Brailyn Marquez Goes Five-Strong at Riverview Park
LHSP Brailyn Marquez fired five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with seven strikeouts (and threw 73% strikes), Luis Hidalgo belted an RBI triple, singled, walked, and scored two runs, Christopher Morel drilled a solo HR, Kevin Zamudio slugged a two-run HR, and Carlos Pacheco doubled twice, walked, and scored a run, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The EXST Cubs had a few days off during the MLB First-Year Player Draft, before returning to the field to prepare for the start of the short-season leagues.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner (who has been at Extended Spring Training since the end of Minor League Camp) has received a 100 game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has returned home. This is his second "Drug of Abuse" suspension this season (the first one was for 50 games and it expired last week). So Garner will have to wait until Iowa plays another 100 regular season games before he can be reinstated (which will take the suspension well into April 2019, because the I-Cubs have only 83 games left in the 2018 season). And Garner was throwing the ball really well at Extended Spring Training, too...
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-4, 1B, K)
2. Luis Diaz, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, L-8, L-4 DP, BB)
3. Jonathan Soto, DH #2: 0-4 (E-4, F-9, 1-3, F-7)
4. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-3 (E-6, HR, F-7, R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Henderson Perez, C: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
5b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (K)
6a. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 0-1 (K)
6b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, K)
7. Chris Carrier, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, E-5)
8. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-7, F-8)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (6-3 DP, K, P-6)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (4-3 K, 5-3, 3B, R, RBI)
2. Jonathan Sierra,DH #1: 1-4 (K, 3-1, K, 1B)
3. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 2-3 (BB, 5-3, 2B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-4 (F-7, K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, L-7)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, F-8, R, 2 SB)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-7, P-3 DP, RBI)
8. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (L-6, 1B, 3-U, R)
9. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
10. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, E-5, F-9, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Ryan Williams: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/AO, 67 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Ivan Medina: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Brailyn Marquez: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/5 GO/AO, 73 pitches (53 strikes)
2. Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Luis Aquino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ramsey Romano: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. 2B Delvin Zinn: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Fidel Mejia: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Arizona Phil 1 hour 17 min ago (view)
CUBSTER: Manuel Rodriguez was one of about two dozen players signed by the Cubs out of Mexico 2015-17 and he was one of the most-advanced (he spent three seasons in the Mexican League before signing with the Cubs).
Arizona Phil 1 hour 56 min ago (view)
KKvG: The Cubs are doing their Strength & Conditioning Camp October-Thanksgiving and will have Winter Instructs in January.
KingKongvsGodzilla 2 hours 16 min ago (view)
Cool post, thanks. To go completely off topic - are Fall instructs happening this year? Did they already happen?
Cubster 2 hours 27 min ago (view)
Grandal leaves Brewers for WSox, 4/73 for a 31 yr old switch hitting catcher that hit .246 with decent on base and power.
crunch 3 hours 20 min ago (view)
mekkes plays out like d.maples, but mekkes doesn't throw as hard, mostly just throws his fastball, and it has great deception. both of them have no predictable command and control.
given that mekkes is only expected to be a pen arm at best anyway, someone might very well snag him even if they end up sending him back before the season.
if we still were in an era where you could have "specialist" relievers rather than this new era of innings-guys, he would probably be on the cubs roster given that righties are generally lost against him.
cubbies.4ever 1 day 47 min ago (view)
Why no Dakota Meekes? Somebody is gonna take him.
Cubster 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Per S Sharma: "Cubs have added C Miguel Amaya, RHP Tyson Miller, RHP Manuel Rodriguez and INF Zack Short to the 40-man roster, which now stands at 36."
...Manny Rodriguez must be a bit of a surprise.
erich081 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Interesting, thanks AZ Phil.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
First.Pitch.120: Without citing the source, I can say that other than Miguel Amaya, no Cub eligible for selection in the 2019 Rule 5 Draft is more-likely to be selected (if left unprotected) than P. J. Higgins, and if Higgins is selected, the Cubs will almost certainly not get him back.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
AZ PHIL: can you tell us a bit more about the "likely" ranking for PJ Higgins? I haven't had a chance to see him IRL. His stat sheet looks ok but not necessarily above some others. Is it a case of the "useful AAA catcher who can also do other things while not destroying you with the bat"?
JustSayin' 5 days 9 hours ago (view)
I hear you but welcome to the world of Theo. The team is always a step or two away from the World Series in his mind, whether that is true or not. Therefore, the thing to do on the margin is to trade top prospects or younger guys on the roster for that missing puzzle piece, not build for the future. I had a front-row seat for this as a Red Sox fan. If Pedro Martinez doesn't insist the Red Sox sign David Ortiz for table scraps and Chris Bryant isn't the no-brainer second pick in the draft, we'd all be wondering what happened to that Theo guy who was in the Red S
Cubster 5 days 10 hours ago (view)
Shogo Akiyama is a lefty bat, career BA at.301 w/ Seibu Lions. Recent OBPs: .419, .385, .398, .403 and .392. HR 20-15 in last 3 seasons Stolen bases, 12 in 2019, 18 in best season (2016). Defense supposedly plus-plus, 7-10 assists (10 in 2016). Clearly a leadoff hitter.
crunch 6 days 3 hours ago (view)
christian yelich committed internet homicide on yu darvish...
Charlie 6 days 7 hours ago (view)
Little in the offseason could make me happier than the Cubs finding ways to retain the good MLB players who came up with them while remaining competitive. This Javy extension talk makes me much happier as a fan than the Bryant and Contreras trade talk.
crunch 6 days 7 hours ago (view)
"Javy Baez. The two-time All-Star shortstop and 2018 MVP runner-up already has begun negotiations on a potential long-term extension with the Cubs, according to sources."
also, some talk of being linked to shogo akiyama (CF, Japan, 32yo in April)
crunch 1 week 4 hours ago (view)
j.odorizzi accepted his qualifying offer (17.8m) from MIN...so did j.abreu (CWS)....everyone else is gonna play the FA market.
w.smith (SF) immediately signed with the braves for 3/39 (13m team option/1m buyout on the backend). braves lose a 2nd round pick...which they'll probably get back when someone signs j.donaldson.