Soler Collects an O-fer & Beeler Throws 6-Plus at Riverview Park
Nataniel Delgado belted an RBI triple and a double and scored a run, Brandon Bayardi stroked two RBI singles, and veteran MLB LHP Sean Burnett (2013 elbow surgery rehab) and five relievers combined to toss a three-hitter with ten strikeouts, as the Angels defeated the Cubs 4-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #6 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Jorge Soler (hamstring injury rehab) played RF for five innings (first time he has played in the outfield in about a month) and batted once in each of the first five innings, going 0-5 with five ground outs.
RHP Dallas Beeler continued his EXST rehab assignment, throwing 6.1 IP (60 pitches - 44 strikes) and allowing three runs (all earned) on six hits (five singles and a triple) and a walk, while striking out two and (once again) getting a ton of ground balls (12/3 GO/FO, plus another grounder that turned into an error).
THE PITCHING LINES FROM DALLAS BEELER'S FOUR EXST OUTINGS:
4/14 - 2.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (31 strikes)
4/19 - 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 7/1 GO/FO, 63 pitches (44 strikes)
4/25 - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 9/2 GO/FO, 68 pitches (45 strikes)
4/30 - 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 12/3 GO/FO, 60 pitches (44 strikes)
TOTAL: 18.0 IP, 21 H, 9 R (9 ER), 4 BB, 11 K, 1 PO, 30/6 GO/FO, 71% strikes, 4.50 ERA, 1.39 WHIP
In EXST player news, Cubs 2012 5th round draft pick LHP Anthony Prieto (Americas HS - El Paso,TX) has undergone "Tommy John" ligament replacement surgery (TJS) on his left elbow and will miss the 2014 season. The 20-year old lefty threw only 40 innings (combined) for the AZL Cubs over his first two seasons in the Cub organization.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Jorge Soler, RF: 0-5 (6-3, 1-3, 5-3, 5-3, 6-3)
NOTE Soler batted third in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (L-7, K, 1B, P-3, R)
2. Justin Marra, C: 1-3 (K, F-7, BB, 3B)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (F-8 SF, K, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-4 (2B, F-9, K, K)
5. Roney Alcala, 3B: 0-3 (K, 3-U, 6-3)
6. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (K, K, 6-3)
7. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 0-2 (K, 4-3, BB)
8. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3, BB)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 0-2 (6-3, HBP, K, R)
1. Dallas Beeler: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 12/3 GO/FO, 60 pitches (44 strikes)
2. David Garner: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/0 GO/FO, 24 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Jose Paulino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. C Justin Marra - E-2 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P David Garner - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Can we please stop pointing out how ridiculous it is to panic and start panicking in earnest?
,571 winning percentage in May.
I think they're gonna be OK.
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.