Cubs & Wyverns Play to 3-3 Tie at Talking Stick
The Cubs rallied for three runs in the 8th, and played the SK Wyverns (KBO) to a 3-3 tie in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talkng Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
Trailing 2-0, the Cubs posted a three-spot in the top of the 8th. Jose Dore led-off with a bloop single to CF, and advanced to 3rd on a Tyler Alamo line-drive single to right. Erick Castillo plated Dore with a sacrifice fly, and Wilfredo Petit blooped a single down the left-field line, sending Alamo to 3rd. After pinch-runner Frandy de la Rosa stole 2nd base, Alamo scored and de la Rosa moved-up to 3rd on a PB. Jacob Hanneman struck out swinging for the second out of the inning, but de la Rosa scored on a costly two-out E-5 bobble by the Wyverns third-baseman.
Cub pitchers combined to toss a four-hitter, with RHP Jose Arias striking out the side (all three swinging) on 11 pitches in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the tie.
The Defensive Play of the Game was a back-handed diving catch by Cub third-baseman Jesse Hodges to end the 6th.
After going hitless in his first 14 AZIL AB (15 PA), 16-year old Venezuelan SS Gleyber Torres collected his first pro hit (a single) in the top of the 4th inning. He then promptly stole 2nd base. Torres also dropped a routine infield pop fly for an E-6 (his 4th error in six AZIL games) that resulted in an unearned run scoring in the bottom of the 1st.
Torres was rated the #2 international prospect by Baseball America this past Summer, before signing with the Cubs ($1.7M bonus) in July. The Cubs also signed BA's 2013 #1 rated international prospect (16-year old Dominican OF Eloy Jimenez - $2.8M bonus) in August, and while he is at Instructs and has been participating in workouts and intrasquad & sim games, he hasn't played in any AZIL games yet.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-7, 4-3, K)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, E-5, SB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, F-9, K, K)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, 1-3)
5. Danny Lockhart, 2B:1-4 (6-3, 3-6 FC, P-5, 1B, SB)
6. Ben Carhart, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, L-7, 6-4 FC)
7. Jose Dore, LF: 2-3 (1B, K 1B, R)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-2 (F-7, F-7)
8b. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
9. Erick Castillo, DH #1: 0-2 (K, F-9, F-8 SF, RBI)
10a. Wilfredo Petit, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, CS)
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, PR: NO AB (R, SB)
1. Trey Masek: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
NOTE: Masek's first inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for that inning (28)
2. Tyler Ihrig: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Rob Zastryzny: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 1 H. 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Jose Arias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped infield pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
I wonder if they'll have to make use of the Guaranteed Rate logo, which is a giant red arrow pointing downward.
unsurprisingly, the White Sox continue a tradition of stupid stuff....
@DannyEcker BREAKING: Guaranteed Rate has purchased naming rights to U.S. Cellular Field. Will be known as Guaranteed Rate Field thru 2030.
that was a very kind 3rd strike to hendricks to end the 3rd.
man on 3rd, 0 outs and got 2 pop-ups and a K...Maddux-lite indeed
how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
by making bad decisions...
he held on a popup (in case he needed to tag up) that bounced off the wall then jogged to 3rd. there were 0 outs so that probably played into the casual nature of how he played it.
Not watching -- how did Fowler not score from 2nd on a double?
Well I assume Ross is going to catch Lester in the playoffs, and it looks like Contreras is going to catch everyone else. I could see the Cubs keeping three catchers on the playoff roster as it would give them flexibility and Montero would have a left handed bat with some pop (at least historically) off the bench.
Aren't Montero and Ross already in a tie for third catcher?
Higher than Chris Perez's mailbox.
Contreras starting at catcher for a day game after he caught the night before. What do people think the odds are that Montero is left off the post-season roster, or is at best the third catcher?
Does he project as a starter, a relief pitcher, or is it too soon to tell?
Rizzo getting a well deserved breather today with Bryant at 1B. Soler back in lineup batting cleanup and playing LF, otherwise all of the all-stars batting 1-5 again (what a luxury)
in his last 11 innings, he has 21K, 6BB, 4 hits and one ER. Nice!
5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)
sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.