The Future History of Cub Managers, 2010–2013

(Apologies in advance if the readings from my crystal ball prove faulty. It's something about the neighborhood. Even the cable reception is erratic around here.)

by Paul Sullivan, Tribune Reporter
2:17 p.m., CDT, May 6, 2010

PITTSBURGH – If you thought that watching his team lose to the perennial doormat Pirates, 9-3, on Wednesday night and plummet into the NL Central basement was the toughest thing Jim Hendry has ever had to do as a baseball man, an hour after the game you were proven wrong.

Hendry informed the assembled media and all of Cub Nation that he was firing his good friend and Cub manager for the past 4+ years and 526 games, Lou Piniella.

"There's no two ways about it. This stinks," said an emotional Hendry, "but after a very disappointing season last year and the awful start we've had this year, we're going to have to take the team in a different direction. Alan Trammell will be taking over the ballclub for the rest of the year, and I know that he and the other coaches are going to do everything humanly possible to turn this thing around.

"There's still time to make this a special season, but the ballplayers have to start doing the things they're capable of. I know that, Alan knows that, and the ballplayers know that."

By Bryan Hoch/MLB.com
11/08/10 11:10 AM ET

NEW YORK — To the surprise of few, the New York Yankees, still basking in the glow of their second consecutive World Championship, have signed manager Joe Girardi to a new, three-year contract.

The former catcher had been rumored to be a candidate for the Chicago Cubs managerial position, which opened up when the team chose not to retain interim manager Alan Trammell. But Girardi said the Yankees post was the only one he wanted.

"This is where I want to be, for as long as the Yankees will have me," Girardi said.

by Dave Van Dyck, Tribune Reporter
9:13 p.m., CST, November 16, 2010

Lou Boudreau did it. Jerry Coleman did it. And now Bob Brenly has done it.

The now ex-Cubs announcer will be stepping out of the broadcast booth and stepping back onto the field as the new manager of the Chicago Cubs. Brenly's hiring was announced Tuesday by General Manager Jim Hendry, whose own future with the Cubs has been the source of endless debate for many months in light of the team's failure to win a single post-season game during Lou Piniella's tenure and the Cubs' dismal fifth-place finish in the National League Central this past year.

Brenly, who led the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 92-70 record and a World Series title in just the team's fourth season, is undaunted by the challenge in front of him.

"I've watched these players," said Brenly. "I know these players. There are some champions on this roster. With the personnel moves that I know Jim is planning to make and by readjusting the way this team approaches its job, I have no doubt we're going to get where we want to go."

If the Brenly Plan should run seriously off-course at some point, the 56-year-old Iowa native won't have to look very far over his shoulder to see his presumptive successor: Cubs Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, fresh off his first season managing the Cubs' Triple-A Iowa club, was named Brenly's bench coach.

"Threatened? Not at all," Brenly responded when asked how he'd feel with an obvious future managerial candidate alongside him. "I feel like the luckiest manager on earth knowing I'll have a guy like Ryne Sandberg on the bench next to me. With his baseball smarts and his experience from having worked with some of these young men up as they came up through the system, he's going to be a tremendous asset to me and to the Chicago Cubs."

By Carrie Muskat/MLB.com
01/07/2013 4:46 PM CT

When he patrolled the Cub infield and stood in the batter's box at Wrigley Field, the thought of managing couldn't have been further from his mind. But on Tuesday afternoon, when the Cubs' newest manager was introduced to the media, it was clear that the job offered him the possibility of satisfaction in ways that all of those thousands of Major League at-bats never could.

"I'm honored, really, really honored. That's all I can say," new Cub skipper Neifi Perez said to the assembled reporters and cameras. "Now I'll turn it over to Jim."

"Jim," of course was Cub GM Jim Hendry, who was left to explain one of the most surprising hirings in the history of an organization that has made more than its share.

"Neifi was always on our radar," Hendry said. "There was a misperception—and to be honest, it was really about you folks in the media—that Ryne (Sandberg) was going to be our guy. Obviously, when Ryno took that job in San Diego, that took him out of the picture here. But regardless, we have always liked Neifi. He has a great baseball mind. And I know that he and his coaches are going to do everything humanly possible to turn this thing around."

Comments

I guess I am the only one who likes Lou and hope he stays. Don't worry though, he'll be gone at the end of the season. The club will cite his "health." (diabetes). He will not get fired.
Meanwhile, you can all dream about Sandberg, Brenly, Giraudi, etc., None of them will make a difference at this point. The new ownership does not inspire confidence with their emphasis on marketing to the more mindless element of our fanbase. I just want a bullpen that can THROW STRIKES.

I don't like liars and hypocrites, so I have a lot of problems with Lou, but I agree if your point is that no manager would make this team the dominant force in the NL. I think that the team should contend, though.

Sandberg was a very smart ball player, but I am not sure how much of the mondern analysis he's been able to internalize so far. If he's sacrifice bunting in the first inning, hopefully someone, Bruce Miles or the owner will give him a copy of "The Book" and he'll get in the game.

Neifi... ha.

Unfortunately, the Trammel scenario sounded the most real.

Sandberg will be here by June, right after Ted Lilly.

I love you guys but this actually pissed me off. I've been working non stop for two days and I actually thought this was real. Fuckers.

But really, does the manager even matter in this mess of a team?

We need a real GM. Maybe McFail is available.

But really, does the manager even matter in this mess of a team?

A new manager is not the most glaring need, no.

Brenly won't manage this team as long as Soriano's on it. He may like him as a person. But he can't stand him as a ballplayer.

Nice piece though.

Didn't Brenly say he would not manage his son, in the off chance that his son makes the team in the near future?

In the year 2003, Hillary Clinton swore she would not run for president. People say stuff.

I think Brenly's chances of being manager, Hillary's chances of being president and Michael's chances of being on the major league roster are all approximately equal.

Jim Hendry is still the GM in 2013 and gets to hire 3 new managers?

unpossible.

Neifi! - bold move Cotten, let's see how it plays out.

heyman tweets:

rough week for reds: first volquez ban, now morgan hiring. Reds to introduce Joe Morgan as special advisor  ([email protected]).

rofl...and Greg Maddux plunks Morgan where most of his creative thoughts come from ( in the butt)

says Ryan Dempster to pen is the "most logical", thinks Gorz is staying in rotation

then Dave Cameron says Dempster to pen is the 2nd dumbest thing he's read all day...

I guess I fail to see why it's so "dumb". *shrug*

I'm ready to write him a strongly-worded letter

Because right now, he may be the Cubs best starter...

Though he's right, this is the same Dave Cameron that scoffed at the idea of the Cubs signing Dempster to his original extension. The guy is as pompous as me, but hypocritical on top of it. The baseball analysis community would be better served if he were to take up golf.

Yeah, dumb, it's not like Dempster has any experience out of the pen.

Heyman reiterates that it will be a righty moving to the pen

Considering that John Smoltz went back and forth from starter to reliever - and back (sort of) - it is not unheard of.

The Braves however, for the most part, were a much better all-around team during Smoltz' 'pen days than this Cubs team is now.

In fact, 2002, when he had like 45 saves, the Braves were loaded with the Jones', Javy Lopez, Marcus Giles, Sheff, Furcal, Castilla, DeRosa, Surhoff...

A little "cut above"what the Cubs throw out there these days as their everyday dudes.

However, let the record show that in 2003, with his 55 SAVES, our Cubbies beat their asses! [tomahawk chop - whoa---whoa--whoa...]

I am just saying it would be possible under the right circumstances for Demp to say, "OK". I just don't know if these are them. Is it the right circumstance that his GM is a moron?

Didn't Smoltz go to the pen because he was injured?

Yes, it was to protect his... elbow, I think. One of his arm parts, anyway.

However they shuffle their pitchers won't matter much if they don't score some runs.

AGREED!

Thank you.

And in the meantime, putting a valuable starter in the bullpen doesn't make any sense. When it's the season changer, consider it.

well it makes sense if you want to improve the bullpen, although certainly not the best use of resources. Aren't all the Cubs starters, valuable right now?

obviously Silva is the guy that should go based on past performance and expected drop-off, and if it has to be a righty. As I mentioned, he's had two featherweight offenses so far in Cinci and Houston. It's also nice that he doesn't walk folks.

I just completely contradicted myself in the new thread.

Tim Dierkes not overly impressed by Fukudome's tight flight OB abilities, I guess.

Reyes, Castillo, Wright, Bay, Francoeur, Davis, Barajas, Pagan, Perez.

• That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.

Eric S 1 hour 3 min ago view
  • ...and it's a 3 run homer.

hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!

crunch 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.

crunch 1 hour 25 min ago view
  • from rotoworld...

"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.

crunch 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.

• ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

• nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

• Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 27 min ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

• He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 4 hours 37 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 7 hours 49 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.