Game 17 Thread - Garza vs. Garcia

The Cubs get their chance to make up some ground....I can't even finish that sentence with a straight face. How about? Cubs get the World Champs again and a chance to lose another series. Better.

Iowa already played today and loss to the Cardinals AAA affiliate, Memphis 6-2 at home. Jay Jackson with yet another poor outing, 5 IP, 4 ER, 0 K, 1 BB, 8 H. B. Jackson goes 2/4 with a SB, Rizzo 2/3 with a 2B and a BB and W. Castillo 1/4 with an RBI. The other minor league matchups include:

Dallas Beeler vs. Chattanooga (Dodgers): Soto 6, Watkins 4, Ha 8, Ridling, Mota 7, Burgess 9, Samson 5, Brenly 2, Beeler 1

Zach Cates vs. Lakeland (Detroit - Jacob Turner happens to be starting):  Szczur 8, Torreyes 4, Perez 9, Rohan 5, Jones 3, Andreoli 7, Silva 0, Noble 2, Alcantara 6

Jose Rosario vs. Lansing (Toronto):Devoss 4, Zapata 9, Cuneo 3, Hoilman 0, Davis 2, Easterling 8, Darvill 5, Hernandez 6, Gonzalez 7

Cardinals Cubs
*Carpenter, 1B
Johnson, CF
Greene, 2B
Mather, 3B
*Garcia, P
Garza, P

Michael Bowden is with the team and they DFA'd Rodrigo Lopez to make room on the roster for him. Also, Kerry threw in the outfield today and claims to be feeling much better.

Comments

Iowa already played today and loss to the Cardinals AAA affiliate, Memphis 6-4 at home.
---
Don't get so excited, the Iowa offense isn't that good. Final was 6-2 according to the box score I read.

indeed, my bad.

oh good, Garza up to fail at bunting

miracles!

gets it down after making a nice defensive play as well earlier.

4 IP, 0 H, 2 BB, 0 K for Turner against Daytona.

Cates gave up 3 ER in 4 IP.

Lakeland also has Castellanos on that team.

crunch and i are in parachat

don't all rush in at once

it claims I'm the only one in there.

it was a very short parachat session...mostly involving the inevitable 2014 cubs rotation of lincecum/c.hammels/garza/j.moyer/?? and the world series matchup of the chicago cubs vs. las vegas athletics.

No way the Theo team will pay the necessary salary to get Moyer. If we had Hendry and could give a 7 year deal, maybe. But not Theo.

the new TV deal will give the cubs about 100 kazillion dollars a year...at least.

Moyer will then tell stories of playing in the days before TV deals boosted salaries. And before TVs televised games.

Hawks are on

THWACK!!! POW!!! BOOM!!!

Yes, Ron Artest wants to play hockey, too!

What an AB by LaHair. Now Soto will eff it up.

Just as I was about to lament on why isn't Stewart hitting for Mather.

Sweet.

Mather swung on at least a dozen planes all at once on that hit.

Spittin up my Chinese food on that one, The Joe!

he can at least move his bat once he puts it in motion. if stewart could/would do it he might not sit for 29 year old journeyman joe mather.

Stewart is crushing the ball (mostly at people right now). Don't agree with you crunch.

i am way more than willing to let him prove (or disprove) what i think of him before getting into an april argument over the guy.

his quality of contact is crap, it was crap last year...he's a pure mistake hitter...yadda yadda yadda

I'm so confused by this post.

rather than argue the merits of how good he is/will be in april it's a lot easier to stand by old statements and let stewart's work speak for itself after he keeps showing what he's got.

i don't think the guy's issue with balls in play is going to get better based on how he swings a bat even though he's been robbed of a few.

others do...

there's not much to do with it at this point because you're working with 50ab's and few that doesn't already have an opinion are gonna be swayed toward any side.

CUBS!!!!!!!

FREE JOE MATHER!

bow down to your new god, Joe Mather.

Jeff Baker saw 8 pitches all night.
LaHair 12 in his one at bat.

/seen enough of the lefty slayer baker

LaHair is so composed. That was like an old Billy Buckner at bat! Loved it ...

My man crush on LaHair grows.

My hope that some team might come calling for Baker flickers.

I don't think Game 6 is going to OT

Fucking torture. Shots were 30-8 Hawks at one point and down 2-0. Then they get embarrassed. Was Hayes' hit dirty? What did Kane do? I assume he told the refs they sucked . . .

Darvish 1.81 whip

Cespedes 20 K's in 55 at bats

Adjusting to the league? Or indicators of weakness?

Cespedes still can't hit a breaking ball, but he punishes fastballs. I think of him like getting Soriano in his prime years with less speed.

I don't know about Darvish, some whispers that he's being squeezed. From what little I've seen, he nibbles a lot, but that seems to be common with Japanese pitchers.

Not to take anything from Mather, but as Rob said above, that was a great AB by LaHair. Free LaHair!

• Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?

The E-Man 26 min 1 sec ago view
  • Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.

billybucks 30 min 8 sec ago view
  • ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

• bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

• chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

• the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

• Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

• Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 6 hours 32 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 6 hours 56 min ago view