20 Hottest Last Ten

When judging the performance of a prospect or minor league position player at the plate, player development people usually look most-closely at what the player has done over his last ten games rather than over the entire season, since the whole point of playing in the minor leagues is for a player to improve as the season progresses. (For starting pitchers, it's the last three starts, and for relievers, it's the last six outings).

Here are the 20 hottest Cubs minor league position players at the plate over their last ten games (BA/OBP/SLG):

* bats left
# bats both

AT PEORIA:
Jovan Rosa, 1B - 412/474/705 (was moved to 1B to get max PT, but is really a 3B)
Marquez Smith, 3B - 282/359/590
Josh Donaldson, C - 270/342/513 (also 46% CS)

AT DAYTONA:
Darwin Barney, SS - 351/378/368
* James Adduci, RF - 349/364/388
* Mark Reed, C - 346/467/462 (also 56% CS)
* Blake Lalli, 1B - 350/366/375 (also catches occasionally)
Ty Wright, LF - 325/357/425
* Jonathan Wyatt, CF - 289/400/395

AT TENNESSEE:
* Steve Clevenger, C - 345/441/621 (also plays 1B)
* Doug Deeds, 1B - 355/428/484 (also plays LF-RF)
Jake Fox, LF - 333/348/575 (just got demoted to AA due to numbers crunch at AAA)
* Nate Spears, 2B - 333/389/424
Ryan Harvey, RF - 286/333/500

AT IOWA:
# Andres Torres, CF - 366/447/561 (also 24 games hit streak)
Tony Richie, C - 314/352/543
# Andres Blanco, SS - 364/400/394
* Josh Kroeger, RF - 293/358/439
Casey McGehee, 3B - 302/302/535 (also catches occasionally)
Matt Murton, LF - 476/593/476 over last six games since being demoted to AAA from Cubs (also has ZERO XBH in 75 PA at AAA in 2008 over two separate stints).

Comments

Matt Murton, LF - 667/708/351

How can SLG be less than BA? Seems that if all hits are singles, hits should equal total bases, and TB/AB should equal hits/AB.

CRAIG: Thanks for catching that. The numbers were from something completely different. They have been corrected.

Speaking of prospects...

Smardjza (sp) got absolutely hammered tonight, and Colvin went 0-4 with 3 K's and is hitting .223.

Yuck.

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 4 hours 50 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 5 hours 16 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.