Cubs Drop One to Diamondbacks, Tie the Other
John Leonard belted an RBI triple, singled twice, and scored a run, and Carter Bell drilled a two-run double, as one squad of Diamondbacks defeated one squad of Cubs 5-2 on Field #3, while on Field #4, 16-year old Sergio Alcantara doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Michael Brenly singled, doubled, and scored two runs for the Diamondbacks, and Neftali Rosario singled, walked, scored a run, and knocked-in another for the Cubs, as the two squads played to a 4-4 tie, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (K, F-9, L-1, K)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
3. David Bote, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 1-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
5a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (6-3, L-8)
5b. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-1 (K)
6. Brad Zapenas, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, E-4, 6-U FC, R)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 6-3, RBI)
8. Alberto Mineo, DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3, BB)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, F-8, HBP, R, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was stopped with two outs when Prieto reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on FC allowed baserunner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
1b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PH: 0-1 (P-5)
2. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-1 (BB, HBP, K)
3. Jose Dore, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
5. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, R)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, BB, R, RBI)
7. Wilfredo Petit, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-8, 3-U)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (K, L-8, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, F-7 SF, RBI, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 52 pitches (30 striikes), 6/0 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (25 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Trey Lang - E-1 (overthrow on attempted FC at 2nd base allowed baserunner to reach basse safely)
2. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (throwing error at 1st base on infield single allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario; 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus