Cubs Play to Win (and Also to Tie) at Indian School Park
Starling Peralta threw three perfect innings and Wilson Contreras, Kevin Encarnacion, and Garrett Schlecht smacked run-scoring hits in a five-run 7th, as one squad of Cubs rallied from a 5-0 deficit to tie the Giants 5-5 on Field #1, while meanwhile three pitchers were combining to throw a two-hitter on Field #2 as the other squad of Cubs edged the Giants 2-1, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
Javier Baez went 0-2, both towering fly balls to LF. One was dropped by the left-fielder for a two-base error, and Baez would come around to score later in the inning on a throwing error by the Giants first-baseman as Baez was taking 3rd base (after initially holding at 2nd) on a 5-3 GO.
RHP Su-Min Jung continues to struggle with "Steve Blass Disease," as he once again was unable to finish an inning. In his first two EXST appearances (1.1 IP), Jung has walked seven (51 pitches - only 17 strikes).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, 4-3)
4. Jair Bogaerts, DH #2: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, R)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-2 (K, L-7, BB, R)
6a. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
6b. Luis Acosta, 2B: 0-0 (BB, R)
7a. Wilfredo Petit, C: LEFT GAME WITH SHOULDER INJURY PRIOR TO FIRST AB
7b. Wilson Contreras, C: 2-3 (1B, 1-6 FC, 2B, R, 2 RBI, 2 SB, PO)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (1-3, 5-3, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, RBI)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-6)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ryan Hartman: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 42 pitches (23 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
3. Su-Min Jung: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 28 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, L-9)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (F-7, E-7, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, 5-3)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 3-U, R)
6. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 1-3)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
10. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
11a. Delbis Arcila, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 45 pitches (32 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (10 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 20 pitches (13 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
1B Rock Shoulders – E-3 (missed catch on what should have been a 6-3 GO allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight