Thomas Hatch Perfect in Pro Game Debut at Riverview
Yeiler Peguero drilled a two-run double, singled twice, and scored a run, Luis Ayala ripped an RBI double, singled, walked, scored two runs, and threw out a runner at the plate, Wladimir Galindo belted a double and a triple and drove-in a run with a sacrifice fly, and RHSP Thomas Hatch (Cubs 2016 3rd round pick making his pro game debut) hurled two perfect innings and combined with five relievers to toss a four-hitter, as Team Banks defeated Team Santo 6-1 in Cubs Arizona Instructional League intrasquad game action this morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after eight innings of play.
Christian Villanueva (on Cubs MLB 60-day DL) played third base for Team Santo and went 0-2 with a walk. This was Villanueva's first game action since breaking his leg seven months ago in Spring Training.
As was the case last year, the Cubs "basic" (traditional) instructs squad will not be playing AZIL league games against other organizations, but they will be playing several intrasquad games over the course of the next three weeks.
Here is the box score from today's game:
TEAM SANTO LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF-DH: 0-1 (5-3, 2-3 SH)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-3 (5-3, K, HBP, 5-3)
3. Connor Myers, LF: 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, K, RBI)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (F-9, 1B, K, 1-3)
5. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 0-2 (F-8, 4-3, BB)
6. Jonathan Sierra, DH-RF: 0-3 (6-3, K, E-7)
7a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (K, K)
7b. Michael Cruz, C: 0-1 (FC)
8. Jose Gutierrez, RF-CF: 0-3 (F-9, 3-U, K)
9. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
10. Christopher Morel, DH #2: 1-2 (1B, BB, 5-3, R)
TEAM BANKS LINEUP:
1. Luis Ayala, RF: 2-3 (1B, L-7, 2B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
2. Yeiler Peguero, 2B-DH: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Aramis Ademan, SS: 1-4 (5-4-3 DP, 5-U FC, 4-3, 2B, R, RBI, SB)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 2-3 (2B, 6-3, 3B, F-8 SF, RBI)
5. Chris Pieters, CF: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, F-7, P-3)
6a. Sam Tidaback, C: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 6-3)
6b. Gustavo Polanco, C: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Kwang-Min Kwon, LF: 0-3 (5-3, K, HBP, F-7)
8. Zack Short, DH-2B: 1-2 (BB, 1B+E4, BB, L-4, R, SB)
9. Rafael Narea, 3B: 0-2 (4-U FC, BB, F-8, R)
10. Miguel Amaya, DH #2:1-3 (1B, P-6, P-3)
NOTE: AMAYA & AYALA SWITCHED SLOTS LAST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
TEAM SANTO PITCHERS:
1. Brailyn Marquez: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 5/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Kyle Miller: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Javier Assad: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Manuel Rondon: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 5 pitches (4 strikes)
5. Carlos Ocampo: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 0/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Dakota Mekkes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
7. Wyatt Short: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TEAM BANKS PITCHERS:
1. Thomas Hatch: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
2. Matt Swarmer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Junior Marte: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Holden Cammack: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Jed Carter: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Chad Hockin: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TEAM SANTO ERRORS: 1
2B Yonathan Perlaza: E-4 (errant throw on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
TEAM BANKS ERRORS: 1
LF Kwang-Min Kwon: E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
TEAM SANTO CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jhonny Pereda: 1-2 CS
2. Michael Cruz: 0-1 CS
TEAM BANKS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 1
RF Luis Ayala - threw out baserunner (Christopher Morel) 9-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on single to RF
TEAM SANTO OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 1
CF Jose Gutierrez - threw out batter (Chris Pieters) 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Overcast & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Charlie 4 hours 6 min ago (view)
Lol at Nico getting nominated for riding the bench a lot.
crunch 6 hours 5 min ago (view)
RF Jason Heyward, SS Javier Baez, 2B Nico Hoerner, 1B Anthony Rizzo, C Willson Contreras, and Ps Kyle Hendricks and Alec Mills gold glove finalists
bradsbeard 10 hours 46 sec ago (view)
Thank you, sir! Sounds like a nice get for the Cubs, and a good project for (what's left of) the new development infrastructure.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 49 min ago (view)
There have been some holes in the AZIL east-side schedule, with one team canceling games last week (although they are back playing this week) and another canceling game this week due to CoViD-19 issue, so the other teams (like the Cubs) are making up some of the "lost" games with intrasquad and in-house "sim" games.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 44 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: From what I have seen of Jacob Wetzel so far (BP, fielding practice, base-running drills, sim games, AZIL games, and yesterday's intasquad game), I would say he looks like a football running back playing baseball in that he has a high motor and plays with a bit of an edge.
He has a thick body but he also has plus speed (very much like a football running back in that respect), he runs the bases aggressively, makes hard contact, has HR power, a decent arm, maybe can use some work in the outfield as far as tracking balls.
bradsbeard 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Phil, curious if you've seen enough of Jacob Wetzel to offer an initial scouting report. Just from watching some prep video he looked pretty strong and fairly athletic (HS football player and all). Impressive numbers albeit in community college, but he was a division 1 recruit before that so he's pretty intriguing to me.
KingKongvsGodzilla 2 days 23 hours ago (view)
AZPhil, thank you for these updates! It's a nice little pick me up during this dumb year. If you have anything to say on Yohendrick Pinango, Joel Machado, Rafael Morel, or Richard Gallardo, I would love to hear it! Thanks again!
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
jim hickey new nats pitching coach.
bradsbeard 4 days 3 hours ago (view)
Several non-prospects ate up spots as well. Ultimately wish they had given a few more Rivas types a shot there.
tim815 4 days 4 hours ago (view)
Only 60 spots in SB. Others benefited more from the time.
crunch 4 days 7 hours ago (view)
not phil, but i think everyone is holding off on his potential ceiling until he gains enough weight to not look like someone you want to buy a sandwich every time you see him.
big upside if his skills can strengthen as he builds his body.
too early for a solid comp, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing ian happ's name around (bit better arm than happ, though).
bradsbeard 4 days 8 hours ago (view)
Me too. Thought it was weird he wasn't in South Bend at all.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
I am very, very intrigued by Rivas. If the DH is unfortunately here to stay, he's a prime candidate for that and give Rizzo a day off 1B here and there. If no DH, hopefully he is a passable OF. Big believer in his hitting ability
Hagsag 4 days 16 hours ago (view)
Phil, do you think Chris Morel is the real deal?
tim815 5 days 5 hours ago (view)
Blue and Red DSL instructs rosters. No Brayan Altuve.
crunch 5 days 8 hours ago (view)
yup, they're gonna try. starts in about a month.