Cub Miscues Help Angels Cruise to Victory at Diablo
Kyle Survance walked and scored, singled and stole a base and scored, and laced a two-run triple, Leonardo Rivas singled twice, drove-in two runs, and scored another, Brad Anderson reached base three times (two singles and an HBP), and the Angels took advantage of six errors en route to a 9-1 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Friday morning on Field #4 at the Diablo Stadium Complex in Tempe, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning affair but was extended an extra half-inning so that all of the Angels pitchers scheduled to throw in the game could get their work.
In Extended Spring Training roster news, the Cubs have purchased the contract of 23-year old INF Andrew Sohn from Winnipeg (American Association) The 2014 6th round draft pick of the St. Louis Cardinals out of Western Michigan University, Sohn was released by STL at the end of Minor League Camp and signed with Winnipeg last Friday. He was a shortstop in college and in his first season in pro ball, but he played 2B-3B-SS about equally in 2015-16, and he was a "two-way" player in college (RHP/SS), so the Cubs might try him on the mound at some point, too, and perhaps eventually use him as a utility INF & "emergency" pitcher at one of their full-season affiliates.
So in the meantime, Sohn would likely be the "first call" replacement if an infielder at South Bend, Myrtle Beach, or Tennessee goes on the DL anytime during the next couple of months (just as Brandon Cummins would likely be the "first-call" replacement if an outfielder at South Bend, Myrtle Beach, or Tennessee goes on the DL).
And (you read it here first two days ago), Cubs Top 20 prospect LHP Jose Paulino has officially been moved-up to South Bend from Extended Spring Training.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-2 (4-3, BB, 4-3)
1b. Tolly Filotei, CF: 0-1 (F-9)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, 3-U, 2B, R)
3a. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (F-7, K, K)
3b. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
4b. Franklin Tineo, PH-DH: 1-2 (4-3, 2B, RBI)
5. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, L-8, K)
6. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 0-3 (5-3 DP, E-1, 5-3)
7. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, 4-3, K)
8a. Jose Gutierrez, LF: 0-2 (F-8, L-4)
8b. Fernando Kelli, LF: 0-1 (K)
9a. Rafael Narea, 3B: 0-2 (F-8, F-9)
9b. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-0 (BB)
10a. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-2 (K+WP, 1-3)
10b. Samir Lara, PH: 0-1 (K)
1. Javier Assad: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 39 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 2 PO, 42 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Nathan Sweeney: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Andury Acevedo: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 5 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 3/1 GO/AO, 40 pitches (21 strikes)
5. Jed Carter: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 6
1. LF Jose Gutierrez: E-7 (fielding error on bases-loaded single allowed runner to score from 1st base)
2. P Nathan Sweeney: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Miguel Amaya: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
5. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
6. SS Aramis Ademan: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Gustavo Polanco: 1-1 CS, 1 PB
2. Miguel Amaya: 0-1 CS, 1 PB, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's