Two-Out 9th Inning Magic Saves the Day for I-Cubs at Fitch
Jason Vosler hammered an opposite-field game-tying two-run double off the LF fence with two out in the top of the 9th and Ian Rice followed with a two-run home run over the left-centerfield fence to give the Cubs a two-run lead, and then Ryan McNeil converted the save (albeit allowing a run and stranding the potential game-tying run on base in the bottom of the 9th), as the Iowa Cubs (AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) rallied to edge the Nashville Sounds (AAA affiliate of the Oakland Athletics) 6-5 on Field #4, and Jesse Hodges belted a two-run HR over the LF fence onto Center Street to give the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) a 2-0 lead in the top of the 2nd, but Skye Bolt belted an RBI triple and scored, singled, and walked, as the Midland RockHounds (A's AA affiliate) plated four runs over the next seven innings en route to a 4-2 victory on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action Monday afternoon at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fiitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
As usual, several players were moved-up from lower-levels for the day to replace Iowa and Tennessee players assigned to the Cubs MLB game roster at Goodyear.
It was a "bullpen day" for the Smokies, as five relievers vying for pen jobs at Tennessee got work. There were no stand-out eve-opening performances among the five (Pugliese, Skulina, Thorpe, Minch, and Norwood).
Meanwhile, RHSP Jordan Pries (acquired from the Seattle Mariners along with LHP Mike Montgomery for 1B Dan Vogelbach and RHSP Paul Blackburn last June) got the start for the I-Cubs, in what might be his final opportinity to win a job at AAA. It will be tough for Pries to crack the Iowa starting rotation in 2017, and his 87-88 MPH fastball and OK (but not great) off-speed stuff probably don't have a whole lot of value out of the bullpen. However, he might find a job as a SP/RP "swing-man" at Iowa if he can beat-out Casey Kelly, Seth Frankoff, Williams Perez, and/or Dallas Beeler for a AAA "utility pitcher" slot.
Veteran minor league RHRP Frank Batista saw his first game action since undergoing an elbow UCL transplant (TJS) last April, and retired the side 1-2-3 (5-3, K, F-9). The 27-year old (soon to be 28) diminutive (5'10) Batista has been around a while (he signed with the Cubs as an IFA out of the Dominican Republic in January 2009), but you could see he was stoked about his outing.
Here are the abridged box scores from the games (Cubs players only):
1a. Charcer Burks, LF-DH: 1-4 (5-3, 5-3, 1B, P-6)
1b. Richard Nunez, PH: 0-1 (F-9)
2a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, 4-3, SB, CS)
2b. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-1 (K+WP)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-3 (F-8, BB, 1B, K, CS)
4. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, K, P-6, R)
5a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (HR, F-8, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5b. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-1 (P-6)
6. Brandon Cummins, DH-LF: 0-4 (K, K, 4-3, 4-3)
7. Tolly Filotei, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, K, BB)
8a. Erick Castillo, C: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, 5-3)
8b. Tyler Pearson, C: 1-1 (1B)
9. Andrew Ely, 2B: 1-4 (K, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, F-9)
1. James Pugliese: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Tyler Skulina: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 31 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Tommy Thorpe: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Jordan Minch: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
5. James Norwood: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 27 pitches (14 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-2 CS
1. Robert Garcia, RF: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, F-8, 4-6 FC, 2 R, SB)
2a. Zack Short, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
2b. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
3. Jason Vosler, 1B: 1-2 (F-9 SF, BB, K, 2B, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Cael Brockmeyer, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-4 FC)
4b. Ian Rice, C: 1-2 (P-4, HR, R, 2 RBI)
5. Ali Solis, C-DH: 0-4 (6-3, K, P-3, 5-3)
6a. Mark Zagunis, DH #2: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, K)
6b. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 0-1 (4-3)
7a. Trent Giambrone, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, P-2)
7b. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 1-1 (2B)
8. Stephen Bruno, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, F-9, R)
9. Daniel Spingola, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, CS)
10. Trey Martin, CF-DH: 0-1 (K, F-7 SF, BB, RBI)
1. Jordan Pries: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 3/3 GO/AO, 53 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Miguel Mejia: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/4 GO/AO, 37 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Zac Rosscup: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
6. Ryan McNeil: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: 1
3B Stephen Bruno: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
Eric S 32 min 58 sec ago (view)
And Joe pinch hits for Descalso again today - now 205/277/316 on the year. But no need to put a jumpy-jump in the parking lot during spring training like they did last year for TLS so it balances out.
crunch 56 min 7 sec ago (view)
tommy lastella hit his 12th homer of the year...grand slam.
tim815 1 hour 28 min ago (view)
Not sure why any of the teams would only have enough talent for one XSL game.
crunch 2 hours 41 min ago (view)
aww...cubs were a pest all game, but couldn't overcome.
crunch 2 hours 44 min ago (view)
omfg chatwood...with the bat.
crunch 2 hours 45 min ago (view)
RIP heyward's bat.
shout out to bo jackson...that was a clean break.
it was a swing/miss with no contact so it's doubtful it was a cracked bat.
Eric S 3 hours 11 min ago (view)
Bullpen reclamation project Kyle Ryan’s ERA now 5.06. Bummer
crunch 3 hours 28 min ago (view)
wow baez...also, wow rizzo.
call overturned, but that was a hell of an "almost" play.
crunch 6 hours 19 min ago (view)
he's thrown so little of his other stuff lately that i can't even guess and sure don't know.
he's always been fastball-heavy, but it's almost exclusively fastball now.
he gets movement on a 95-97mph fastball...that's a positive about it if he's gonna continously offer it up.
VirginiaPhil 6 hours 24 min ago (view)
crunch 6 hours 48 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / rizzo / contreras / heyward / almora / descalso / lester / bote
i guess we're in for 2-20 random games of "pitcher hits 8th" before suddenly deciding that's not a thing anymore...again
crunch 13 hours 11 min ago (view)
it had to feel good for him to get that standing O at the home ballpark.
he's still throwing almost nothing but fastballs exclusively, though...wonder what's up with that.
Hagsag 14 hours 2 min ago (view)
Chatwood is becoming a force in the BP.
QuietMan 22 hours 42 min ago (view)
crunch 23 hours 1 min ago (view)
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
crunch 23 hours 47 min ago (view)