We Have a Winner
In a close vote to decide the Official1 TCR Nickname for our Middle Infielders, we can now announce that with 100% of the 66 votes counted, the winner is....
The Scrap Pack.
The Scrap Pack beat The Tiger Cubs2 for the honor, and congratulations to all the other worthy suggestions as well.
Among the many virtues of The Scrap Pack are:
It rhymes ok, fine, it doesn't. Me flunk 2nd grad Inglish.
- Ok, it has "internal rhyme." I never got that far in English.
- It's short
- It has assonance
- It has a sharp, staccato sort of meter to it
- It alludes to a bunch of iconic womanizing singing drunkards with ties to the Las Vegas Mafia from the 1960s, who later went on to star in all-time classic movies like The Cannonball Run II.
- It is expandable: if necessary it could incorporate Reed Johnson, Aaron Miles and others.
- Its origin is shrouded in TCR mystery and lore. CT_Steve mentioned that he recalled seering someone use the nickname in Parachat, but we don't know who.
And most importantly....
- If they wind up stinking up the field, we can always claim that the "S" is silent.
1 "Official" in the sense that part of my contract to begin writing for Ruz, years ago, included several legal prerogatives, including but not limited to the right to print Letters of Marque and to be keeper of The Official Seal of TCR. I'm inferring from those prerogatives that I also have the right to declare things "official."
2 Yes, I just made an animal abuse pun. I'm sorry.
I removed the work that dynamically updated the comments sections. Guess too many were experiencing a slow down.
Der Kaiser out 3-5 days with rib strain.
Will be reevaluated then.
Dear Webmaster: Current home page loading time is slightly over 1 minute 15 seconds. Opening this page was similar.
These are minutes of my life I can't get back. Sad but true. There is a fracture, I need to fix it.
Just took a long time to open right now
The magic number is now 23.
SF continues their kickass losing streak (6 games).
WAS is suddenly back in the WC competition mix via SF's suck. SF 7.0 games back and WAS 7.5 games back is a hell of a distance for either team to climb at this point in the season.
Nice stuff tonight...
Brewers sweep Pirates, 5-3
Giants losing to Rockies 9-2, 5th
Dodgers losing 2-0 to SD, early. Corey Seager strikes out in 1st MLB at-bat.
Still taking quite a bit of time
I was running something that probably slowed it down. Should be much better now
Is it me, or is the site taking fo-r-ev-er to load?
Trying to make comments dynamic such that one displays to everyone in the comments section as well as in the recent comments blocks immediately after it's posted (i.e. no refresh required). Second test
"never been a fan of using closers in non-save situations." Tie game at home in the ninth, there can never be a save situation. So you're saying, don't use your best reliever today.
Sorry if this was covered in a different thread, but while I overall like this new design, the white type on the dark background is a killer. I may be in the minority on that. But again, nice job.