Cubs & Giants Play Two at Extended Spring Training
The EXST Cubs and EXST Giants played a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, with the Giants rallying with two runs in the bottom of the 7th to take the game played on Field #3 by a score of 4-2, while the other squads of Cubs and Giants played to a 4-4 tie on Field #4 as the Giants scored the tying run in the bottom of the 8th. (The game on Field #4 was stopped after eight innings).
Neither game was particularly noteworthy, except for Bobby Wagner making his debut as a catcher, AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer continuing his rehab (he had an RBI triple), and Jesus Morelli extending his hitting streak to 13 games on Field #3, and the Cubs committing eight errors (resulting in three unearned runs) in the game on Field #4.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Luis Flores has received his Letter of Transit and has moved up to Daytona. Flores hit 273/370/364 with 46% CS in 12 games since being reinstated from the Suspended List on April 26th.
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1a. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 1-3 (P-6, K, 2B)
1b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED ALTHOUGH BIENEME REMAINED IN GAME AT 3B
2. George Matheus, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 5-3, F-9, 5-3)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (1B, F-9, 5-3, K, R)
4. Brandon Guyer, CF: 1-4 (3B, 4-3, K, K, RBI)
5a. Bobby Wagner, C: 0-1 (F-7)
5b. Carlos Romero, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, CS)
6. Runey Davis, DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-9, R)
7. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 0-2 (1-3, BB, L-9, CS)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (K+WP, 1B+E9, F-8)
9. Cody Shields, LF: 0-2 (F-9 SF, K, F-8, RBI)
1. John Mincone – 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 3/6 GO/FO, 56 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
3. Danny Keefe – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 26 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Alvaro Sosa – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
C Carlos Romero E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
1. Bobby Wagner: 0-1 CS
2. Carlos Romero: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF-RF: 1-3 (K+WP, BB, 1B, 3-2 FC)
2. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, F-7 SF, 5-4-3 GIDP, E-6, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 3B: 1-3 (E-3, F-9 SF, 1B, 4-3, RBI, CS)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-3 (P-4, K, K)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, LF: 1-3 (6-U FC, F-9, 1B, CS)
6. Chris Huseby, DH #1: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, K)
7a. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (6-3, F-8)
7b. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (F-8)
8. Blair Springfield, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, K, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 1-2 (BB, K, 1B, 2 R)
10. Rafael Disla, DH #2: 1-2 (HBP, K, 1B, 2 R)
1. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 45 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Carlos Rojas – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Mayora - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Corey Martin - 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (18 strikes)
1. C Sergio Burruel E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base – did not score)
2. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
3. 3B Pin-Chieh Chen E-5 (two base throwing error at 1st base allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 1st base to advance to 3rd base)
4. LF Alvaro Ramirez E-7 (fielding error in LF allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd – eventually scored unearned run)
5. P Hector Mayora E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base – did not score)
6. C Jose Guevara E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
7. 1B Xavier Batista E-3 (missed catch at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
8. P Corey Martin E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner on 2nd base to advance to 3rd and runner on 1st base to advance to 2nd base)
1. Sergio Burruel: 2-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Jose Guevara: 1-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80’s
Arizona Phil 11 hours 13 min ago (view)
Dillon Maples does not have the right to elect free-agency if he is outrighted to the minors, but he will be automatically declared an MLB Rule 9 6YFA at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series if he is not added back to the 40 in the meantime.
crunch 11 hours 26 min ago (view)
p.wisdom is the new cubs all-time rookie HR leader.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 43 min ago (view)
The Cubs will very likely be splitting the AZIL position players into two 14-man squads (like they did last year), with each squad playng in every other-game, and with the other squad having a Camp Day instructional work-out on a back-field when that squad is not playing in a game. There will also be five combined Camp Days during the course of the four weeks for all players from both squads.
Arizona Phil 13 hours 6 min ago (view)
DJL: No. Signing a 2022 minor league successor contract would only matter with regard to a player in the Arizona Fall League, because the AFL schedule goes past the date when minor leaguers are declared free-agents.
AZ Instructs ends on October 16th, which is about two or three weeks before minor league free-agency, so the three guys at Cubs Instructs who are eligible to be free-agehts after the World Series (Dakota Chalmers. Nicholas Padilla, and Eury Ramos) do not need to sign successor contracts in order to play in AZIL games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 10 min ago (view)
Sorry to hear about your dad, Charlie. I lost my father almost 2 years ago now, some of my fondest childhood memories are going to Wrigley with him.
All the best wishes to you, sir.
First.Pitch.120 15 hours 24 min ago (view)
If you had Bote in the '11-'12- '13 Cubs draft dead pool, then you are a winner!
Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 57 min ago (view)
Dakota Chalmers... interesting. He's scheduled to be a MILB FA, correct? Would this be a good sign he has signed a successor deal?
Cubster 16 hours 31 min ago (view)
Maples dfa. Double Martini too. Hoerner and Thompson back and Keegan to start today. Hoerner bats 5th.
crunch 16 hours 41 min ago (view)
it's never a good time to be in the hospital, but things are extra complicated right now.
hope everything goes well for everyone.
Charlie 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Listening to this in a hospital room because we are blacked out on MLB.tv. I don't know which surprises me more, that the Cubs haven't beaten the Brewers since April or that the Cubs beat the Brewers in April.
crunch 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
m.rodriguez to 10d IL, a.morgan returns.
Jackstraw 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
I like that the team was absolutely committed to not losing back-to-back games on a walk-off passed ball.
Eric S 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
And the funny thing is Rucker was the only Cubs pitcher tonight to post 0 runs allowed in the box score. You know things are really out of hand when Ross gives the okay for a Maples appearance.
George Altman 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
Is there a reason Preciado hasn't been in an ACL game in about a month?
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
i'd like the 2021 version of whatever d.ross is smoking bringing m.rucker into a bases loaded, 2 run lead in the 4th situation.
dude saw the situation and said "gimmie that guy with the 8.44era 1.59whip" as the first pen option to protect a lead.
rucker has been in 13 games and given up runs in 8 of them.
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
hendricks last 7 starts...
9er, 1er, 4er, 8er, 6er, 1er, 7er
3.68era - 1.29whip ...to... 4.81era - 1.35whip