Brailyn Marquez Goes Five-Strong at Riverview Park
LHSP Brailyn Marquez fired five innings of three-hit/one-run ball with seven strikeouts (and threw 73% strikes), Luis Hidalgo belted an RBI triple, singled, walked, and scored two runs, Christopher Morel drilled a solo HR, Kevin Zamudio slugged a two-run HR, and Carlos Pacheco doubled twice, walked, and scored a run, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The EXST Cubs had a few days off during the MLB First-Year Player Draft, before returning to the field to prepare for the start of the short-season leagues.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner (who has been at Extended Spring Training since the end of Minor League Camp) has received a 100 game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has returned home. This is his second "Drug of Abuse" suspension this season (the first one was for 50 games and it expired last week). So Garner will have to wait until Iowa plays another 100 regular season games before he can be reinstated (which will take the suspension well into April 2019, because the I-Cubs have only 83 games left in the 2018 season). And Garner was throwing the ball really well at Extended Spring Training, too...
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-4 (K, P-4, 1B, K)
2. Luis Diaz, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, L-8, L-4 DP, BB)
3. Jonathan Soto, DH #2: 0-4 (E-4, F-9, 1-3, F-7)
4. Christopher Morel, SS: 1-3 (E-6, HR, F-7, R, RBI)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5a. Henderson Perez, C: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
5b. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-1 (K)
6a. Abraham Rodriguez, LF: 0-1 (K)
6b. Tolly Filotei, LF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, K)
7. Chris Carrier, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, E-5)
8. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-7, F-8)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (6-3 DP, K, P-6)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (K, F-7, 1B, CS)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (4-3 K, 5-3, 3B, R, RBI)
2. Jonathan Sierra,DH #1: 1-4 (K, 3-1, K, 1B)
3. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 2-3 (BB, 5-3, 2B, 2B, R, PO)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-4 (F-7, K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 2B, L-7)
6a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, F-8, R, 2 SB)
6b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Cam Balego, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-7, P-3 DP, RBI)
8. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (L-6, 1B, 3-U, R)
9. Luis Hidalgo, 1B: 2-2 (1B, 3B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
10. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, E-5, F-9, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Ryan Williams: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4/5 GO/AO, 67 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Ivan Medina: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Brailyn Marquez: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 2/5 GO/AO, 73 pitches (53 strikes)
2. Stephen Ridings: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 33 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Luis Aquino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ramsey Romano: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. 2B Delvin Zinn: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 3B Fidel Mejia: E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and runner to score from 2nd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 hours 34 min ago (view)
Carlos Zambrano. Loved Z but by the end of
his tenure he was absolutely a negative influence.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 hours 35 min ago (view)
I find it odd that they were basically able to totally re order the rotation and didn't move Hendricks to a home start this weekend against he team he tossed a shutout against.
Cubster 4 hours 7 min ago (view)
Aha, I see a topic. List all time Cub clubhouse cancers.
crunch 15 hours 20 min ago (view)
the indians waited too long to get trevor bauer away from influencing clevenger as a professional and human being...
there's a reason bauer has been sold "below cost" by 2 teams now.
also, do they even care that carlos carrasco is coming back from a boatload of chemo and has decided to participate in this season when he could have just taken his $$ and gone home for a year?
crunch 19 hours 1 min ago (view)
thursday stl/det double header postponed.
cards have played 5 games and might not play a 6th until the weekend...maybe.
some other teams will be 20+ games played at that point.
Eric S 19 hours 44 min ago (view)
Dietrich ends up with the Rangers on a minor league deal and sent to their alternate training site.
Cubster 20 hours 26 min ago (view)
No new Cardinals tested negative on Sunday. They need two days in a row of neg. testing to get the OK to resume the season. Today's tests are not back.
crunch 21 hours 52 min ago (view)
STL is going to go 1/2 month without playing a game...more at this point are possible.
they've played 5 games. some teams have played 16-17 games.
Childersb3 22 hours 17 min ago (view)
Why isn't Ryan Jensen at South Bend these days?
Regardless of if he gets called up. He should be there if he's healthy and able
crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
"Zach Plesac (CLE) was sent home by the Indians and will be quarantined for 72 hours going out with friends in Chicago on Saturday night."
Eric S 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Cubs have reset the rotation ahead of the series against the Indians: Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Chatwood and Mills
Mills and Hendricks no longer back to back which makes sense given their similar styles
Mornington Crescent 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
They actually did a Strat-O-Matic simulation of the 1981 all star game at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland when the game was cancelled due to the strike, complete with scoreboard display. Bob Feller did the ceremonial first dice roll.
Arizona Phil 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Derek Dietrich getting released and opening up a slot on the Cubs MLB Club Player Pool roster (which was full prior to Dietrich getting released) would allow Mark Zagunis to opt back into the season (if he so chooses) and return to the Club Player Pool, if being on the Restricted List was going to prevent him from being a first-time minor league 6YFA post-2020.
Arizona Phil 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
The path for Dietrich to the Cubs MLB Active List roster was always based on a potential injury to Rizzo, Kipnis, Schwarber, or Heyward, so I can see why Dietrich would request his release - IF - he has a for sure MLB gig with another club waiting for him, but otherwise no.
Eric S 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
Cubs released Derek Dietrich from his minor league contract - at Dietrich's request - so he can pursue other MLB opportunities. Wouldn't be surprised if he hooks on with the Braves as 2B Ozzie Albies was put on the IL last week with a wrist injury that may take considerable time to heal. In any event, the Cubs player pool back to 59 of a possible 60 players.