Where's the Beefy?

The Cubs version of Fluffy will no longer exist as the Cubs have traded "catcher" Welington Castillo to the Seattle Mariners for relief pitcher Yoervis Medina.  Before I dig into the new guy, let's eulogize Beefy for a bit.

While I'm all for letting prospects develop, Beefy got on my nerves from the very get go. For a "catcher" he didn't do that very well...literally. I'm sure my memory is worse than the reality of it, but I just remeber a bunch of passed balls when he first got called up and some terrible receiving in the way he did catch balls that led strikes to be called balls. It never really got better. He threw some guys out, but if there was ever a player that the "second division starter" label should attach itself too, it was our dear friend Beefy. Enjoy the spacious Safeco Field.

As for the new guy, 26-year old Yoervis Medina, he was a lot more exciting the last few years when he was striking out guys at a clip over 9 per 9 innings. This year that number is down to 6.75 and it's married to a 2 mph drop in his velocity, per the numbers you can find on Fangraphs. Maybe this will turn into a Pedro Strop turnaround story, but seems more likely it'll be a Tommy John story or a Daniel Bard story.

I believe Medina is headed to Iowa anyway as he did have some options left and he entered the season with just over 2 years of service time, so he can be a Cub for quite a few seasons if he can get corrected.  Not much to like about this trade, not much to dislike either. With Castillo off the team and Medina headed to Iowa, it does mean a player call-up is looming.

Comments

Medina: ERA FIP XFIP WAR 3.00 4.48 5.37 -0.1 Shitter: 8.10 6.75 3.89 -0.2 Factor in the AL DH, and this is an upgrade any way you slice it. Maybe "Magic Bos" can help him be effective. Unlike Shitter ever was.

Medina isn't even going to be called up unless he figures things out. Don't think a reliever in the NL gets to face the pitcher too often either. XFIP and WAR are pretty similar so there's probably a few ways you can slice it that don't result in an upgrade.

Medina's a project and one that Bosio won't be a part of at first.

Yep, I think it's straightforward- they didn't need a 3rd catcher so they took on a pitching project. Who knows. One positive thing is it frees up a roster spot on the 25-man so there is a bit more wiggle room on the bench.

It should mean way fewer PH opportunities for the likes of Herrera and Ross. Unfortunately, those opportunities may go to Junior Lake until Alcantara, La Stella, and/or Olt get it together.

Well, at least we got more than an infield rake and a can of Simoniz.

I don't get Epstoyer saying Baez will remain at 2B/SS. Unless Bryant is moving to LF, where does Baez play in this infield? Screaming need right now is another SP and a LF who can outhit Coghlan. Would Baez, Alcantara, & Edwards + a top 20-30 prospect be enough for Cole Hamels if Cubs pick up his contract plus option year?

My guess is they want him to focus solely on improving at the plate, and not get "distracted' by taking on a new position right now and/or creating "call-up buzz". If he continues to improve, they'll find a spot for him -- they put Russell at 2B and Mendy in CF in the majors with very little prep.

Gleyber Torres mentioned in BA article on minor league breakout prospects http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/basebal... McKinney mentioned too

waves and waves of prospects...need a few arms in there soon though.

Let's go Underwood, Johnson, Edwards...

let's go trading

Underwood having a good year so far. Would like to see Tseng do better, and Corey Black get his walks down. Don't know what to make of Blackburn, Pineyro, Cease, Sands, Steele, Stinnett.

I actually purchased one of these (well, got it for a gift). As the article states, the Cubs sent a letter saying they were going to be moved to the OF next year and that they were likely to be replaced also. No biggie to me that they through them away as long as they are replaced. And as part of getting a brick, you got an exact replica sent you. I have mine on my desk in my home office.

fun trivia I came across

Name the 3 players have hit 100 HR's and stole 100 bases while members of the Chicago Cubs?

Sosa, Sandberg and Santo?

sosa, sandberg,dunston

Well done. first 2 are easy, figure Dunston would trip some up.

lucky guess, trying to think of fast guys with some pop on Cubs

Jimmy Ryan? Missed it by "that" much.

Ha ha! Well played!

• Hagsag 7 min 48 sec ago (view)

Rizzo wasn't a cancer, he HAD cancer!

• Arizona Phil 3 hours 37 min ago (view)

The Cubs have released AAA Iowa C-INF Tony Wolters so that he can sign a minor league deal with a contending club (if the opportunity presents itself).

Because he was outrighted earlier this season he was not eligible to be traded after 7/30, even though he was on a minor league reserve list and (generally speaking) a player on a minor league reserve list can be traded up until one week prior to the scheduled conclusion of the MLB regular season.

• Arizona Phil 4 hours 10 min ago (view)

So #11 (Ziehl), #12 (Banks), and #19 (Avitia) were the only three 2021 Cubs draft picks who did not sign.

• crunch 7 hours 48 min ago (view)

similar story, similar quotes, different site/author

• QuietMan 8 hours 9 min ago (view)

Cubs: Jed Hoyer clarifies comments about extension talks with former core players - Marquee Sports Network

Sorry I'm having trouble posting the link.

@TonyAndracki23 with the story.

• Wrigley Rat 9 hours 21 min ago (view)

Second contract player Michael Arias, a former infielder-turned-pitcher, made his Cubs system debut today in relief. 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB for DSL Cubs Blue.

• Charlie 13 hours 36 min ago (view)

A GM or owner saying a player "didn't want to sign" or "didn't want to negotiate" should always be read as "we didn't want to pay them."

That said, a GM or owner can always show more finesse by saying, "I hope we can have productive talks this offseason" or something along those lines. Seems like Jed is trying to burn those bridges.

• crunch 13 hours 49 min ago (view)

while not known as a clubhouse cancer, there's more than a few stories about his "leadership qualities" lacking or otherwise being a bit of a jerk at points in time.  they're mostly rumor, and none of the rumors are awful...

reminded a bit of this justin wilson/rizzo exchange back in 2018...

• videographer 14 hours 22 min ago (view)

/With all the player movement in the last week, I wonder if the Cubs are now 85% compliant for vaccinated players.  We know Sogard and Rizzo were not vaccinated and I can assume the players taking their place of the 40 man roster are vaccinated.  It will be an interesting story going forward when all trade noise settles down.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 17 min ago (view)

Agreed on every point. I think Jed is trying to create "his" team, a fully separate entity than Theo. Probably targeting 2023 or 2024 to return to actual contention.

He absolutely shouldn't have aired that out. He ends up looking like the bad guy. This is a good way to burn those bridges.

• crunch 16 hours 46 min ago (view)

jed shouldn't have aired things out so blatently, even if true.

"I don't know why guys didn't want to sign. I don't know why guys didn't want to even counteroffer, oftentimes. Every one of these guys would say they wanted to stay in Chicago, 'we wanted to be a Cub,' but then we would sit down and do negotiations, that wasn't how they acted."

...dude, no.  keep that to yourself.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 57 min ago (view)

After the feel-good videos and goodbyes, Jed decided to say the players didn't seem to want to negotiate and place blame at their feet. Rizzo responded today, basically saying "wtf man, shut up, that's a lie."

I haven't really blamed Jed for much of this as I feel mgmt forced his hand but this... definitely a misstep Jed. And it also makes me wonder, the next core, if they don't want to sign below market extensions, are we gonna see a similar tear down?

• crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

yeah.  i think it would have worked better if they weren't local boys.  better sell on having a built in "friend" in a new, far away place.  still not a bad move for an incentive, though...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 11 hours ago (view)

Was clearly just a signing as an incentive to sign his brother

• crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

david can go ahead and not sign with the cubs if he wishes.

there is absolutely nothing about his game that looks like he could even play A-ball.  his low-division college game is weak and his summer league wood bat game is abysmal.

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

Grand Canyon University's pitching staff got a big boost with recent Phoenix Alhambra High School ace Daniel Avitia deciding not to sign with the Chicago Cubs and, instead, honoring his letter of intent to the NCAA Division I school."

Mostly, they didn't give me the money I wanted," said Avitia, who was asking for $300,000. "The best position for me is to go to GCU and get in the top rounds (after his junior season)." Avitia said that the Cubs wouldn't go any higher than $125,000 in negotiations.