Skulina with Five Strong Frames at Riverview
Natanael Delgado (Angels) drilled a lead-off double, Charcer Burks (Cubs) ripped an RBI single, and Andrew Daniel (Angels) clubbed a two-run home run to highlight a three-run 2nd, and RHSP Tyler Skulina (Cubs) tossed five innings of one-run ball, leading the Angels/Cubs co-op squad to a 4-1 victory over the Diamondbacks in AZ Advanced Instructional League game action this afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the box score from today's game (Cubs players highlighted in bold and underlined)
1. Colin Bray, CF: 1-4 (3-U, 1B, L-9, 4-3)
2. Domingo Leyba, 2B: 2-4 (3-1, L-6, 1B, 1B)
3. Zach Nehrir, LF: 0-4 (5-3, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, 6-3)
4. Austin Byler, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, K, F-7)
5a. Dawel Lugo, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, F-9)
5b. Henry Castillo, 3B: 1-2 (2B, F-7)
6. Stryker Trahan, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, L-4 DP)
7. Grant Heyman, DH: 1-3 (2B, K, K, R)
8a. Jose Herrera, C: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
8b. Tyler Baker, C: 0-1 (K)
9. Sergio Alcantara, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-7, 2B, RBI, SB, CS)
1. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-4 (K, K, 3-1, P-5)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, K, 1B, R, SB)
3. Victor Caratini, C: 0-4 (3-6-1 DP, K, 6-3, 4-3)
4. Natanael Delgado, DH: 2-4 (2B, 1B, K, K, R)
5. Wade Wass, 1B: 1-4 (5-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1B)
6. Charcer Burks, CF 1-4 (1B, P-4, 5-3, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Andrew Daniel, 3B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 RBI)
8. Kody Eaves, SS: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, F-8)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-4, SB)
1. Justin Donatella: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Luis Madero: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Junior Garcia: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jeferson Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Dallas Newton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
1. Tyler Skulina: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 5/6 GO/AO, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Jordan Minch: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Matt Brazis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Steve Perakslis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
DIAMONDBACKS ERRORS: NONE
ANGELS/CUBS ERRORS: NONE
DIAMONDBACKS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jose Herrera: 0-1 CS
2. Tyler Baker: 0-1 CS
ANGELS/CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Victor Caratini: 1-2 CS
ANGELS/CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Charcer Burks - batter (Sergio Alcantara) thrown out 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Cubster 1 hour 58 min ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Hagsag 4 hours 37 min ago (view)
Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.
Karl Pagel Blues 7 hours 19 min ago (view)
Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!
crunch 11 hours 52 min ago (view)
no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning. phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this. lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.
also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.
George Altman 13 hours 39 min ago (view)
Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.
Alexander Dimm 15 hours 42 min ago (view)
Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read. However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it. I hope you can hang in there.
Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.
Childersb3 16 hours 19 min ago (view)
I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.
Hope it stays in any form possible.
Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.
bradsbeard 16 hours 59 min ago (view)
Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.
Sonicwind75 19 hours 14 min ago (view)
Thank you for hosting and maintaining the site. I don't post often but have been visiting since mid 2000s. Really appreciate the information and community of The Cub Reporter. I understand it can be a lot of work to maintain a site but would really hate to see it end.
Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Thank you Phil, I can see this is a work of love.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Cubs Reportedly Sign Powerful Infielder Alejandro Rivero Out of Indy Ball: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/10/21/cubs-reportedly-sign-powe...
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
* except for playing 1st base
crunch 4 days 12 hours ago (view)
a lot of people were all-in on it being a 2022 thing, but given how MLB has held the DH over the player's heads like it's some kind of extremely valuable chip worth more than the players seem to think it's worth...who knows...
Cubster 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
any estimates on the chances of the DH in the NL anytime soon?
crunch 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
k.schwarber is hella good at post-season baseball.