Roberto Lopez laced a double into the LF corner to knock-in the tying run, and Drew Heid hit a sacrifice fly to RF to drive-in the winning run, as the Angels scored six runs in the bottom of the 9th and edged the Cubs 9-8 in AZ instructional League action at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe this afternoon.
With the Cubs leading 8-3, LHP Casey Harman (Cubs 2010 29th round draft pick out of Clemson) entered the game in the bottom of the 9th, and was properly pummeled, surrendering five singles, one double, and a triple, before finally recording an out (and that out was the game-winning walk-off sacrifice fly).
But prior to the 9th, Cubs pitchers had been outstanding, allowing three runs on just four hits, with no walks and ten strikeouts.
18-year old Korean RHP Jin-Yeong Kim got the start for the Cubs today, his first since being removed from a game last week after suffering a leg cramp. Kim retired the side 1-2-3 in both his first and third innings of work, but he allowed two runs in the 2nd inning, the first run scoring on a lead-off solo HR by Gabe Jacobo, and the second on a single, a stolen base, and another single.
Hard-throwing ex-3B (now RHP) Charles Thomas worked a 1-2-3 4th inning (P-4, 3-U, and F-7), and then RHP Tarlandus Mitchell threw two no run/no hit innings. Aaron Kurcz pitched the 7th & 8th, striking out four, and allowing one run on one hit (a lead-off pop fly double in the 8th that Oliver Zapata lost in the sun, followed by two ground outs).
Meanwhile, the Cubs got on the board in the top of the 1st inning as Oliver Zapata and Marco Hernandez drew walks and Micah Gibbs and Justin Bour singled, giving the Cubs a quick two-run lead before the Angels could retire a Cub hitter. Xavier Batista made it a three-spot with a two-out RBI single to drive-in Gibbs. The Cubs added two more runs in the top of the 2nd, as Oliver Zapata drove-in Gioskar Amaya with a one-out triple, and then scored on a Marco Hernandez sacrifice fly.
Up 5-2, the Cubs added single runs in the 6th, 7th, and 8th. Xavier Batista blasted a two-out triple and scored on a Sergio Burruel opposite-field line-drive single in the 6th, Marco Hernandez singled and then later scored on an errant pick-off attempt in the 7th, and Gioskar Amaya singled to knock-in Xavier Batista from 3rd base in the 8th (Batista had walked with one out, moved-up to 2nd base on another Sergio Burruel line-drive single to LF, and then to 3rd on a WP).
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 1-2 (BB, 3B, 2-3 SH, L-7, BB, RBI, 2 R)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (BB, F-8 SF, 3-1, 1B, 3-6 GIDP, RBI, 2 R)
3. Micah Gibbs, C-DH: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3, K, BB, R)
4. Justin Bour, 1B-DH: 2-5 (1B, 1-3, 4-3, 1B, K, RBI)
5a. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 0-4 (P-4, L-7, 3-U, F-9)
5b. Willson Contreras, 1B: 0-1 (P-5)
6a. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-4 (K, 3-U, 1-3, 1-3)
6b. Delbis Arcila, PH: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Chris Huseby, LF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, P-3, 1-3, RBI)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (6-4 FC, K, 3B, BB, 2 R)
9. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 2-3 (BB, K, 1B, 1B, RBI)
10. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 3-4 (6-4 FC, 1B, 1B, 1B, RBI, R)
1. Jin-Yeong Kim: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 54 pitches (37 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Tarlandus Mitchell: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (14 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Aaron Kurcz: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Casey Harman: 0.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R (6 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
1. 1B Justin Bour E-3 (dropped relay throw from outfield - allowed runner who had stopped at 3rd base to score and batter who had singled to advance to 2nd base)
2. 3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (fielding error - allowed batter to reach base)
3. 3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (fielding error - allowed batter to reach base)
4. LF Chris Huseby E-7 (bobbled ground ball single in LF - allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
5. SS Marco Hernandez E-6 (overthrow at 1st base on infield single - allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
Micah Gibbs: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy, with temperatures in the 90’s