Rockies Score Late to Top Cubs at Dust Storm Field
Javier Baez singled three times, stole two bases, and scored the only Cub run, but the Rockies scored three runs late in the game to break a 1-1 tie and defeated the Cubs 4-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ
The game was extended an extra inning so that all of the Cubs and Rockies pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their scheduled work.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cub players only):
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, K, K)
2a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (BB, P-3, 1-3)
2b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 SB)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, K, K, RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 0-2 (BB, BB, 5-2 FC, F-7)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (2-3, F-8, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (L-4, K, K)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8b. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (K)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, P-3)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Jair Bogaerts, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 32 pitches (24 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
2. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 28 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 22 pitches (11 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Anthony Giansanti - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-3 CS
Neftali Rosario: 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Garrett Schlecht - threw out runner 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on single
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus