Wed Funnies...meanwhile, back at Wrigley Field...

Timing has never been kind to the Cubs, and this "Party of the Century" is really, really unfortunate.

When I heard the first little blip about it being 1930's week and they mentioned "paint the sign green" and "Benjamin Moore" in the same sentence, well this one just wrote itself.
I'm totally a "Kool Aid drinker", as the beat guy for the Sun Times likes to call me (and you), and this will be the hardest season by far.
They're really not ready to bring people up.
To manage my own expectations, I've taken the possibility off the table in my own head.
Imagine if Javier Baez was in the Bigs right now...
Theo and Jed, before this season is over, are going to have to be thicker-skinned than anybody affilitated with the Cubs ever had to be.
Lee Elia?
A total sissy.
Next year, you have to think, they'll be able to show a tiny bit of The Plan coming to life.
In the Bigs.
Did you see Coghlan's at bat in the top of the 9th last night?
Yeah, Rosenthal's pretty good, but...
That at bat made me yell more unrepeatable words at the dogs than anything else that happened.

Besides Castro and Rizzo and assorted pitchers, about the only reason to watch right now is Mike Olt.
Not just for dingers, either - if Mike Olt can play third base and just be ummm... rookie-respectable - he seems like the one 2014 guy who Theo and Jed can point to and say, "See? Progress."
His role in the overall deal can be huge.
And his time is now so let him play every single day.

Comments

"And his time is now so let him play every single day."

Yeah -- good luck with that.

I don't have any dogs to yell at but that Coghlan at-bat had me scratching my head.

He did see three pitches, you have to give him that. Coghlan made it to the majors as an on-base guy (.383 OBP in the minors) with more walks than strikeouts.

It used to be, you could depend on a Cub hitter getting up there and hacking. That's changing, and for the better. But sometimes you'll get the opposite problem where he won't be able to pull the trigger.

He bailed out on three fast balls.

He acted like they were going to him on the ass.

Odorizzi had a no-hitter through 5.2 IP....sitting on my fantasy bench.

#firstworldproblems

CubbyBlue this one is epic and AMAZING! Laughed my ass off at the end too . .

Thanks Carlito. I think I babbled too much underneath though.

No game

• Please do not discuss War here. I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.

But yes, whether you support War or Peace...Mike Trout is ridiculously consistent and good.

blockhead25 38 min 25 sec ago view
  • ^^^#WARTruther

Rob G. 50 min 9 sec ago view
  • "According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, Tim Tebow's baseball workout Tuesday in Los Angeles will be attended by scouts from "roughly half" of the 30 major league teams."

"One scout told ESPN.com last week that Tebow's swing is so long it might "take out the front row." That's not a good thing."

• MyrtleBeachPelicans [email protected]

The #MBpelicans and @Cubs have extended their PDC through 2020!
    ----
    Carolina League getting 2 new teams too.

QuietMan 3 hours 40 min ago view
  • CF WAR is ridiculous...billy hamilton is pulling a 3.0 WAR somehow...and managed a 2.0 WAR last year (even though he missed a month of the season)...and a 3.7 WAR in 2014.

yeah, a lot depends on how one is doing relative to others at a given position, but WAR is common used (right or wrong) as a blanket comparing all kinds of players.

trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo.

• Rob G. 4 hours 19 min ago view
  • Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo

jacos 6 hours 52 min ago view
  • 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 21 hours 23 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 21 hours 51 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.