Garza Has Fans Asking, "Ian Who?"

So, yeah, Garza looked good today; free and easy. Anyone who cares what they were has probably already seen the raw numbers. Two of the hits he surrendered were a swinging bunt and a deliberate one. Nobody hit anything very hard. He was hitting 94 consistently out of his windup; 92 from the stretch. One of his strikeouts was a nice hard slider that broke down and in on Brett Wallace and got him swinging. Whatever sort of fastball he throws that tails away from lefties was also sharp. He threw a few mid-70’s curveballs. Has he always had that pitch? It was used sparingly. The only 1-2-3 inning was the first.

In other news, I understand the call-up of Sweeney but I wonder if Bryan Bogusevic does. He’s leading the PCL in hitting the last I checked plus he runs well (6/7 in SB’s). He had a run-scoring triple today and seems kinda like Sweeney with speed to me.

Logan Watkins played center today. Yesterday it was Bogusevic in that spot while BJ nurses a case of turf toe. Lotta utility types. Lillibridge was in left yesterday and at 2B today. He’s on a tear here, too; doubled off the CF wall today ahead of the Bogusevic triple. Vitters homered yesterday out of the DH spot but was at 3B this afternoon. I think I saw Ian Stewart dine ‘n dash at the brat stand on the mezzanine today (just kidding). His absence from the lineup has been inconspicuous.

I-Cubs hit the road the rest of the week and are slated to face Aaron Cook and Chris Volstad tomorrow and Wednesday in Colorado. Their manager, Marty Peavy, is one bow-legged SOB, incidentally. Wonder if he’s suffering from George Brett’s disease...

Comments

Mark Prior placed on the DL. "I'm so surprised!" said nobody.

mark prior and tom house are scheduling a news conference to tell everyone who's fault it is this time he's injured as soon as they figure out who to blame.

of course, g.soto gets the 1st TEX hit of the night.

crowd goes wild as feldman steps up to the plate and he tips his hat/helmet to the crowd.

...what he doesn't realize is the bulls just won.

doh.

feldman is pitching a hell of a game through 5, btw...it's a rather ordinary line for a good game (5ip 2h 1bb 3k) but he's been in total control, hitting all his spots, and pitching very efficiently.

haha thats awesome

He's also an RBI machine!

feldman hits for himself...then is replaced to start the inning. i know the cubs are up by 7, but that's a lou pinella move.

7ip 2h 1bb 3k 0er

Interesting shitty stats -

The Cubs are 2nd in the NL with XBH with 106 (Colo 109). And dead last in the NL hitting with RISP with 70 runs scored. A .187 average,.597 OPS (Cinci - .271/.785)

Goddamn, that is atrocious.

However, they are 4th in starting pitching. Again, St. Louis is blowing away the next closest team's starters by more than a point ERA lower. Without Carpenter. Fucking incredible.

It'll all even out. The starting pitching will revert to sucktitude, and the RISP simply has to get better. I'm really tired of the way the Cardinals keep finding ways to win. Can't the Cubs poach some scouts from them?

Come on, Stewart, it's Crunch time!

The next time Starlin Castro goes all Dunston on us at the plate, I'm gonna keep it in perspective, RE: one of the tweets in the tweet box: "Starlin Castro has more hits through his age 22 season (2012) than 25 of the 28 members of the 3000 hit club (Cobb, Yount, Kaline) #Cubs".

I still don't think his ceiling has been reached, either in the field or at the plate. In five years he'll be 28. Baez may want to start taking some grounders at second soon.

Baez might want to choke up on the bat once in awhile too

Baez - 39 K's in 130 AB's in Hi-A (30%)*

*(appropriate disclaimers on his age and what not...still let's not shove Castro out the door quite yet for him**)

** not directed at you of course...

+1 Rob!

I agree that the strike rate it troubling, but is this the result of him being over matched or is he trying to change his approach and work the count more?

well if he's trying to walk more or get better pitches to hit...it certainly hasn't shown in the numbers yet

Well that's troubling.

fwiw, his numbers

237/277/458 (105 OPS+)...tough hitters league for sure. He does have 5 HR's on the year which puts him tied for 3rd with a bunch in the league (well behind #1 Miguel Sano and his 10 HR's).

130 PA, 5 BB (3.8%), 39 K (30%), .311 BABIP

3 for his last 23 with 10 K's

Feldman said he felt the cramping in his hand while warminp up in the 8th.

• A left-handed one...

JoePepitone 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • lester going for #20...cubs haven't had a 20 game winner since d.ellsworth in 1963.

crunch 1 hour 38 min ago view
  • J-Hey not finishing with an offensive onslaught.

If Geoff Blum could be a Playoff hero, there is hope still...

• Giants scare me. I think you're wrong about Bumgarner, he would pitch on short rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5. Cueto would go Game 1, then short rest in game 4. Add in some really tough outs in that lineup and I want nothing to do with them. With that rotation they can easily steal a series.

Cards are a tough matchup. The rivalry evens out their comparable lack of talent. And like someone said, they love HRs, which is how to beat the Cubs. The upside is that I would feel really good about Lester twice against STL.

John Beasley 6 hours 7 min ago view
  • j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 21 hours 47 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

• Who's asking?

jacos 23 hours 33 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

johann 1 day 28 min ago view
  • any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

Rob G. 1 day 50 min ago view
  • Rob Richardson 1 day 5 hours ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 17 hours ago view