Gameday Open Thread / Cubs @ Angels

The Cubs travel to Tempe to take on the Angels and Jered Weaver. Jason Marquis takes the mound for the Cubs with Kerry Wood scheduled to see some action.

Comments

Congrats on your new site. Best of luck on your future success.

First chance to actually SEE the Cubbies in action this year. Gammons has been raving about Wood, so very curious to see how he looks.

Looked okay for March 1st. The halos beat up on him a bit, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Touched 96 on the gun.

I think you're talking about Woody, Ryno. And you're right. Threw the fastball very well, I thought. It's not that atypical to hang a slider on the 1st day of March, which is what happened on the Hunter donger.

In the first inning, SOTO just threw out Chone Figgins attempting to steal. Beautiful throw just on the first base side of second nailed him. We're gonna love this guy.

You arent a true Cub fan unless your in parachat....

marquis likes to say words...and evidently 21m over 3 years isnt enough to take care of your family long-term. --- "I love Chicago," Marquis said. "I definitely want to stay here. This is the place I want to be. I signed here for a reason. But I also signed as a starter, and I think that's where I help the team the most. Obviously we'll see what happens when it's time for [the Cubs] to make their decision. "So as much as I want to be here in Chicago -- I love it, I love the fans, I love the stadium -- I also have a family to worry about, too. I think I can take my services elsewhere if that's the case and I can help another team, in that capacity as a starter. "So, my value doesn't lie in the bullpen in my mind." --- http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com...

Bye bye Marquis. And don't let the door hit you in your sorry ass either.

• crunch 22 min 7 sec ago (view)

happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote

• George Altman 1 hour 38 min ago (view)

Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.

• Arizona Phil 1 hour 59 min ago (view)

DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.

• Arizona Phil 2 hours 52 min ago (view)

I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).

• Hagsag 10 hours 56 min ago (view)

Maybe, if he makes the roster!

• Charlie 16 hours 29 min ago (view)

Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?

• Cubster 19 hours 16 min ago (view)

Is the Chafin experiment over yet?

• crunch 19 hours 24 min ago (view)

well that sucked.

even with the loss the cubs officially clinched a playoff slot tonight, though.

• crunch 19 hours 32 min ago (view)

oh, it's totally the hitters unless the coach is forcing guys into trying ill advised changes...which is doubtful to the point of obsurdity for this many slumping hitters.

it's just that a near team-wide hitting outage with no one getting "fixed" isn't a good look for a hitting coach.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 43 min ago (view)

How many hitting coaches would that be over the past five years?

At a certain point maybe it's just the hitters? I love the current group but we've been burning through hitting coaches recently

• crunch 20 hours 11 min ago (view)

anthony iapoce might want to start updating his resume...

i'm not saying it's his fault, but it doesn't seem like much is going right with the bats and it's getting worse over time.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 31 min ago (view)

I look at the 8 man pen for next year and would assume 6 RHP 2 LHP. The LHP would currently be two of Ryan, Wieck, and Steele (and I guess Osich but I suspect he's non-tendered).

The 6 RHP would be from Kimbrel, Wick, Tepera, Adam, Underwood, Alzolay, Winkler, Rea (and potentially others). I feel like they're only keeping one of Tepera/ Winkler for final arb year. Tough to say which is better value at this point.

• crunch 21 hours 50 min ago (view)

im impressed tepera has "only" given up 2hr in 19.2ip, but i wouldn't hold out on that holding up.  also, his control is sketchy as ever...

he's got promising stuff, but at age 33 (few weeks from now) what more does he have to learn/show?

it would probably cost the cubs 1.5m or so to keep him around (900K this year).  they liked something about him to pick him up, but who knows where that's at now...

• Arizona Phil 22 hours 42 min ago (view)

Two Cubs reached significant milestones today:

1. OF Jason Heyward now has "10/5 no trade" rights and so he cannot be traded without his consent (he had a partial "no trade" the past couple of seasons);

• crunch 23 hours 16 min ago (view)

happ / contreras / rizzo / baez / schwarber / bote(3rd) / maybin(RF) / martinez(DH) / hoerner(2nd)

• crunch 1 day 14 min ago (view)

r.brothers, down...Q, up