Cubs & Wyverns Play to 3-3 Tie at Talking Stick
The Cubs rallied for three runs in the 8th, and played the SK Wyverns (KBO) to a 3-3 tie in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talkng Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
Trailing 2-0, the Cubs posted a three-spot in the top of the 8th. Jose Dore led-off with a bloop single to CF, and advanced to 3rd on a Tyler Alamo line-drive single to right. Erick Castillo plated Dore with a sacrifice fly, and Wilfredo Petit blooped a single down the left-field line, sending Alamo to 3rd. After pinch-runner Frandy de la Rosa stole 2nd base, Alamo scored and de la Rosa moved-up to 3rd on a PB. Jacob Hanneman struck out swinging for the second out of the inning, but de la Rosa scored on a costly two-out E-5 bobble by the Wyverns third-baseman.
Cub pitchers combined to toss a four-hitter, with RHP Jose Arias striking out the side (all three swinging) on 11 pitches in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the tie.
The Defensive Play of the Game was a back-handed diving catch by Cub third-baseman Jesse Hodges to end the 6th.
After going hitless in his first 14 AZIL AB (15 PA), 16-year old Venezuelan SS Gleyber Torres collected his first pro hit (a single) in the top of the 4th inning. He then promptly stole 2nd base. Torres also dropped a routine infield pop fly for an E-6 (his 4th error in six AZIL games) that resulted in an unearned run scoring in the bottom of the 1st.
Torres was rated the #2 international prospect by Baseball America this past Summer, before signing with the Cubs ($1.7M bonus) in July. The Cubs also signed BA's 2013 #1 rated international prospect (16-year old Dominican OF Eloy Jimenez - $2.8M bonus) in August, and while he is at Instructs and has been participating in workouts and intrasquad & sim games, he hasn't played in any AZIL games yet.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-7, 4-3, K)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, E-5, SB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, F-9, K, K)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, 1-3)
5. Danny Lockhart, 2B:1-4 (6-3, 3-6 FC, P-5, 1B, SB)
6. Ben Carhart, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, L-7, 6-4 FC)
7. Jose Dore, LF: 2-3 (1B, K 1B, R)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-2 (F-7, F-7)
8b. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
9. Erick Castillo, DH #1: 0-2 (K, F-9, F-8 SF, RBI)
10a. Wilfredo Petit, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, CS)
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, PR: NO AB (R, SB)
1. Trey Masek: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
NOTE: Masek's first inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for that inning (28)
2. Tyler Ihrig: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Rob Zastryzny: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 1 H. 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Jose Arias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped infield pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
from the Sunday Trib...
Motte has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 24 because of a right shoulder strain, but there’s a possibility he could rejoin the Cubs if they advance deep in the playoffs.
Motte is scheduled to pitch in simulated games and in Instructional League games in Arizona.
8 in a row to end the year...let's do this playoffs thing.
3.02 era, 1.25 whip, 205.1ip, 171K
By making the start (his 32nd start of the season) he picked up $500K, and he'll get the remaining $500K if he can throw at least 8.2 IP in the game (he was at 181.1 IP coming into the game, and he needs to reach 190 IP to get the remaining $500K),
It's a bit like the old "Bowling for Dollars" TV show, but of course Haren is actually "Pitching for Dollars."
holy crap, MIL is just...awful.
i think he's currently playing for the Santo Domingo Meths. he's an Adderall-Star player there.
I'm longing for a Neifi sighting.
TBS, TNT, ESPN 1+2, etc...100% legal.
68 pitches (50 strikes)
love seeing that...especially with the batters doing very little with it.
Yeah, keep him off the playoff roster.
Or, he's looked exactly like Ted Williams.
Lately he hasn't looked like Ted Williams...
Bryant leads NL rookies in HRs (26), RBIs (99), 2B (31) and runs (86). Last rookie to reach 26 HR, 99 RBI, 31 2bs, 86 runs and 74 BBs?
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales 4m4 minutes ago
Boston’s Ted Williams in 1939