Cubs & Snakes Split a Pair at Riverview Park
Rony Rodriguez and Eloy Jimenez belted back-to-back RBI doubles, Ricardo Marcano followed with an RBI single, and Tyler Alamo capped the inning with a two-run home run over the LF fence, as the Cubs plated five runs in the 5th en route to a 7-3 victory over the Diamondbacks on Field #5, and Cesar Carrasco doubled twice and reached base on an error and scored three runs, and Dane McFarland and Sergio Alcantara laced two RBI singles a piece to drive-in a combined four runs, as the D'backs defeated the Cubs 5-1 on Field #6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
SS Elliot Soto (serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) collected three hits (all three hits were singles) and scored a run in the game on Field #5.
Four Cub pitchers on Field #5 combined to strike out 14 Diamondbacks.
The game on Field #6 was called after eight innings.
RHP Dallas Beeler got the start on Field #5, and he labored through 2.2 IP (41 pitches - 31 strikes), allowing two runs on five hits (including three doubles and a triple). He did strike out four, however, and did not issue any walks. Beeler has been battling a "dead arm" since Spring Training, and with a couple of exceptions, has not been able to get his fastball velocity over 89 MPH.
RHRP Kyuji Fujikawa saw his first game action since undergoing elbow ligament replacement surgery (TJS) last May. The veteran closer started the game on Field #6, and was only able to retire one batter (F-8) before leaving the game in the middle of an AB (3-2 count) on the fourth hitter he faced. (He allowed a single and surrendered a walk to the other two hitters). Fujikawa called the trainer, the pitching coach, and his translator out to the mound after his 18th pitch of the inning (a wild pitch), and then after a short discussion, he left the game.
17-year old SS Gleyber Torres had a bad game defensively on Field #6, committing three errors. He muffed two ground balls and dropped a pop fly in shallow CF, the three errors resulting in three unearned runs eventually scoring.
Here is the abridged box score from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, P-6, BB, R, CS)
2. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, R)
3. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 1-4 (F-8, F-7, 2B, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-2 (F-9 SF, K, 2B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-4 (F-8, 3-1, 1B, K, R, RBI)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (HBP, 1-3, HR, 6-3, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 1-2 (BB, BB, F-8, 1B, CS)
8. Mark Malave, 1B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 5-4 FC)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 6-4 FC, K, RBI, 2 PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Dallas Beeler: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Beeler's first inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 3rd base
2. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Michael Wagner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, BB, L-8 DP, SB)
2. Kevin Brown, DH: 1-3 (F-7, BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (K, 1B, L-3, 1B)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-4 (K, F-8, K, 4-6-3 DP)
5. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, 1-3)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-2 (3-1, 4-3, BB)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (K, P-6, 1B)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Kyuji Fujikawa: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 5/2 GO/FO, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP. 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (27 strikes)
NOTE: Hoffner's third inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 3rd base
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Arnaldo Calero - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having the GM talk about being creative with money...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
yeah, i think they know what they're doing, too.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
2014 12th rounder...
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.