Cubs Rumor Round-Up: Bradley 3-Way, Chapman & More
All Milton, all the time...
- Foxsports's rumor mongering robot Robothal is hearing talks about a 3-way trade of Milton Bradley to the Blue Jays, Lyle Overbay to the Mets and Luis Castillo to the Cubs.
The three-team possibility, according to one source, has "some legs,
but not much." The Jays are opposed to the deal, one source says —
perhaps because new GM Alex Anthopolous does not want a trade for
Bradley to be his first major move.
Castillo is owed $6M each of the next two seasons, will be 34 next year has piss-poor UZR and Rate2 numbers the last few seasons and was the proud owner of a .337 wOBA(barely above average) last season thanks mostly to a .342 BABIP which isn't something he's shown he can repeat too often. So that's exciting...
But if the Cubs can indeed move the $21M owed Bradley for the $12M owed Castillo, well that becomes a no-brainer for the Cubs. Chances are they'll have to throw some cash which spins me right back to the not so exciting camp.
The same article says the Rays have been the heaviest pursuers of Bradley mentioning Pat Burrell again. Their salaries even out in 2010 according to Robothal, but Rays want Cubs to pay most of 2011 to relieve them of their headache.
- Bruce Levine chimed in earlier saying the Cubs have talked with Mets, Blue Jays, Rangers, Rays and Angels about Bradley. Levine reiterates that Rich Harden and Kevin Gregg are as good as gone, Cubs would like to resign John Grabow and Reed Johnson could be welcome back if he accepts a one year deal. He says the Cubs priorities are bullpen help, a leadoff hitter, center field and a veteran middle infielder...like Luis Castillo for example.
- Bruce Miles talked to Carlos Zambrano's agent and said he hasn't been approached about waving any no-trade clauses and thinks it's a "non-story". Talk with Hendry included glowing praise of Starlin Castro and that a deal for Bradley isn't close.
- For what it's worth, which isn't much...Billy Williams would like to salvage the Milton Bradley situation in Chicago.
- Finally, the Cubs did inquire about the Cuban lefty fireballer Aroldis Chapman, but "seem to be going in other, cheaper directions"
Otherwise, be sure you don't miss Arizona Phil's Top 15 prospect list for something with some substance over this rumor mongering.
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon