Cubs Bore-nstein A's to Tears with Grand Slam and One-Hitter at Fitch Park
SP Justin Steele and five relievers combined to hurl a one-hit shutout, Robel Garcia belted a solo HR and an RBI single, Eddy Julio Martinez drilled two RBI singles, walked, and scored, and Jhonny Bethencourt hammered a single and a double, stole a base, and scored two runs, as the Tennessee Smokies (Chicago Cubs AA affiliate) blanked the Midland RockHounds (Oakland Athletics AA afffiliate) 8-0 on Field #3, and Zach Borenstein walloped a monster grand slam HR over the CF batter's eye, Zack Short ripped a solo HR and an RBI single and scored two runs, Fernando Arcia singled twice, walked, stole a base, and drove-in a run, and SP Duncan Robinson hurled 4.2 IP of one-run ball (he gave up his only run on a sac fly on his 71st and final pitch), propelling the Iowa Cubs (AAA affiliate of the Cubs) to a 7-1 victory over the Las Vegas Aviators (AAA affiliate of the A's) on Field #4, in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training game action Saturday afternoon at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Of the ten Cubs minor league pitchers who threw in the games at Fitch Park on Saturday, only two (Duncan Robinson and George Kontos) are actually assigned to the AAA Iowa squad at Minor League Camp. The other eight who threw (including two who pitched in the AAA game) are assigned to the AA Tennessee squad.
Speaking of the AA Tennessee pitching staff, with Bailey Clark throwing three innings for Tennessee in Friday's intrasquad game at Riverview and Ian Clarkin and Tyson Miller working out of the Smokies bullpen Saturday at Fitch Park (each threw only 19 pitches), it would appear that the Cubs may be prepping Clark to be a SP and Clarkin and T. Miller to be bullpen guys at Tennessee (which is the exact opposite of how things looked just a week ago).
Here are the abridged box scores from Saturday's games (Cubs players only):
1a. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-3 (1B, K, FC, SB, CS)
1b. Jared Young, LF: 1-1 (BB, 1B, R)
2. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, 1B, BB, P-6, R, 2 RBI)
3. Nico Hoerner, SS-DH: 0-3 (BB, 2-3, 4-3, F-9 SF, E-9, RBI)
4. Robel Garcia, 3B: 2-4 (6-3 DP, HR, 6-3, 1B, L-3 DP, R, 2 RBI)
5a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, E-3, L-6)
5b. P. J. Higgins, 2B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
6. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 2-3 (BB, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, 2B, R)
7. Jhonny Pereda, C-DH: 0-4 (6-4-3 DP, 6-3, 5-4 FC, K)
8. Luis Ayala, CF: 2-4 (4-3, 1B, F-9, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Jhonny Bethencourt, DH-SS: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 2B, K, 2 R, SB)
10. Cam Balego, DH-C: 1-2 (1B, F-8, R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Justin Steele: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Ian Clarkin: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Tyson Miller: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Oscar de la Cruz: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Scott Effross: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cam Balego: 0-1 CS
1a. Donnie Dewees, CF: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, F-9)
1b. Connor Myers, CF: 1-1 (3B, R)
2. Fernando Arcia, DH #1: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, BB, 1B, RBI, SB)
3. Jacob Hannemann, RF-CF: 0-4 (F-8, K, K, K)
4a. Phillip Evans, 3B-DH: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, K, R)
4b. Raymond Pena, PH: 1-1 (1B)
5. Jim Adduci, 1B: 1-4 (1B, F-9, L-4, F-7, R)
6. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-3 (HBP, 1B, K, K, R, PO)
7a. Zach Short, SS: 2-3 (1B, P-3, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7b. Luis Diaz, 3B: 0-1 (6-3)
8a. Zack Borenstein, DH #2: 1-3 (HR, K, 4-3, R, 4 RBI)
8b. Aramis Ademan, SS: NO AB
9a. Ian Rice, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
9b. Tyler Payne, C: 1-1 (1B)
10. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, 2 SB, CS)
1. Duncan Robinson: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 6/3 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. George Kontos: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 18 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Zach Hedges: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 29 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Jordan Minch: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: 1
SS Zach Short: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Tyler Payne thrown out 8-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 13 hours 20 min ago (view)
Charlie 14 hours 15 min ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 16 hours 54 min ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 17 hours 40 min ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 37 min ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 18 hours 37 min ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 18 hours 39 min ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 18 hours 42 min ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day
crunch 18 hours 44 min ago (view)
cubs win! about time.
Eric S 18 hours 52 min ago (view)
Cubs have to scratch mightily to get two runs against the mighty second half buccos
crunch 19 hours 24 min ago (view)
K, diving catch by happ for an out, HBP to load the bases, ground out
PIT has loaded the bases 3 times in this game.
crunch 19 hours 33 min ago (view)
...and we're doing more 0 out, men on base stuff...
2 on, 0 outs...up to 103 pitches and lester's day is done.
bullpen time. oh. boy. neat.
crunch 19 hours 45 min ago (view)
bryant has not forgotten how to hit homers.
crunch 19 hours 48 min ago (view)
2 on, 0 out, and also gets out of that.
btw, bryant has forgotten how to play 3rd base the past 2 innings...da hell...
crunch 20 hours 2 min ago (view)
no one scores! hell yeah. phew.
crunch 20 hours 8 min ago (view)
walking the pitcher to load the bases with 0 outs.
this cubbery is thicker than the humidity.