The End of the Impotence: Theriot's Homerless Streak is Broken
Ryan Theriot's grand slam on Friday put the Cubs ahead to stay, as did his first-inning home run on Saturday.
Friday's blast ended a string of 620 at-bats and 157 games in which Theriot had failed to homer. In terms of GP, Theriot's homerless string was the 15th longest among Cub non-pitchers since 1954.
The list of 15 follows:
- Don Kessinger (5/15/66 through 9/3/68) 404 G
- Larry Bowa (5/13/83 through 8/11/85), 310 G
- Mick Kelleher (4/17/76 through 10/5/80), 304 G
- Don Kessinger (8/16/72 through 7/11/74), 279 G
- Rey Sanchez (8/30/92 through 7/2/95), 256 G
- Richie Ashburn (4/12/60 through 10/1/61), 255 G
- Ivan DeJesus (5/28/80 through 10/4/81), 223 G
- Don Kessinger (7/13/74 through 9/28/75), 220 G
- Don Kessinger (4/24/70 through 6/11/71), 202 G
- Doug Dascenzo (5/5/91 through 10/4/92), 197 G
- Don Kessinger (7/4/71 through 8/13/72), 185 G
- Scot Thompson (7/4/80 through 7/19/83), 179 G
- Larry Bowa (4/5/82 through 5/7/83), 165 G
- Jimmy Stewart (4/18/65 through 5/14/67), 158 G
- Ryan Theriot (4/16/08 through 4/30/09), 157 G
That's a whole lotta shortstops and a whole lot named Kessinger. For what it's worth, Theriot had a far higher batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.387), and slugging percentage (.360) during his homerless streak than anyone else in this group.
And now, in 2009, he has as many home runs as Derrek Lee and Milton Bradley.
Stats from Baseball-Reference.com Play Index
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?
Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:
- 2014: 2.5
- 2015: 1.0
- 2016: 2.6
But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.