Zambrano Suspended for 6 Games; Cubs Scurry for Pinch-Hitter

As expected, Carlos Zambrano was handed a six game suspension for his antics yesterday. Unlike Milton Bradley, pride isn't an issue for Z as he said he won't bother appealing the suspension and will begin serving it immediately. He'll miss the Dodgers series and the first two games in Atlanta next week. Conveniently the Cubs have an off-day Monday, so some minor rotation juggling and Z should be starting next Thursday in Atlanta.

Comments

If you really wanted to screw around I guess you have him make his starts until the suspension doesn't cover an off day, then retract the appeal, and maybe pitch Lilly on 3 days rest.

Great quote from the video highlight linked,

"That always works."

Hopefully 4 months from now we will be talking about how that play lit a fire under the Cubs on their way to their first WS in a century +.

I endorse this plan.

i like to think the chicken i slaughtered and the 3 candles i burned played much more of a role in recent cubs wins.

all of this could have been avoided 2 weeks ago if lou would have just patted more butts and kicked dirt on an umpire. what are they paying this guy for? i don't have enough candles to burn for good luck every time this asshat does something counter-productive.

If and when we're saying that, I'll be thinking in the back of my mind "what a load of mularkey", but I sure won't argue about it.

Lou's dipshittedness cost us the game Monday, though.

LF Soriano, SS Theriot, RF Bradley, 1B Lee, CF Johnson, C Soto, 3B Fontenot, 2B Blanco, P Wells.

which side of the plate will Blanco hit from with the curveball throwing Wolf on the mound?

HE'S GONNA STAND RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE, ROB!! THAT'S HOW YOU HIT A WOLF!!

I was going to guess Pulp Fiction reference at first, but that's not right. You got me.

I WRITE MY OWN SHIT!

my bad...

Scales back up...

yeesh...freel on that chad fox plan.

Lou on pregame:

Trammell is working with Fox at 3B and he's not quite ready yet. He said it may not be pretty but he will get the job done.

TCR Translation: Expect him to start at 3B in Atlanta

Been looking forward to the game all day.. not much to do on my day off... aaaand it's on WCIU. Don't get MLBN. Fuck my life.

you should have invited your girlfriend back in..

EPIC FAIL

Conveniently, I do get MLB network here in northern Indiana. However, MLBN is showing Tigers @ Orioles. If this is the same blackout BS I've fucking had it with baseball. Fucking stupid. Serously, they're talking about the 2008 Orioles yearbook - fuck that

Fox on wgn radio pregame interview:

Me play hard, me have fun...

More Jake Fox:

Q: what are the challenges you are having to meet while practicing at 3B

A: it's about getting the job done, catching the ball, getting the win.

only top 20 picks, but one guy briefly mentioned w/ the Cubs in RHP Eric Arnett is at #18 in this one.

• jose fernandez's number is going to be retired by FLA.

there's custom jerseys on their way to tonight's game (and hopefully will make it on time). all the marlins are going to wear #16 tonight.

this still sucks.

crunch 1 min 16 sec ago view
  • probably saturday depending on what they do with hammel (assuming friday for ham).

• Lester is going to get one more start, right? It sure would be nice to see him get a shot at 20 wins.

• Nicely done! I think in my 10-14 games I went .500 or a little over. Strangely, I went to the Cards games they mostly lost (incl Saturday) and the one SF game they lost, plus a couple Brewers games they lost, too. I should have gone to just Reds games. But still - saw mostly very good baseball on the North Side this year. Regardless of what happens come October - the Cubs are positioned for some good times in the next 3-5 years.

• Attaboy!

• First Cub victory at home this year for me!
    1-3
    Saw all four starters this year

jacos 9 hours 10 min ago view
  • RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

• Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

• Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

• lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 19 hours 37 min ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 23 hours 25 min ago view