Mets Fan Says, "smile for the birdie(s)"

Fukudome at bat after the 10th inning ARam HR. Click on the link to enlarge the fan behind the home plate ump.

Comments

at second glance, that might be Mark Cuban

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.

That's a peculiar action from a New Yorker.
---------

or maybe it's Jason Marquis charting pitches?

Wells back to Chicago for an MRI on his forearm

Lou extension/retirement talk

Soto will catch 2 of 3 this weekend in Milwaukee

i also thought that it looked like cuban

by the way, photo above noticed and snapshot taken by "Little Cubster" (Go Ken Go...)

Stay classy, New York.

I bet that looked much sharper in WGN HD.

Dusty tells off press-

More interesting part is that Dusty says he has no say on who gets signed to play with Reds.

A few thoughts about the above article:

How would you feel if Dusty reacted to rumors of your dating his daughter by saying, "She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low?"
Dude, that is rough. If I were Korey I'd be all like, "Dude, that is harsh!"

What exactly is Korey's contract status?

How sad is it that Dusty defends his decision to play Korey by saying, "Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Congratulations Korey, you are duly dubbed the tallest midget.

Well, that's not much of an argument. No one wants to go to Cincinnati. Korey could still be banging her on road trips, though.

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?

No he didn't. Where did Dusty say that?
****************************************
Um, I'd guess he said it right about here:

---Former general manager Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini had told him to get the Patterson deal done, the implication being that Baker was behind the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"---

Yeah, that is pretty much where he claims that he has no input on who gets signed.

Can you really blame the guy? Hell, a Cub fan once charged the mound after Myers blew another lead. And that guy went on to think up an insipid phrase.

Non-cub trivia. Who does this refer to:

"I just can't believe the number of guys who really dislike him," said one clubhouse insider. "It got to a point early on when I thought they were going to get together and go after him."

My first guess would be Transmission.

How long are you going to make us wait?

Wrong. I'm going to make you wait for 45 more seconds.

Answer: Ichiro!

Japan's most lovable ballplayer isn't so loved by everyone, it seems. I still love you, though, Ichiro.

I looked it up, and I cannot believe it. I love watching this dude play.

Me too! It was a real two in the pink, one in the stink.

Further along another 'insider' defends Ichiro, so who knows what's really going on. Considering he has to find ways to stay motivated on a consistently shitty and directionless club, I think he's performed admirably.

A buddy of mine lives in Seattle and showed me this link from USSMariner:

I love fans who still pull for a team, and care, despite pulling for one of the worst teams in baseball this year.

That's a good take. I live in Seattle too and like to take in a few Mariner games a year...mainly inter-league and to see Ichiro play. He's a flamboyant personality, that's for damn sure, but he's also one the best ball players I've personally had the chance to watch.

if we were Mets fans, we'd all be giving the one-finger salute to the Mets bullpen as well.

Actually, I believe the picture shows a two-finger salute. Or maybe a double one-finger salute.

yep...2 fingers worth of bird flippin'

...maybe he's just ordering two beers, new york style
... or making sure the mets outfielders know how many outs there are

• In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.

johann 25 min 38 sec ago view
  • Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?

Old and Blue 1 hour 1 min ago view
  • 34-14...awww yeah.

crunch 1 hour 57 min ago view
  • Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]

Eric S 3 hours 18 min ago view
  • ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.

cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/

• HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 48 min ago view
  • ERIC S: Best outing I've ever seen from Manny Rondon, and I've seen most of his outings since the Cubs got him from the Angels.

M. Rondon is competing with six others (Dylan Cease, Bryan Hudson, Jose Paulino, Pedro Silverio, Jesus Castillo, and Erling Moreno) for a starting slot at Eugene, and (as you can probably tell from the EXST box scores)  the competition has gotten fierce over the last couple of weeks, With the exception of Moreno, the Eugene SP candidates have upped their game lately, and M. Rondon's outing yesterday was especially impressive/dominating.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 51 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Pierce Johnsion was mixing a 92-94 MPH fastball with a plus-change-up AND curve, and he threw strike-after-strike-after-strike with all three of his pitches. I believe that was the best command and pitch-efficiency I've ever seen from Johnson, who often pitches from behind in the count and issues too many walks.

Of course now he has to avoid a recurrence of the lat strain (whch he has had previously in his career) as well as all of the other miscellaneous physical problems he's had over the last three years (hamstring, quad, back, etc).

Arizona Phil 7 hours 1 min ago view
  • PHIL: Any movement on P. Johnsons pitches? What was his "out" pitch? I know he was working on a 4th pitch, so wondering what he is looking like these days. Thanks.

• AZ Phil, has Nathan showed up in Mesa yet? Thanks.

Hagsag 12 hours 29 min ago view
  • Eickhoff looks like a good young pitcher. Lets steal him!

Hagsag 12 hours 30 min ago view
  • Manny Rondon faced 13 batters ... and got 10 to K. Not a bad day's work.

Eric S 22 hours 11 min ago view
  • With several other Cubs hitters bailing out on curves today I think overall it wasn't being seen well. It for sure looked silly but a good breaking pitch coming at you and then breaking down isn't the easiest thing to see and has made many hitters look silly. Also Soler should have more walks this year but for quite a few called strikes that were actual balls and even the called strike he bailed on was borderline.

johann 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • it's not like we're talking about a guy who's never had issues with pitch selection and seeing the ball over here. we're talking about a guy who has some rather legendary swing-and-misses at breaking stuff who's been exploited low. going forward it's worth paying attention to seeing if he can be exploited inside, too. he seriously bailed out of the box on a called strike. sure it was a good curve, but he obviously didn't see that well at all.

crunch 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • It would seem like he is figuring it out now and it's really coming together. Really happy for him. Joe was really protecting him from the 3rd time through the order, but as you allude to, he is earning trust to go deeper.

Wondering if has potential to become a #3 pitcher? His current stats certainly support it.

The E-Man 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • That doesn't count b/c CRUNCH didn't see it on his 60" HDTV 5 times in replay.

I have seen many players "bail out" when the ball looked like it was gonna hit them.

Especially with the advent of the splitter and pitchers that can really get the ball to dance. Marmol, Sutter, Pedro Martinez, Curt Schilling, Derek Lowe, Smoltz, Arrietta...

These guys have made the best bail out only for the ball to come over the plate and be called a strike.

No shame in that. The same way players whiff hard enough to cause them to drill a hole in the ground from spinning.

The E-Man 1 day 1 hour ago view