Barnette Throws in EXST Intrasquad Game at Riverview
Danny Zardon and Marcus Mastrobuoni walloped back-to-back solo HR over the LF fence in the bottom of the 1st inning, Luis Diaz tripled, singled, and scored a run, and Herson Perez singled, stole a base. scored a run, and drove-in another with a sacrfice fly for the "A" team, and Widimer Joaquin ripped an RBI double, walked twice, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Raymond Pena (RBI double) and Richard Nunez (RBI single) drilled run-scoring hits to cap a four run 3rd inning for the "B" team, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after six innings of play with the score tied 5-5.
RHRP Tony Barnette (on Cubs MLB 10-day IL - right shoulder inflammation) started the game for the "A" team and threw 14 pitches (8 strikes), recorded four outs (2/2 GO/AO), and allowed a walk before being relieved after he reached his pre-planned pitch limit.
RHSP Erick Leal got the start for the "B" team and was struck on the left leg just below the knee with a high-velocity line-drive off the bat of Luis Diaz in the bottom of the 1st inning and had to be carried off the field. Leal surrendered the back-to-back homers to Zardon and Mastrobuoni just prior to getting hit by the Diaz liner, so needless-to-say it wasn't exactly the best of outings for the right-hander.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Raymond Pena, C: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, K, R, RBI)
2. Richard Nunez, 1B: 1-2 (F-9, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Ricardo Verenzuela,CF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K)
4. Caleb Knight, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, F-7)
5. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 3-6-3 DP, F-7)
6. Ervis Marchan, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-9, R, SB)
7. Widimer Joaquin, SS: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, 2 R, RBI, SB)
8. Rochest Cruz, 3B: 0-1 (F-7, F-7 SF, BB, RBI)
9. Kevin Moreno, LF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, P-4, R)
10. Jose Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-2 (L-5, F-9)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Orian Nunez, C: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
2. Danny Zardon, 1B: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, K, R, 2 RBI)
3. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #1: 2-3 (HR, 3-U, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Luis Diaz, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 3B, F-9, R)
5. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 0-2 (4-3 DP, K)
6. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-1 (1B, L-9 SF, R, RBI, SB)
7. Carlos Pacheco: RF: 1-3 (1B, K, RBI)
8. Oswaldo Pina, SS: 0-2 (L-8 DP, F-7)
9. Albert Hinirio, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erick Leal: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Niels Stone: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/AO, 47 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Chris Allen: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Tony Barnette: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 3.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/4 GO/AO, 55 pitches (31 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 40 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Raymond Pena: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-3 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 21 min 18 sec ago (view)
i dont have ESPN anymore since DirecTV Now raised their prices, so I have to rely on...umm...very legal and very cool ways for my ESPN fix.
Hagsag 29 min ago (view)
Pat and Ron, no Aroid for me.
crunch 40 min 19 sec ago (view)
phew...last ESPN sunday cubs game until the williamsport little leage classic game Aug 18 vs PIT.
i really like the LLClassic and i'm stoked the cubs will play this year. i hope it sticks around for a long time.
QuietMan 1 hour 25 min ago (view)
crunch 2 hours 9 min ago (view)
t.barnette and d.hultzen worked today's IOW game. nice to have emerging options...
d.mekkes is continuing to be a future end-game reliever to keep an eye on, too. he's not making many team prospect lists, and he's not blowing anyone away, but he's steady getting it done.
crunch 2 hours 15 min ago (view)
mike trout will be a cub soon enough. woo! if they package both together the cubs might be able to snag griffin canning along with him.
Arizona Phil 5 hours 14 min ago (view)
If Ben Zobrist were to return to baseball sometime in the next few weeks or next couple of months, keep in mind that he does have a minor league option left, so he (like Craig Kimbrel) could consent to an Optional Assignment to the minors to get into playing shape.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 16 min ago (view)
As of today (6/16), Daniel Descalso and Brad Brach no longer have Article XX-B "no trade" rights and so they can be traded without restriction.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 47 min ago (view)
LF Nelson Maldonado, 3B Grayson Byrd, CF Zac Taylor, INF Jacob Olson, and INF-OF-C Bryce Windham (the five college senior position-player draft picks who officially signed last Tuesday and who have been active in AZL mini-camp for almost a week) should be ready to play in AZL games right from the gitgo.
The sixth college senior position player draft pick signed by the Cubs (LF Darius Hill, who signed officially on Thursday) might not be quite ready on AZL Opening Day.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 57 min ago (view)
Cubs 24th round draft pick 3B Grayson Byrd looks exactly like Justin Turner (at least above the neck). Long red hair and a full red beard. Now if he could only hit like Turner...
Arizona Phil 6 hours 57 min ago (view)
INF-OF Bryce Windham (32nd round pick - Old Dominion) worked out at catcher in "live" BP yesterday, so he could be the 6th Cubs AZL catcher (they really need three on both squads) if they don't add another catcher this week.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 17 min ago (view)
JustSayin': Brendan Sagara is the Mad Scientist who developed & implemented the high-tech Cubs Pitching Lab at the UAPC in Mesa. The Pitching Lab can't turn everybody into Jacob deGrom, but so far it has helped to develop Tyson Miller into a legit MLB SP prospect and bring Danny Hultzen back from the dead.
Jackstraw 13 hours 5 min ago (view)
I was watching the golf waiting for the Cubs to start and of course I fell asleep and then I had the weirdest dream. The Cubs were getting no hit but Darvish was pitching really well and then Jansen blew a save and then Strop actually closed the game out without a guy getting into scoring position. It's not like any of that stuff except the no hitter part could happen.
Sonicwind75 20 hours 48 min ago (view)
Yes indeed, feels like the Cubs stole one. Helluva 9th and another Darvish no decision. Could really use a few more starts like tonight from Darvish.
crunch 20 hours 53 min ago (view)
sweet f'n win. also, MIL lost.
cubs and brewers tied for 1st.
crunch 21 hours 8 min ago (view)
2r HR off jansen in the 9th! cubs lead 2-1!