Geiger Blast Can't Counter Pitchers Wild Ride through Fitch Park
Reggie Golden and Jeimer Candelario ripped back-to-back doubles to score one run and Dustin Geiger clubbed a three-run HR onto 8th Street to plate three more, but the Diamondbacks took advantage of eight walks, a HBP, six wild pitches, and two errors to defeat the Cubs 7-4 in AZ Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
LHP (ex-OF) Matt Spencer had an Outing from Hell in what was his second Instructs game appearance since being converted to a pitcher, allowing two runs on four walks and four wild pitches in just 2/3 of an inning (26 pitches - only eight strikes) in the top of the 5th as the Diamondbacks took a 4-1 lead.
After Dustin Geiger slugged his three-run bomb to tie the score in the bottom of the 5th, RHP Amaury Paulino gave it all right back in the top of the 6th, allowing three runs on two walks, a HBP, a double, and a WP.
Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, 2B: 0-4 (K, 4-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4-3 DP, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, BB, CS)
3. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 1-3, L-6)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (3-1, F-8, 3-1, BB)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (2B, BB, L-7, F-8, 2 R)
6. Jeimer Candelario, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, E-4, 2 R, RBI)
7. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (6-5 FC, HR, 4-6-3 DP, 1 R, 3 RBI)
8. Micah Gibbs, DH-C: 1-3 (K, E-6, 1B)
9. Mark Malave, C-DH: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B)
10. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
1. Jose Arias: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/5 GO/FO
3. Matt Spencer: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 4 WP, 26 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Amaury Paulino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Scott Weismann: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (18 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
6. Dustin Fitzgerald: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (6 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
7. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Zeke DeVoss - E-4 (errant throw attempting to turn inning-ending 6-4-3 DP allowed batter-runner to advance to 2nd base)
1. Mark Malave: 0-1 CS
2. Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Overcast, breezy, and occasional drizzle, with temperatures in the 70’s
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight