Caption This!

UPDATE: I wanted to give you guys first shot, but here's mine.

"Just a David Eckstein short of a full set."

Comments

"Big league math! 9 times 2 is... Err..."

holy scrap!

"I'm taller than you..."

"Anyone see Kerry's wife?"

Dayan Viciedo, a 19-year-old third baseman said to be the best player to come out of Cuba in the eight years since Angels prospect Kendry Morales, has defected to South Florida. In Sunday's edition of the Miami Herald, the 6-2 slugger is pictured wearing a Cubs cap.

defecting to the US a few days after the draft?

he should have defected to another country first...maybe it was a moment of opportunity to defect. it'll cost him money, but he'll make more than he would have any way you cut it.

-edit-

oh, he got here end of may...he's just caught up in "the system" of getting paperwork shuffled and lawyers doing lawyering things.

wonder how he'll project in next year's draft.

that kinda looks like a Cubs cap but it's actually a Cuba cap (pretty sure on this one)

He heard that the Cubs were being purchased by a Cuban.

The Cubs trio of little white guys scour the horizon for scrappiness.

Fontenot-" I heard there are alot of fruity guys that like to take pictures of ball players' asses at Dodger Stadium."

Johnson-"Where!?!?! Do you see one!?!?!"

Hey! How'd they get my locker combination?

f'n offdays...at least the next 2 games are night games at "normal" hours (at home, too).

"I hate when they let only tall guys play."

What happened to the Cubs on September 2, 1917?

an early leader...

"Reed Johnsot scans the field for the equipment manager who misspelled his name."

lol

in light of skyrocketing sleevemaking expenses, Sam Zell orders Theriot and Johnson to share an arm

433:

^ LOL Winner!

Johnson: Hey, is that Alyssa Milanno?

No really, the grass out is here actually painted green (not like at Wrigley). Wow, and if you look out past the outfield stands, they have a circus tent!

"So I have about 25% of my portfolio in T - Bills and fixed annuities, my financial guy says that's a good shelter to be in at this time."

"That's interesting, I've got $3MM invested in a real estate trust, but I don't know if that's more of a defensive move or not in this environment. Hey, did you guy's see the market close on Friday?"

Caption:
With Dusty Baker gone, the ban on scrappy white players is lifted.

In the most sarcastic Friends' Chandler voice possible:

"Can they MAKE this railing any higher..?"

"Anybody hear how Pie and Eric did at Iowa today?"

Scrappy, Scrappier, Scrappiest

The evolution of Scrappy

*golf clap*

"Los Angeles, CA 90217"

"9 game win streak, 2 losses in LA, 17 game win streak..."

/so mote it be

"So Ryan, ever heard of this thing called Parachat?"

No caption, but the photo does remind me of these stupid pictures...

You must be 6' to ride this ride

My favorite!

"Don't look back fellas, once Z gets done eating the water jug and fucking the bat rack we will walk slowly to the bench."

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

billybucks 5 hours 6 sec ago view
  • Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 5 hours 49 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 6 hours 17 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 13 hours 46 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 4 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 5 hours ago view