Cubs & D'backs Split Two at Talking Stick
Josh Conway, Erick Leal, and Carlos Martinez combined to throw a three-hitter, retiring the last ten men a row, and David Bote drilled an RBI single to tie the game and Jacob Rogers followed one out later with a sacrifice fly to give the Cubs the lead, as one squad of Cubs rallied for two runs in the 5th and held on to edge one squad of Diamondbacks 2-1 on Whirlwind Field, and Carter Bell blasted a three-run home run to cap a five-run 3rd and Josh Parr singled and tripled and scored two runs, leading the other squad of D'backs to a 7-1 victory over the other squad of Cubs on Jackrabbit Field, as the two squads split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Former Cubs minor leaguer Michael Brenly (released during Minor League Camp) was the catcher for the Diamondbacks squad on Whirlwind Field, and he went 0-3 (K, F-7, K).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 3-U, 3B)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, P-3)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, L-8, SB)
5. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, P-2)
6. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (K)
8. Roberto Caro, LF: 1-2 (1-3, 1B, R, SB)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, RBI)
10. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 39 pitches (29 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 35 pitches (25 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (15 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 5
1. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Jose Rosario - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner on 3rd base to score)
3. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
4. SS Frandy de la Rosa - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF-DH: 2-4 (3-U, 1B, 1B, K)
2. David Bote, 3B-SS: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B, K, RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-9, 6-4-3 DP, P-6, 1B)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B-3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-7 SF, K, RBI)
5. Reggie Golden, LF-CF: 0-2 (P-6, BB, F-8)
6a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (HBP, F-8)
6b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
7. Lance Rymel, DH-1B: 0-3 (5-3, 5-3, K)
8. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, R)
9a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R)
9b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS
1. Josh Conway: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 5 K, 53 pitches (32 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - doubled-runner off 1st base 9-3 after line-out
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League game, but there was a 4-1/2 inning intrasquad game played at FITCH PARK FIELD #3 yesterday (Monday) morning.
RHP Dillon Maples threw 3.1 IP of one-hit ball, retiring the last ten men he faced in a row.
Trevor Gretzky fisted a two-run double down the LF line to spark a four-run 3rd for Squad "A."
LHP Andrew McKirahan (2012 TJS) walked off the mound in obvious pain in the bottom of the 3rd inning after facing one batter (seven-pitch walk). He didn't wait for the trainer or manager to come to the mound, he just headed straight for the clubhouse.
Here is the box score from that game:
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (2B, K, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, K)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (6-3, BB, 1-3, R, SB)
4. Jose Dore, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, BB, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 0-2 (F-8, BB, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
7. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
8. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B: 1-2 (1-3, 2B)
SQUAD "A" LINEUP
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-1 (5-3, 1-3 SH)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH: 0-1 (6-3, BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, SB)
5. David Bote, 3B: 0-1 (P-2, BB)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (P-2, F-8)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, E-5)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, 1-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Andrew McKirahan: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 7 pitches (3 strikes)
3. Dayan Diaz: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 48 pitches (30 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 41 pitches (24 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Anthony Prieto: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was continued for one extra out to allow Prieto to throw more pitches, then game was stopped
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
who knows where it'll end up. they have a decent amount of excess/blocked infielders as well as c.coghlan if they want to make him expendable...so there's value to get something done while keeping soler, even.
it's a bit more muddy now that cueto is the only "hell yeah" FA pitcher left out there.
Yes great bat, but very shaky in the field during the playoffs. That won't go unnoticed by this Cubs front office.
I would hope not.
I fear the Shark will return.
So how did the Orioles GM stay cool and collected during that conversation. I imagine he was biting his knuckles quite a bit until the phones hung up.
I realize they need to get pitching, but I'd hate to see Soler go. He was channeling Manny in the playoffs -- laying off the low & away stuff and crushing the ball. If he can keep that plate discipline, he could be an absolute beast. Also, his perfect throw may have saved the Cardinals series. Plus, he wears #68.
Dunno - maybe Shark/Lackey?
YES! A 2-way tie for first! I am willing to split the pot right now.
That is pretty fucking dumb.
"The Seattle Mariners have agreed to trade slugger Mark Trumbo to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for catcher Steve Clevenger, a source confirmed to ESPN's Jim Bowden."
yeah, that steve clevenger.
St Louis offered $30MM less than Toronto...so around $185MM or $26MM per year. When those type of numbers and details are released, it is rarely just pulled out of thin air. Sounds pretty legit that they put up a bit of a fight.
Where did you get 30ish number?
Close second to Ronny
Dumber than Ronny Cedeno?
runner-up seems to be as strong as in the bidding as it gets aside from winning the bid.
STL has money to spend, but how much they were willing to spend was up in the air...and now they threw around a 30m-ish offer to a top FA pitcher.
You believe they were in the bidding, I have an ice rink on Clark to sell you
Oh God, no Adam Eaton he's dummber than a bag of wet hair. keep him awsy