Cubs Trade Russell and Speedy Neifi to Braves
Yesteday, the Cubs acquired LHP Felix Doubront for a player to be named later from the Boston Red Sox. A trade that I like a whole lot presuming the PTBNL isn't much and considering Doubront's ability to strikeout many hitters. A move to the NL Central certainly won't hurt his numbers either.
Today, the deadline has been rocking and the Cubs big moves were out of the way earlier in the month, but they have just traded Bonifacio and James Russell to the Braves. In return, they got catcher Victor Caratini, the Braves second round pick from last year. Here's what Sickels had to say about him before the season:
10) Victor Caratini, 3B-C, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Solid line drive hitter with good strike zone judgment, hit just one homer in the Appy League but some scouts believe that the homers will come in time. Others aren’t sure, but at least he has a good eye. Will be interesting to see how he adapts defensively.
After the jump, a breakdown of some of the other trades from the last few days...
- Cardinals get RHP Justin Masterson for OF prospect James Ramsey
- Cardinals get RHP John Lackey and LHP Corey Littrell from Red Sox for OF/1B Allen Craig and RHP Joe Kelly
- Brewers get OF Geraldo Parra from DBacks for OF Mitch Haniger, LHP Anthony Banda
- A's get LHP Jon Lester, OF Johnny Gomes and cash for OF Yoenis Cespedes and a competitive balance pick
- A's get OF Sam Fuld for LHP Tommy Milone
- Yankees acquire INF/OF Martin Prado for 1B prospect Pete O'Brien (3rd in the minors behind Joey Gallo and Bryant for HR's) and cash.
- Yankees and Red Sox swap INF Stephen Drew for INF/OF Kelly Johnson
- Marlins acquire RHP Jared Cosart, INF Kiki Hernandez, OF Austin Wates from Astros for OF Jake Marisnick, INF Colin Moran, RHP Francis Martes and competitive balance pick
- Tigers acquire LHP David Price in a 3-team swap with Rays getting LHP Drew Smyly, INF Willy Adames and INF Nick Franklin from the Mariners, who get OF Austin Jackson (that seems like an awful trade for the Rays).
- Orioles get LHP Andrew Miller from Red Sox for LHP Eduardo Rodriguez
- Mariners get OF Chris Denorfia for OF Abraham Almonte and RHP Stephen Kohlscheen from the Padres
Huzzah, you step out for 2 hours and all hell breaks loose. Some fun deals, really love how the Red Sox got major leaguers in their deals. Cardinals look well poised for another late season run and the Rays seemed to whiff on a deal, unless Drew Smyly is a lot better than I think he is.
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.