We Shall Rumor On...
- Ricky Nolasco got shelled versus the Padres last night, one of the teams rumored to be in on him in trade talks...whether that will stunt his value or not remains to be seen, but it certainly didn't help it in any way. After Garza got himself injured before the Cubs could deal him last season, you kind of hope a deal could be had before Garza's next start on Wednesday versus the A's.
- Buster says the Dbacks and Cubs did talk Jeff Samardzija and the Cubs asked for Archie Bradley and/or Tyler Skaggs and then the talking was done. I presume it must have been both, as he then tweets that the "perception" is that the DBacks would move Tyler Skaggs in the right deal.
- The Cubs were among many teams scouting Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez...rumors be it'll cost upwards of 4/40M (or more) to sign the 26-year old Cuban lefty. The Red Sox and Dodgers seem to be the main competition.
- Speaking of international signings, Baseball America has been big on suggesting the Cubs will look to add some international pool money in some of these trades. Theo said it's something that could happen, but the Cubs' international signing "plan" doesn't require it.
- Nick Cafardo says 3 teams are showing interest in Carlos Marmol. There's always the possibility the Cubs may get someone else's cast off while still paying Marmol the rest of his salary minus the pro-rated version of the minimum.
- Last and certainly least, the Giants are looking for a RH outfield bat...someone like Alfonso Soriano circa 2012.
Well, there was hope...
Mike Olt still awaiting final disposition.
The Cubs are obviously not placing him on Outright Assignment Waivers because they know he will get claimed, so they are probably waiting for best offer in a trade.
Most likely destinations:
1. White Sox
3. San Diego
R Soriano now released by Cubs after prior DFA.
@BruceMiles2112: #Cubs Saturday: Fowler CF, Jackson RF, Bryant LF, Rizzo 1B, Baez 3B, Castro 2B, Ross C, Arrieta P, Russell SS
You are so right. He, Rosenbloom, and you can't forget Rick Bayless' brother.
What a bunch of negative boob journalists. As "columnists" their job is to write their opinions.
But, I stopped listening and reading their trash long ago.
Awesome. If WAS went 22-6 the rest of the way, AND somehow managed to not pass the Mets doing it, the Cubs only need to go 16-13 to get the 2nd Wild Card.
And on the 6th day, He pitches again.
Who else would be appropriate to pitch the day after Godly?
Oh my Lord, Bernie Lincicome is back? He was sport print journalism's first real troll that I remember, long before Rosenbloom started wasting space with his columns.
The more I read about Arrieta, the more I suspect he is not going to be satisfied with a no hitter unless it is followed by another.
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.