Cubs Bunting Tourney Update and Other Notes
- Let's see if I kept track here correctly in the bunting tourney. First round winners to date include:
Position Player's Bracket
- (16) Szczur over (1) Lake
- (9) Cardenas over (8) Vitters
- (12) J. Mota over (5) Brenly
- (4) Lalli over (13) Adduci
- (11) B. Jackson over (6) Ha
- (3) W. Castillo over (14) Sappelt
- (7) Clevenger over (10) Campana
- (2) LaHair over (15) Rizzo
- (1) Mather over (16) E. Gonzalez
- (9) Barney over (8) Scales
- (5) Castro over (12) J. Jaramillo
- (4) Stewart over (13) Tolbert
- (11) Soto over (6) DeWitt
- (3) Baker over (14) Amezaga
- (7) Byrd over (10) Johnson
- (2) DeJesus over (15) Soriano
- (1) J. Beliveau over (16) A. Cabrera
- (8) L. Castillo over (9) C. Weathers
- (12) McNutt over (5) Carrilo
- (13) Dolis over (4) Jay Jackson
- (6) Rhee over (11) Gaub
- (14) Rusin over (3) Bussy
- (10) Maine over (7) Parker
- (2) Coleman over (15) Mateo
- (1) T. Wood over (16) Caridad
- (9) Samardzija over (8) Russell
- (12) Wells over (5) Volstad
- (4) Sonnastine over (13) Corpas
- (11) Marmol over (6) Garza
- (3) Maholm over (14) Lopez (originally postponed due to Maholm being sick)
- (10 Dempster over (7) T. Miller
- (15) Sveum over (2) Kerry Wood
2nd Round Matchups are:
Position Players' Bracket
- (9) Cardenas vs. (16) Szczur
- (4) Lalli vs. (12) Mota
- (3) W. Castillo vs. (11) B. Jackson
- (2) LaHair vs. (7) Clevenger
- (1) Mather vs. (9) Barney
- (4) Stewart vs. (5) Castro
- (3) Baker vs. (11) Soto
- (2) DeJesus vs. (7) Byrd
- (1) Beliveau vs. (8) L. Castillo
- (12) McNutt vs. (13) Dolis
- (6) Rhee vs. (14) Rusin
- (2) Coleman vs. (10) Maine
- (1) T. Wood vs. (9) Samardzija
- (4) Sonnastine vs. (12) Wells
- (11) Marmol vs. Maholm/Lopez winner (Update: Maholm beat Lopez)
- (10) Dempster vs. (15) Sveum
- It appears Jeff Samardzija is a bit of a Kenny Powers fan.
- The Cubs will play some intrasquad games Friday and Saturday, with Cactus League play beginning on Sunday. Rodrigo Lopez gets the starting nod on Sunday. He'll be followed by Ryan Dempster on Monday and Matt Garza on Tuesday.
- Carlos Marmol spent the offseason riding horses and starring in romantic novels or something like that.
Arizona Phil 3 hours 23 min ago (view)
The top four DSL Cubs position player prospects (SS Cristian Hernandez, C Moises Ballesteros, INF Pedro Ramirez, and OF Frank Hernandez) have been added to the Cubs AZIL roster (see updated roster in post above).
Arizona Phil 21 hours 40 min ago (view)
Dillon Maples does not have the right to elect free-agency if he is outrighted to the minors, but he will be automatically declared an MLB Rule 9 6YFA at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series if he is not added back to the 40 in the meantime.
crunch 21 hours 53 min ago (view)
p.wisdom is the new cubs all-time rookie HR leader.
Arizona Phil 23 hours 10 min ago (view)
The Cubs will very likely be splitting the AZIL position players into two 14-man squads (like they did last year), with each squad playng in every other-game, and with the other squad having a Camp Day instructional work-out on a back-field when that squad is not playing in a game. There will also be five combined Camp Days during the course of the four weeks for all players from both squads.
Arizona Phil 23 hours 33 min ago (view)
DJL: No. Signing a 2022 minor league successor contract would only matter with regard to a player in the Arizona Fall League, because the AFL schedule goes past the date when minor leaguers are declared free-agents.
AZ Instructs ends on October 16th, which is about two or three weeks before minor league free-agency, so the three guys at Cubs Instructs who are eligible to be free-agehts after the World Series (Dakota Chalmers. Nicholas Padilla, and Eury Ramos) do not need to sign successor contracts in order to play in AZIL games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Sorry to hear about your dad, Charlie. I lost my father almost 2 years ago now, some of my fondest childhood memories are going to Wrigley with him.
All the best wishes to you, sir.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
If you had Bote in the '11-'12- '13 Cubs draft dead pool, then you are a winner!
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Dakota Chalmers... interesting. He's scheduled to be a MILB FA, correct? Would this be a good sign he has signed a successor deal?
Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Maples dfa. Double Martini too. Hoerner and Thompson back and Keegan to start today. Hoerner bats 5th.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
it's never a good time to be in the hospital, but things are extra complicated right now.
hope everything goes well for everyone.
Charlie 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Listening to this in a hospital room because we are blacked out on MLB.tv. I don't know which surprises me more, that the Cubs haven't beaten the Brewers since April or that the Cubs beat the Brewers in April.
crunch 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
m.rodriguez to 10d IL, a.morgan returns.
Jackstraw 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
I like that the team was absolutely committed to not losing back-to-back games on a walk-off passed ball.
Eric S 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
And the funny thing is Rucker was the only Cubs pitcher tonight to post 0 runs allowed in the box score. You know things are really out of hand when Ross gives the okay for a Maples appearance.
George Altman 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
Is there a reason Preciado hasn't been in an ACL game in about a month?
crunch 3 days 18 hours ago (view)
i'd like the 2021 version of whatever d.ross is smoking bringing m.rucker into a bases loaded, 2 run lead in the 4th situation.
dude saw the situation and said "gimmie that guy with the 8.44era 1.59whip" as the first pen option to protect a lead.
rucker has been in 13 games and given up runs in 8 of them.