Strumpf Keeps Cookin' Arizona Taters
Chase Strumpf blasted a solo HR over the LF fence to account for the only run of what was a very brief Cubs AZ Instructional League intrasquad game played Monday afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs AZIL game at Rockies was canceled, and only two of the Cubs pitchers scheduled to throw in the AZIL game ended up pitching in the intrasquad game.
The game was called with two outs in the top of the third inning after both pitchers completed their scheduled work.
The DH was not used in the game (eight-man batting orders were employed instead) to maximize the number of plate appearances each position player would get over the course of the very short game.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Cole Roederer, CF: 1-1 (BB, 1B+E8, CS)
2. Bryce Windham, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
3. Felix Stevens, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
4. Cam Balego, 3B: 0-1 (5-3)
5. Pablo Aliendo, C: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Rafael Morel, 3B: 0-0 (BB)
7. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-1 (2B)
8. Jacob Wetzel, LF: 0-1 (F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Made, SS: 0-2 (6-3, 1-3)
2. Andy Weber, 3B: 0-1 (F-8)
3. Nelson Velazquez, RF: 0-1 (K)
4. Chase Strumpf, 2B: 1-1 (HR, R, RBI)
5. Ethan Hearn, C: 0-0 (BB)
6. Matt Mervis, 1B: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Yonathan Perlaza, CF: 0-1 (6-3)
8. Alfonso Rivas, LF: PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY - NO AB
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHER:
Ben Leeper: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (17 strikes)|
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHER:
Cam Sanders: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 38 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
CF Yonathan Perlaza: E-8 (over-ran line-drive-hit to CF allowing batter to advance two extra bases)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ethan Hearn: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Yonathan Perlaza: Batter/runner (Cole Roederer) thrown out 8-6-2 attempting to complete 1B+E8 inside-the-park HR
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"