Cub Bats Rock Fitch Park
Javier Baez (solo HR and a two-run single), Jeimer Candelario (two-run triple and an RBI single), and Danny Lockhart (two-run single and an RBI single) drove-in three runs a piece, Xavier Batista doubled twice, singled, and scored a run, and Micah Gibbs reached base four times on two singles and two walks and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 11-3 thumping of the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
On the AAA Iowa Cubs Disabled List since April 19th with back issues, veteran LHRP Ryan Rowland-Smith made a rehab appearance in today’s game, throwing an 11-pitch 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) and an infield pop out. He looks like he’s ready to return to the I-Cubs bullpen.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 2B Gioskar Amaya has returned from his three-day stint with the Iowa Cubs in Sacramento, where the 19-year old had a pinch-hit double yesterday. Amaya was in the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing 2B and going 0-3 with two walks and a run scored. (Amaya leads the EXST Cubs in walks with 12).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, P-4, F-9)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3, BB, BB, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (HR, K, K, 1B, E-8, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 1B, R)
4a. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 0-2 (P-4, 3-U)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-3 (4-3, BB, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, PO)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 2-5 (F-8, 1B, P-5, 1B, 4-6 FC, 2 R, RBI)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (4-3, K, 1B, K, R)
8. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-3 (4-3, 3B, SH-E5, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
9b. Eduardo Gonzalez, PH-LF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, F-8, R)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, K, F-7)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 PO, 47 pitches (31 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Ryan Rowland-Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Javier Castro: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2:
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
2. P Jose Arias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Trey Martin - threw out runner 8-5 trying to advance an extra base on overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and VERY breezy with 100+ temperatures
Is this an old story? Regardless, it's awesome.
He's gonna turn 23 in a week.
Average age in A-ball is 21.2.
I'm sure he'll get a promotion soon though.
Yeah we're playing the Braves. No need for him to play this weekend though it sounds like he's available to pinch hit.
An all-round brutal article. He's not wrong, though.
Whew. Take no chances with him, please!
Per Muskat tweet:
"MRI confirmed #Cubs Bryant has mild ankle sprain. Will not play today. Not expected to go on DL"
"Nothing stunts a pitcher’s development like playing for the Orioles..."
Cubs have a guy you never heard of who gets hits every night for South Bend and is hitting .390 after 64 PAs.
Daniel Spingola, left/left, mostly RF, 31st rounder last June.
So while I'm not happy about this pick and hes going to be a project the positive that can be said is we aren't expected to compete this year and we have a decent LB core so he doesn't have to just go in and dominate. He has some time to develop and he obviously has the athletic ability and speed to build on. It
Going from a first place team to a third place team is a painful process.
Cards already whining
Cardinals look a little road-weary on getaway day http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals//post/_...
-via ESPN http://es.pn/app
dee gordon (MIA) suspended 80 days for PEDs. wow.
"excessive testosterone and Clostebol"
hell of a late-night news flash.
Seems like a bizarre pick -- they moved up 2 spots to pick up a guy who was not dominant in college. According to the talking heads, supposedly a great athlete (but an unpolished football player). So was Alonzo Spellman. And the guy who could jump out of a pool. Bears have missed the playoffs 5 straight years and 8 of the last 9. And they made Marc Trestman an NFL head coach. Maybe they can hire Theo in his free time. Sheesh.
And then the Bears pick an undersized linebacker with very few sacks in his college career and very little ability to shed blocks and the draft becomes less of a joy.