Moises Ballesteros blasted a two-run HR over the RF fence, drilled an RBI single and scored, and drew a walk, Cristian Hernandez belted a solo HR over the LF fence and lined a double into the LF corner and scored, Christian Olivo singled twice and score a run, and RP Joel Sierra hurled two innings of no-run / no-hit ball while hitting 100 MPH with his FB to pick-up the win, as the Cubs rallied to edge the Diamondbacks Red squad 7-6 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Whirlwind Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Jefferson Pena laced an RBI double, walked, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another with a sacrifice fly for the D'backs.
The game was pre-planned as a seven-inning affair, and the Cubs played as the home team.
With his big day at the plate, Moises Ballesteros is now hitting 286/396/429 in 17 Cactus League EXST games (53 PA), with a 19% BB-rate and a 19% K-rate. He also has thrown out six of twelve baserunners attempting steal against him (50% CS), and has picked a runner off 2nd base.
Cristian Hernandez has now hit five HR in 21 EXST games, including three in Cactus League games (one was an inside-the-park job) and two in intrasquad games. Over the course of the 17 Cactus League EXST games (58 PA) in which he has played, Hernandez is htting 187/311/479, with a 14% BB-rate and a 35% K-rate that includes three three-strikeout games in the first week. Combining his 17 Cactus League EXST games with his four EXST intrasquad games (Blue vs Red) for a total of 21 games, Hernandez is hitting 245/360/566, with a 14% BB-rate and a 31% K-rate. He has made only two errors (both were fielding errors), while turning in several outstanding defensive stops & throws.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Christian Olivo, CF: 2-3 (1B, F-8 DP, 1B, R)
2. Cristian Hernandez, SS: 2-3 (4-3, HR, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
3. Moises Ballesteros, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, BB, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI)
4. Frank Hernandez, LF: 1-3 (1B, L-7 DP, F-9)
5. Rafael Morel, 3B: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
6a. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-1 (F-9 SF-DP, 4-3, RBI)
6b. Joanfran Rojas, 2B: 1-1 (2B, R)
7a. Miguel Pabon, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
7b. Flemin Bautista, RF: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
8a. Raino Coran, RF: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, R, SB)
8b. Dilan Granadillo, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Matt Warkentin, DH #2: 1-2 (1B, E-6, SB)
10. Bryan Serra, 1B: 0-1 (BB, 2-3)
1. Kenyi Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 4 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 3 WP, 1/3 GO/AO, 55 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Zac Leigh: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Tomy Sanchez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (21 strikes)
4. Joel Sierra: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 25 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Cristian Hernandez: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. CF Christian Olivo: E-8 (errant throw home on RBI single allowed batter to advance to 3rd)
3. P Tomy Sanchez: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Miguel Pabon: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
2. Dilan Granadillo; 0-1 CS, 2 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Raino Coran - runner thrown out 9-5 attempting to advance to 3rd base after errant pick-off attempt at 1st (see Sanchez E-1 above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"