Angel Miscues Help Cubs Rally for Victory
Roney Alcala singled twice, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Antonio Valerio singled twice, doubled, and collected two RBI, as the Cubs rallied for three runs in the 9th and defeated the Angels 5-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
The two teams combined to commit nine errors, including four by Angel SS Franklin Torres.
Eloy Jimenez played RF for the first time in about a month. He has been nursing a sore right arm that has not prevented him from hitting but has kept him from throwing.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-5 (K, 5-3, 1B, F-7, K, SB)
2a. Kevin Brown, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 2B, K, RBI)
2b. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-1 (HBP, E-1, R)
3. Shamil Ubiera, LF: 1-5 (1B, 6-3, P-6, P-5, K+WP, R)
4a. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-2 (5-4 FC, E-6, R)
4b. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 3-U)
5. Antonio Valerio, DH: 3-5 (K, 2B, E-6, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-5 (1-3, 6-3, 1B, 5-4 FC, E-6)
7a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (F-8, 3-U)
7b. Mark Malave, PH-C: 0-2 (K, E-6, BB, CS)
8. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, P-6, K)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 3-4 (1B, 3-U, 2B, 1B, 2 R, SB)
1. Tyler Ihrig: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 51 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Hector Perez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 23 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Andin Diaz: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Francisco Carrillo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. P Tyler Ihrig - E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. P Tyler Ihrig - E-1 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 2nd base allowed runner to score unearned run)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base - eventually scored unearned run)
4. LF Shamil Ubiera - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach 2nd base and runner at 2nd base to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-3 CS, 1 PO
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Guess which one is Vogelberg
Bear fans are so impatient! They signed that great All-American QB out of Columbia--Luckman--just a little while ago, didn't they? Now it's the Eagles' turn. After all, it's been almost ten years since McNabb.
" . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"
He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.
For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.
Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.
Just scroll by.
John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Monday's intrasquad game:
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!
Dear Baseball Gods--
My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.