Game 101 Thread / Cubs @ Diamondbacks (3 of 3)

Game Chat | Press Pass | BR Preview

SP *Ted Lilly SP *Doug Davis
  9-6, 4.49 ERA, 114 K, 43 BB, 122.1 IP
3-4, 4.14 ERA, 61 K, 38 BB, 74 IP

LF Alfonso Soriano SS *Stephen Drew
SS Ryan Theriot 2B #Augie Ojeda
1B Derrek Lee LF Conor Jackson
3B Aramis Ramirez 3B Mark Reynolds
C Geovany Soto CF Chris Young
RF *Kosuke Fukudome 1B *Tony Clark
2B Mark DeRosa C Chris Snyder
CF Reed Johnson RF Chris Burke
P *Ted Lilly P *Doug Davis

Before the game, the Cubs activated Alfonso Soriano and Scott Eyre and demoted Kevin Hart and Micah Hoffpauir. May your bat be blessed with many a run-scoring hit, Mr. Soriano.

During the game, Lilly and Davis will face-off again after their epic Game 2 duel from last October.  May you not throw down your glove in anger this time around, Mr. Lilly.

Please win!

Comments

I don' care if he's rusty. We need him back.

Welcome back Alf!

A leadoff homerun would be just the welcome he needs.

how's about a leadoff strikeout? =p

damn davis...at least he got 6 pitches outta it.

This lineup sucks.

Ain't no way the Cubs will be able to hold on to first place by the end of the year with their road play.

If they are fortunate enough to even make the playoffs, going deep into it would be truly amazing.

up 1-0 in the 5th but Prince and Yost just got ejected.

....annnnd that's your ballgame.

Well, first place was fun while it lasted.

....annnnd that's your ballgame.

Well, first place was fun while it lasted.

....annnnd that's your ballgame.

Well, first place was fun while it lasted.

wow -- sorry for the multiple pathetic posts.

CC with a 3-hit shutout.

Yikes.

WOW TED he's amazing, he can hit, steal, pick guys off at 3rd...he can do everything....

Oh, yeah, well, there's pitching...

Guess ARam forgot how to run the bases during his time away from them.

ALright CUBS!!
Keep going!!!

Two series in a row have to salvage the last game of the series. They need to take 3 out of 4 vs the Marlins and do it in pretty convincing fashion. A split in Milwaukee would be fine with me, but I'm getting way ahead of myself.

If were doing predictions, we might as well go for a sweep of the Marlins.

• OK -- my 4th of July resolution is to try to stay more positive. So -- 10 games to the AS break, meaning the Cubs will be in first place at the break! First time since...2008? Also, hopefully, Willson, KB and Javy learned something about Familia yesterday that they can use in the future.

billybucks 19 min 15 sec ago view
  • Hmmm, my math might be fuzzy but if he retired 3 batters with 3 pitches, how did he get a 1/1 GO/AO ratio?

bradsbeard 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • Pls DFA Peralta when Richard comes back. Richard 1 IP, O R, O ER, 0 BB, 2 Ks in first rehab appearance. We really need to trade for a LHRP.

chitownmvp01 2 hours 1 min ago view
  • "The Boston Red Sox were banned from signing any international players for the next year and had five of their teenage prospects declared free agents on Friday after a Major League Baseball investigation showed they circumvented signing-bonus rules last year, a source familiar with the situation told Yahoo Sports."

Rob Richardson 5 hours 40 min ago view
  • The thing with Heyward is its not just free agency. He is way under performing his career #s. He's making the same % of contact but his soft contact is much higher and hard contact much lower than all his previous years so there is something very specifically going on this year causing the issues. Chances are he will eventually get back to his previous #s and it's better to get the slump now and get that hot run later but I wish I knew what is different about this year. He's either just not seeing the ball as well or a swing change is causing it.

• Only 3 pitches for Leathersich. Not much of a rehab outing.

Thanks for the reporting Phil.

QuietMan 6 hours 7 min ago view
  • He's the nastiest pitcher I've seen in awhile. I'm gonna give them all a mulligan on this one.

Coghlan's strike out was more disappointing. He was fighting off a lot of pitches and not swinging at crap, and on the last pitch, he swung at stuff he was laying off, and struck out.

And Heyward, too. I don't blame Heyward - I blame free agency. I hate it. You almost never get a valid return on the investment.

I look forward to the day when ball players own the teams. The current economics are not sustainable.

• Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.

• Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.

• I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.

The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.

• I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable

cubbies.4ever 18 hours 8 min ago view
  • Did you expect anything different?

• Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?

billybucks 19 hours 41 sec ago view
  • men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.

cubs lose :(