Cubs Super-8 Overcomes Angels at Sloan Park

Kelly Dugan and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted two-run doubles and Shane Victorino, Kevonte Mitchell, and Jesse Hodges contributed RBI singles to highlight an eight-run 7th inning uprising, as the Cubs rallied from an 8-2 deficit to surprise the Angels 10-8 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action this morning at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.

Jared Foster hammered an RBI triple, singled, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs to help the Angels build their 8-2 lead.

The Cubs stole three more bases today, for a total of twenty SB in their last six games (only one CS).

John Arguello has a game recap and photos from the game at Cubs Den

And here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1a. Shane Victorino, LF: 2-3 (BB, 6-3, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
1b. Ruben Reyes, PH-LF: 1-1 (1B)
2a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-3 (1-3, F-9, F-8)
2b. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-2 (E-6, 1B, R)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-3 (K, BB, P-3, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3b. Eric Gonzalez, PH-DH: 0-1 (P-3)
4. Kelly Dugan, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, HBP, K, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
5a. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
5b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-1 (BB, E8-SF, K, BB, R, RBI, SB)
7a. Tyler Payne, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
7b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, 2 RBI)
8. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH-RF: 0-4 (F-8, K, K, K)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, 5-4 FC, 1B, L-7, R, SB)
10a. Andruw Monaasterio, SS: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B, R)
10b. Yonathan Perlaza, PH-SS: 0-1 (3-1)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 6/1 GO/AO, 50 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Jose Albertos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (11 strikes)
3. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
4. Mark Malave: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
5. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. C Tyler Payne: E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base on atrempted SB allowed runner to score)
2. 1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
1. Tyler Payne: 1-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1-3 CS

ATTENDANCE: 12

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's

Comments

Time to move Cubs up into next league

...maybe if there were more reds fans at the reds ballpark then he might not have to hear it. maybe...

That is such a crazy opinion. It'd be one thing if the fans were chanting something negative at the Reds but getting pissed about a positive change for the team you've paid to go see is beyond moronic. There seems to be an anti-Cubs feeling building around the league and we haven't even won anything yet!

Totally correct. I think it's safe to say Cub fans have paid their dues.

I switched to the Cincy broadcast in the late innings just to listen to Thommmy and he didn't disappoint. In his defense tho, he did also say this after the second suicide squeeze: "That's how major league baseball is supposed to be played." And went on quite a bit about how good Cubs are. I enjoy the frustration. If people didn't pick on Cubs' fans over the last 30 years, maybe I would have more sympathy. Time to get ours.

J J Hoover left the pitchers mound almost in tears. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 Chicago Cubs lineup. Lovable losers they are not.

The Cubs aren't all to blame, IMO. What Bryan Price did here is like taking a guy with burns and tossing him in a burning building. And then left him there for far too long.

he's gone from closer, to mop-up guy, to ineffective with a 19.50era and 2.83 whip within a few weeks. 8 outings, runs given up in 5 of them, 4 of them 2+ runs... it's been a crummy april and there's still a bit of it left.

Completely unrelated to anything, I just randomly turned in to a LAD/COL game, and saw Puig make the single greatest throw I have ever seen.

Insane. Video is on gameday.

As it was developing, I was thinking, "Oh, this is going to be fun to watch Puig air it out...  oh wow, that throw has some loft under it... oh my god, he's out, isn't he?"  I laughed out loud, it was so ridiculous.

Wow, that's a bulls-eye from 350 feet away!

Also a little league triple play at Sox/Tx game And straight steal of home by Jacoby Elsbury

That triple play is hilarious.  So is Stoney with the know-it-all commentary, as it happens.

• JustSayin' 8 hours 27 min ago (view)

Solid % improvement for minor leaguers and nice to see the Cubs among the first organizations to break ranks to the upside.  Three comments: 1. Yes, the bonus babies have already BEEN paid but that is the minority of these young men.  2.

• crunch 11 hours 8 min ago (view)

more spring news...

i.happ expected to primarily play CF this spring.  rizzo expected to primarily hit 2nd going into the season.

• Charlie 17 hours 14 min ago (view)

That's fair. And  the discussion would be different if Almora were heads and shoulders above Happ defensively, which seems (surprisingly) not to be the case.

• bradsbeard 17 hours 26 min ago (view)

I'm not ready to write him off from the right side just yet. One of the things I believe about Happ is that switch hitters in general just take longer to establish themselves as hitters due to having to develop and maintain two separate swings. Given that he sees fewer lefties, you kind of have to give him a little more leeway to develop there I think.

• Arizona Phil 17 hours 27 min ago (view)

jdrnym: No word yet on 2020 minor league active roster limits, but I doubt they will do anything new since the minor league 7-day IL with no doctor's note required (sometimes called the "phantom IL") allows clubs to easily rotate guys (especially pitchers) back & forth/on & off the active list.

• Charlie 17 hours 33 min ago (view)

I didn't realize until today that the new network will be broadcasting almost every spring training game. Just a heads up for anyone else expecting the usual 4-6 broadcasts.

• Charlie 17 hours 43 min ago (view)

I think he's going to strike out over 25% of the time, but he's shown that he can be an above average overall hitter even if he's only batting .230-.250.

I'm also not a big fan of the swing, and I'd be very skeptical of him if the ball is deadened. Stats suggest he'd benefit from a true platoon despite being a switch hitter. Sure would be nice if Almora could hold up the other end competently.

• Hagsag 17 hours 45 min ago (view)

Kelly C. to the Braves. Damn it.

• First.Pitch.120 19 hours 5 min ago (view)

Let us know if you see Dunderwood shagging flyballs in the OF...

• First.Pitch.120 19 hours 10 min ago (view)

Re: 6-8, w/ JHey in the 6 hole there are a lot of interesting things that can happen 7-9. You have the 2B slot, Happ (CF), & P slot.  Happ is a Switch hitter (though admittedly better LHH), roster looks to be long on 2B options from both sides (quality issues TBD, but promising IMHO), & a slot you with pinch hit for at least x2/gm. Lots of dbl switch possibilities (w/o jacking up the rest of your lineup)

That creates some brutal match up decisions for the opposing mgr right before recycling back to Bryzzo.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 54 min ago (view)

I think proving the K rate wasn't a fluke would go a long way toward convincing me.

• bradsbeard 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

Hey, if you hate the swing there's probably nothing I can say to change your mind. I personally think it's one of the nicer looking ones on the team.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

Extended period of good hitting? Not striking out at deeply inopportune times? Some baseball IQ in regard to situational hitting?

I think I also just hate his swing. It's so long and loopy.

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

C/1B Alberto Mineo (25) has re-signed with the Cubs organization according to: https://www.mister-baseball.com/alberto-mineo-mino...

• bradsbeard 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

Happ has been an above average hitter every season he's been in the majors, and he killed it in his brief return from the minors last year (with better contact and lower K rates to boot). Aside from an extended period with the lower K rates, what else are you not seeing?

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

Bote, for the moment, is adequate. Very unsold on the 2 LH hitting 2B options.

I have never seen it for Happ. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I dont see it happening.