Cubs & Wyverns Play to 3-3 Tie at Talking Stick
The Cubs rallied for three runs in the 8th, and played the SK Wyverns (KBO) to a 3-3 tie in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talkng Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
Trailing 2-0, the Cubs posted a three-spot in the top of the 8th. Jose Dore led-off with a bloop single to CF, and advanced to 3rd on a Tyler Alamo line-drive single to right. Erick Castillo plated Dore with a sacrifice fly, and Wilfredo Petit blooped a single down the left-field line, sending Alamo to 3rd. After pinch-runner Frandy de la Rosa stole 2nd base, Alamo scored and de la Rosa moved-up to 3rd on a PB. Jacob Hanneman struck out swinging for the second out of the inning, but de la Rosa scored on a costly two-out E-5 bobble by the Wyverns third-baseman.
Cub pitchers combined to toss a four-hitter, with RHP Jose Arias striking out the side (all three swinging) on 11 pitches in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the tie.
The Defensive Play of the Game was a back-handed diving catch by Cub third-baseman Jesse Hodges to end the 6th.
After going hitless in his first 14 AZIL AB (15 PA), 16-year old Venezuelan SS Gleyber Torres collected his first pro hit (a single) in the top of the 4th inning. He then promptly stole 2nd base. Torres also dropped a routine infield pop fly for an E-6 (his 4th error in six AZIL games) that resulted in an unearned run scoring in the bottom of the 1st.
Torres was rated the #2 international prospect by Baseball America this past Summer, before signing with the Cubs ($1.7M bonus) in July. The Cubs also signed BA's 2013 #1 rated international prospect (16-year old Dominican OF Eloy Jimenez - $2.8M bonus) in August, and while he is at Instructs and has been participating in workouts and intrasquad & sim games, he hasn't played in any AZIL games yet.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-7, 4-3, K)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, E-5, SB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, F-9, K, K)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, 1-3)
5. Danny Lockhart, 2B:1-4 (6-3, 3-6 FC, P-5, 1B, SB)
6. Ben Carhart, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, L-7, 6-4 FC)
7. Jose Dore, LF: 2-3 (1B, K 1B, R)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-2 (F-7, F-7)
8b. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
9. Erick Castillo, DH #1: 0-2 (K, F-9, F-8 SF, RBI)
10a. Wilfredo Petit, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, CS)
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, PR: NO AB (R, SB)
1. Trey Masek: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
NOTE: Masek's first inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for that inning (28)
2. Tyler Ihrig: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Rob Zastryzny: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 1 H. 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Jose Arias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped infield pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.
Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...
Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.