Geiger Counters Giant Rally with Walk-Off H-Bomb
After watching the EXST Giants score four runs in the top of the 7th inning (last inning) to take an 8-7 lead, Dustin Geiger slugged a two-out three-run game-winning walk-off HR in the bottom of the 7th to give the EXST Cubs a 10-8 victory over the Giants on Field #3 and a split in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The Giants edged the Cubs 2-1 in the game that was played on Field #2. Both games were seven-inning affairs.
The 19-year old 6’3 200+ Geiger was the Cubs 2010 24th round draft pick out of Merritt Island HS (Brevard County, FL), receiving an “overslot” bonus ($150K) to give up a chance to play college ball at nearby U. of Central Florida. He has struggled at the plate for much of his short Cub minor league career, but the big RH hitter had a really big day at the plate today, reaching base all four times he batted (two singles, a walk, and the game-winning HR), while driving-in four runs.
Also on Field #3, 19-year old Kyung-Min Na had three hits (two singles and a double) and two stolen bases, scored two runs, and knocked-in two more, while making a couple of nice running catches in the outfield. Na received a reported $725K bonus when he signed with the Cubs in 2009, and at the time was rated by all the scouts who saw him play as the “fastest HS player in South Korea.”
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Gregori Gonzalez, SS: 1-2 (K, 3B, BB, HBP, R)
2. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (2B, F-9 SF, 1-3, 6-4 FC, RBI)
3. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jesus Morelli, RF: 0-3 (5-4 FC, F-9, BB, K)
5. Max Kwan, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, 5-3, 6-4-3 DP)
6. Marco Hernandez, DH: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, F-7)
7. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-3 (K, E-6, 6-3)
8. Blair Springfield, CF: 0-3 (F-7, K, 3-1)
9. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, F-7)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 30 pitches (18 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
3. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 34 pitches (23 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ryan Hartman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gregori Gonzalez - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Charles Thomas - E1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed runner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-6 FC, HBP, K, CS)
2. Reggie Golden, DH #1: 0-4 (P-4, P-3, P-6, K)
3. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, K, R)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (K, 1B, F-9, K, R, SB)
5a. Brian Inoa, C: 2-2 (1B, BB, 1B, R, RBI)
5b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FINAL TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, 6-3, E-5, R, RBI)
7. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (3-1, 4-3, 3-U, SH-E1, R, RBI)
8. Johan DeJesus, DH #2: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 1-5 FC, 2 R, RBI, SB)
9. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 3-4 (2B, 1B, 1B, 1-4 FC, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
10. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 3-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, HR, R, 4 RBI)
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Austin Reed: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 54 pitches (28 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (12 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
NOTE: 7th inning was stopped with two outs when R. Garcia reached max pitch limit for that inning
SQUAD “B" ERRORS: 1
P Austin Reed - E1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off allowed runner to advance from 1st base to 3rd base)
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE
Brian Inoa: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.