Diamondbacks Roll a Seven Come 11 at Fitch Park
Yorman Garcia belted a three-run HR to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 6-4 lead, Wagner Mateo tripled, singled twice, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Karl Triana tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball, leading the Diamondbacks to a 7-4 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ
Shawon Dunston Jr ripped an RBI triple, singled, walked, reached base on an HBP, stole a base, and scored a run for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger was a DH for the Cubs and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He popped out to the third-baseman in the 1st inning, drew a walk on a 3-2 pitch in the 2nd, drilled an RBI double off the fence in right-centerfield in the 3rd inning, and flied out to the centerfielder in the 4th.
Instead of playing two seven-inning games (as they usually do when they play each other), the Cubs and D'backs opted to play one 11-inning game. However, the umpires didn't get the message, so four umps showed up (ostensibly two for each game), and they ended up working as a four-man crew for the one game (something you don't see very often in an Extended Spring Training game).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, BB, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 3B, BB, F-8, HBP, R, RBI, SB)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (P-3, L-8 SF, F-9, BB, 4-3, RBI)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, LF 0-3 (K, F-9, 5-4 FC)
3b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (P-4, P-5)
4a. Jose Dore, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, CS)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
5a. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
5b. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-2 (E-7, F-8)
6a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (FC, K, 1B, 6-U FC)
6b. Lance Rymel, PH: 0-1 (K)
7a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3 DP, 2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
7b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-0 (HBP)
8a. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-U, BB)
8b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-9, 4-3, R, RBI, CS)
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (35 strikes), 4/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 0 K, 31 pitches (15 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Jeffrey Baez - E-8 (fielding eror on single allowee batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
3, 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 2-4 CS
2. Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Jeffrey Baez - runner thrown out 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.