Brailyn Marquez Goes Five-Strong at Riverview Park
LHSP Brailyn Marquez fired five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with seven strikeouts (and threw 73% strikes), Luis Hidalgo belted an RBI triple, singled, walked, and scored two runs, Christopher Morel drilled a solo HR, Kevin Zamudio slugged a two-run HR, and Carlos Pacheco doubled twice, walked, and scored a run, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The EXST Cubs had a few days off during the MLB First-Year Player Draft, before returning to the field to prepare for the start of the short-season leagues.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner (who has been at Extended Spring Training since the end of Minor League Camp) has received a 100 game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has returned home. This is his second "Drug of Abuse" suspension this season (the first one was for 50 games and it expired last week). So Garner will have to wait until Iowa plays another 100 regular season games before he can be reinstated (which will take the suspension well into April 2019, because the I-Cubs have only 83 games left in the 2018 season). And Garner was throwing the ball really well at Extended Spring Training, too...
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-4, 1B, K)
2. Luis Diaz, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, L-8, L-4 DP, BB)
3. Jonathan Soto, DH #2: 0-4 (E-4, F-9, 1-3, F-7)
4. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-3 (E-6, HR, F-7, R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Henderson Perez, C: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
5b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (K)
6a. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 0-1 (K)
6b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, K)
7. Chris Carrier, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, E-5)
8. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-7, F-8)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (6-3 DP, K, P-6)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (4-3 K, 5-3, 3B, R, RBI)
2. Jonathan Sierra,DH #1: 1-4 (K, 3-1, K, 1B)
3. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 2-3 (BB, 5-3, 2B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-4 (F-7, K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, L-7)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, F-8, R, 2 SB)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-7, P-3 DP, RBI)
8. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (L-6, 1B, 3-U, R)
9. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
10. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, E-5, F-9, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Ryan Williams: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/AO, 67 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Ivan Medina: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Brailyn Marquez: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/5 GO/AO, 73 pitches (53 strikes)
2. Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Luis Aquino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ramsey Romano: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. 2B Delvin Zinn: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Fidel Mejia: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 5 hours 8 min ago (view)
iapoce expected to stay. i'm surprised. i know it's a weird/short season, but it was a season-long slump for a lot of guys and answers weren't showing up.
crunch 6 hours 8 min ago (view)
i eagerly await the espn 10 part mini-series "Rafael Palmeiro, More Like Rafael Baseballmerio" covering those 28 legendary games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 18 min ago (view)
In fairness those 28 games he played at 1B were breathtaking that year
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 25 min ago (view)
Cubs fire asst. hitting coach Terrmel Sledge. I knew it was his fault!
crunch 6 hours 26 min ago (view)
shout out to 1999 1st base gold glove winner rafael palmeiro. 25 starts (28 games total) at 1st...128 starts at DH.
Charlie 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Lol at Nico getting nominated for riding the bench a lot.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
RF Jason Heyward, SS Javier Baez, 2B Nico Hoerner, 1B Anthony Rizzo, C Willson Contreras, and Ps Kyle Hendricks and Alec Mills gold glove finalists
bradsbeard 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
Thank you, sir! Sounds like a nice get for the Cubs, and a good project for (what's left of) the new development infrastructure.
Arizona Phil 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
There have been some holes in the AZIL east-side schedule, with one team canceling games last week (although they are back playing this week) and another canceling game this week due to CoViD-19 issue, so the other teams (like the Cubs) are making up some of the "lost" games with intrasquad and in-house "sim" games.
Arizona Phil 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: From what I have seen of Jacob Wetzel so far (BP, fielding practice, base-running drills, sim games, AZIL games, and yesterday's intasquad game), I would say he looks like a football running back playing baseball in that he has a high motor and plays with a bit of an edge.
He has a thick body but he also has plus speed (very much like a football running back in that respect), he runs the bases aggressively, makes hard contact, has HR power, a decent arm, maybe can use some work in the outfield as far as tracking balls.
bradsbeard 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
Phil, curious if you've seen enough of Jacob Wetzel to offer an initial scouting report. Just from watching some prep video he looked pretty strong and fairly athletic (HS football player and all). Impressive numbers albeit in community college, but he was a division 1 recruit before that so he's pretty intriguing to me.
KingKongvsGodzilla 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
AZPhil, thank you for these updates! It's a nice little pick me up during this dumb year. If you have anything to say on Yohendrick Pinango, Joel Machado, Rafael Morel, or Richard Gallardo, I would love to hear it! Thanks again!
crunch 4 days 12 hours ago (view)
jim hickey new nats pitching coach.
bradsbeard 5 days 7 hours ago (view)
Several non-prospects ate up spots as well. Ultimately wish they had given a few more Rivas types a shot there.
tim815 5 days 8 hours ago (view)
Only 60 spots in SB. Others benefited more from the time.
crunch 5 days 11 hours ago (view)
not phil, but i think everyone is holding off on his potential ceiling until he gains enough weight to not look like someone you want to buy a sandwich every time you see him.
big upside if his skills can strengthen as he builds his body.
too early for a solid comp, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing ian happ's name around (bit better arm than happ, though).