Clevenger Helps Cubs Gain Split at Talking Stick
Steve Clevenger stroked a double and an RBI single and scored a run, Carlos Penalver ripped a two-run single, walked, and scored a run, and Carlos Rodriguez tossed three innings of shutout ball, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Whirlwind Field, and Yorman Garcia singled twice and drove-in two runs and Justin Bianco singled twice, walked, and scored a run, helping the other squad of D'backs edge the other squad of Cubs 4-3 on Jackrabbit Field, as the Cubs and Diamondbacks split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Clevenger played 3rd base for four innings and then moved to 1st base for the final three frames in the game on Whirlwind Field. He batted five times (once each in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings), and went 2-5 for the day.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B-1B: 2-5 (2B, P-4, 4-3, 1B, L-3 DP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted five times, hitting 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, P-3, R)
2. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, HBP, R)
3. Garrett Schlecht, DH #1: 0-2 (4-3, BB, F-9, R)
4. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-9 SF, 4-6 FC, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 0-1 (HBP, K)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B-DH: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (P-4, L-9)
9. Mark Malave, DH-3B: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rashad Crawford, DH-LF: 0-2 (L-4, 2-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Rodriguez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 27 pitches (19 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-4 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - runner doubled of 1st base 9-3 after L-9
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-4 (K, E-6, 3-U, 1B)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-1 (HBP, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
2c. Rony Rodriguez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-6 FC, BB)
5. Jose Dore, RF: 0-4 (1-3, 3-1, K, P-2)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (K, F-9, BB, BB, R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (3-U, 3-1, 2B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-4 ( 1-3, 4-3, 6-3, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-4 (P-2, K, 1B, K, R, 2 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (25 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (22 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 16 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Larry Suarez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Well I assume Ross is going to catch Lester in the playoffs, and it looks like Contreras is going to catch everyone else. I could see the Cubs keeping three catchers on the playoff roster as it would give them flexibility and Montero would have a left handed bat with some pop (at least historically) off the bench.
Aren't Montero and Ross already in a tie for third catcher?
Higher than Chris Perez's mailbox.
Contreras starting at catcher for a day game after he caught the night before. What do people think the odds are that Montero is left off the post-season roster, or is at best the third catcher?
Does he project as a starter, a relief pitcher, or is it too soon to tell?
Rizzo getting a well deserved breather today with Bryant at 1B. Soler back in lineup batting cleanup and playing LF, otherwise all of the all-stars batting 1-5 again (what a luxury)
in his last 11 innings, he has 21K, 6BB, 4 hits and one ER. Nice!
5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)
sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.
My guy Addy
oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.
Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph
Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?
/Asking for a friend