Cubs @ Dodgers: Series Thread (Games 75-78)

The Cubs (41-33) have won four out of their last ten and fallen a half game behind the Brewers for the division lead. The'll spend their next ten games on the road, and they'll begin with a tough four-game assignment against the second in the NL West Dodgers (44-29). See below for the pitching matchups.

Game 75, Thursday, June 24, 9:10 pm central

CHC: RHP Zach Davies (4-4, 4.66 ERA)

LAD: RHP Walker Buehler (7-0, 2.38 ERA)

Davies worked through six innings at Wrigley while allowing eight earned runs to the Marlins in his last start. Before that, he had two consecutive scoreless starts of 6.0 and 6.2 innings.

Buehler is the first of several dominant starters the Cubs will face on this 10-game road trip. Last time out, he struck out eleven hitters over 7.1 innings and allowed two earned runs. He did not earn a decision in his prior start against the Cubs this season, going six innings and allowing two earned runs while striking out eight.

Game 76, Friday, June 25, 9:10 pm central

CHC: RHP Jake Arrieta (5-8, 5.45 ERA)

LAD: RHP Tony Gonsolin (0-0, 3.00 ERA)

Arrieta has been kind of a mess lately, making only one decent start over his last five. In his most recent start, he went only three innings and allowed six runs, four earned. It was his first walkless start of the season, but that doesn't really count as a silver lining when you give up six hits including two homers.

The 27-year-old Gonsolin debuted with the Dodgers in 2019 and had 14 major league starts under his belt going into the season. He's been quite effective in that time, keeping his career ERA under three so far. In his three 2021 starts, he has yet to see the end of the fourth inning, and he was a bit wild in his first two.

Game 77, Saturday, June 26, 6:15 pm central

CHC: RHP Alec Miills (3-1, 5.18 ERA)

LAD: LHP Luis Urias (9-3, 3.99 ERA)

It's hard to complain about Alec Mills. Expectations for him are roughly nil, and he's given Cubs fans a no hitter while serving mostly as a swing man and long reliever. In his three starts this season, he's held opponents to five earned runs and eaten 13.1 innings. His last start was his most effective, when went five and held Miami scoreless.

Urías entered the season a five-year veteran, which makes it hard to believe he's still only 24. 2021 is shaping up to be one of his better years despite the slightly higher ERA--he's actually improved his strikeout rate and walk rate so far. He did get knocked around a bit by the Padres; they scored six earned runs in 4.1 innings in his last start.

Game 78, Sunday, June 27, 6:08 pm central

CHC: RHP Adbert Alzolay (4-6, 4.19 ERA)

LAD: LHP Clayton Kershaw (8-7, 3.43 ERA)

Alzolay's slider and his recently blistered finger both appear to have survived the first round of "sticky stuff" enforcement in his last game. He took the loss but turned in a fairly typical Alzolay start. He struck out five and surrendered a pair of homers to Cleveland in 4.1 innings.

Kershaw is enjoying somewhat of a resurgence in 2021. The veteran lefty has already struck out 111 opponents, and the season has not yet reached its halfway point. Last time out he took the loss but only allowed three earned runs in six innings while striking out seven Padres. He lasted only one innings against the Cubs back on May 4, when he allowed four earned runs on four hits and two walks. It was the shortest start of the future Hall of Famer's career and he made no excuses. Watch out for a possible chip on his shoulder.

Comments

Great stuff, Charlie - Thanks!

Decent start to the road trip.

was wondering when that combined no-hitter thing was gonna kick in for TCR...

i missed it because i was a victim of "this game starts at 10pm my time" and a horrible lifestyle condition called "i got a job to get to at 7am"

Lotta that going around.

TCR readers coming into this one like Kimbrel coming into the 9th.

is brian roberts a cub yet?

He probably has kids that could be selected in the draft at this point.

a.nola (that guy the cubs should have gotten rather than schwarber *cough*) K's 10 in a row to start vs the mets.  ties seaver.

11Ks through 4ip.  66 pitches.

seriously, though...we like schwarber...everyone likes schwarber.

brews tie in the bottom 9th with a 2r HR.  boo.

trey mancini invited to this year's HR derby, O's have no objection, and he's expected to take the offer.

wow.  impressive.  14 HR and 16 doubles...it's a legit invite.

dodgers have scored 2 runs off 8 hits + 2 walks + 1 wild pitch in 4 innings of work from a.mills.

damn the camera setup in dodger stadium is ass.  the nets just make it worse.

i have no idea wtf they can't redo their camera setup.  this isn't just fox, this is every telecast the past many years.  this is one of the worst TV broadcast parks in the majors.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan...

cubs lose on a 9th inning walkoff...brews won earlier today...

There's a very real chance we're down 4-6 games in the division by the end of the Brewers series. In Milwaukee and facing the 3 SP of theirs we've faced like 50 times this year.

pj higgins needs TJ surgery.  damn.

he's not a cubs priority, but that's cold for a guy just getting his first taste at age 28.

re: Heyward's Foul Ball - FWIW, after finally seeing the video, I think it was proabably foul. Can't really see the ball due to the twilight, frame rate, not zooming in for some reason, etc. But the fan reactions were all pretty spontaneous waving foul and/or cheers at it going foul. I think if it had been fair, there would have been a few more immediate negative reactions followed by trying to "sell it" foul.

dodger stadium needs to make that park 2022-ready with a total revamp of many of their camera staging areas.  it's horrible what they can get and miss with their setups.  in 2021 there's no reason the only shots of that foul ball couldn't be clearly tracked.

alzolay doesn't have it today.  he's up there looking like oldschool maples.

yeah, and giving up a homer after walking 3 guys is a hell of a thing.

ugg.  alzolay and the homer is gonna be painful if he can't figure this out.

...and another homer.

I think that interview with Trevor Bauer was one of the best 7 minutes of baseball broadcasting I've listened to in a LONG time. Intelligent, candid, insightful. Despite his attitude and temper, he would likely be VERY successful in broadcasting in the future if he chooses to do so.

My girlfriend made a very accurate observation about the ESPN booth: they talk way too much. I admire JD's ability to give a slow yet interesting broadcast, which Boog seems to have adapted to aswell.

i like len, but boog/jd seems to work a bit better than len/jd.  the jokes flow a bit less clumbsy.

i miss len/bob...really enjoyed them working games as a duo.

• Cubster 44 min 56 sec ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 4 hours 28 min ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 16 hours 19 min ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 21 hours 34 min ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 1 day 21 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 6 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 2 days 13 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.