Game 10 Thread / Cubs @ Phillies (1 of 3)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP Carlos Zambrano SP Brett Myers
  1-0, 1.32, 12 K, 1 BB 0-1, 6.30, 6 K, 5 BB

LF Alfonso Soriano CF #Shane Victorino
CF *Kosuke Fukudome 3B *Greg Dobbs
1B Derrek Lee 2B *Chase Utley
3B Aramis Ramirez 1B *Ryan Howard
RF *Daryle Ward LF Pat Burrell
C Geovany Soto RF *Geoff Jenkins
2B Mark DeRosa C Carlos Ruiz
SS Ryan Theriot SS Eric Bruntlett
P
#Carlos Zambrano P Brett Myers

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if Zambrano can keep up a twelve to one K:BB ratio, he'll win the Cy Young. You heard it here first. Z's start did get pushed up a day, although Mother Nature is threatening to push him right back with 50-60% chance of showers for tonight in Philly. Brett Myers vowed to be more aggressive tonight...on the mound; Mrs. Myers need not worry. The reigning, undeserved MVP, Jimmy Rollins sits another night with a sprained ankle but is available to pinch-hit. If they do get the game in, the Cubs will try to extend their winning streak to six.

____________________________

If you liked this article, consider supporting us during TCR's April Pledge Drive.

Comments

And so the F-Bomb centerfield experiment begins.

well we know it won't last long if it's accompanied by the Daryle Ward in RF experiment. Hope Z's sinker is working versus all those lefties in the lineup.

Are we possibly looking at a Pie to Iowa Murton to RF situation? Or is this just a day off so Pie can get his stuff together and get right back at it?

I talk about it a little in the Friday Notes post above this one...

Reed Johnson though will definitely play the next 2 games though against Hamels and Moyer.

i f'n hate ward in RF...ranks up there with sticking aram at SS to me.

ward was a bad RF'r many years and dozens of lbs. ago. he was a bad OF'r, period, not long after that...

philly's RF isnt exactly a small place to patrol, though its not COL.

If teams needs a swinging third strike from Soriano it's breaking ball low and away. He looks like Sammy '96/'97 out there.

so you are telling me soriano is due next year for 60?

Yeah, he looks bad on those pitches, always lunging at them.

Quick sucky game....I just hope they win one in Philly for a 4-2 road trip.

No rick-roll or whatever that was...just some Fukudome love to spread around. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVf288Z-euY

Go Cubs!

• crunch 4 hours 31 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 4 hours 31 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 5 hours 4 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 5 hours 28 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 36 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 46 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 5 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.