Angels Pummel Cubs as Brett Jackson Completes Rehab
J. C. Rodriguez knocked-in six runs with an RBI single, a two-run double, and a three-run home run, leading the EXST Angels to a 10-2 thrashing of the EXST Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was extended an extra couple of innings so that all of the pitchers who were due to throw today could get their scheduled work.
OF Brett Jackson (on Tennessee Smokies DL with finger injury) completed his rehab assignment today in Tempe, playing six innings in CF and going 1-4.at the plate. The Cubs #1 position player prospect hit everything to the opposite field today, roping a line-drive RBI single over the shortstop’s head in his first AB, flying out to LF his next time up, getting called out on strikes (frozen by a slow curve) in his 3rd plate appearance, and grounding out to the shortstop in his final AB.
Over his two rehab games (eight PA) at EXST, Jackson hit 375/375/625 (1B, 4-3, K, 3B, 1B, F-7, K, 6-3). He will be rejoining the Tennessee Smokies on Monday.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Oliver Zapata, DH-CF: 1-4 (2B, K, 1-U, K, R)
2. Marco Hernandez, 2B: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, F-7, 1B)
3. Brett Jackson, CF-DH: 1-4 (1B, F-7, K, 6-3, RBI)
4. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 1-3 (L-7, 1-3, 2B, R)
5. Wilson Contreras, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, 1B, RBI)
6. Yaniel Cabezas, C-DH: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 1-3)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, 1-3)
8. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-3 (L-6, 5-3, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 4-3, 4-3)
10. Blair Springfield, LF: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Johan DeJesus, C: 0-2 (F-8, 5-3)
1. Austin Reed: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (5 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2 GIDP, 61 pitches (33 strikes), 9/0 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Colin Richardson: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Jean Sandoval: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Yilver Sanchez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
1. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Wes Darvill - E6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Marco Hernandez - E4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
14 in attendance. What's the record for attendance in the fall? I guess I should ask what the record attendance listed is in one of your recaps.
I was there too, with my grown son. This is my miracle year-- I rose to the top of the season ticket list after eight years, completely unexpectedly, and my wonderful wife agreed to put the ticket fee on the emergency credit card. The whole point of course was that the Cubs were going to be good this year, and then for a while, so to get season tickets with the guaranteed shot at the postseason was incredible timing. We got to the remote lot at 4:10 after stopping at Nhu Lan for our usual banh mi sandwiches, only to find the lot full, way earlier than normal.
Wrigley was electric tonite
Not many card fans
Video board was great, they played "there goes my hero" by foos over ryno highlights before he came out. Spectacular
Good times hopefully they win tomorrow but think Lester will beat poopy pants on Wednesday.
Happy 4th anniversary of Theo's signing
Go Cubs !
Yeah. "Goodbye!" is a lame HR call.
I miss Len and JD -- although, driving home from a friend's, WBBM played all 6 HR calls in a row -- and Len got to call the Bryant/Rizzo back-to-back. Very fun.
Lackey has been a beast against us. His stats on 3 days rest, however, not as nice. There is plenty of hope.
And, no dreadlocks grown yet.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
In the wild card game he mentioned that aram started with the Pirates, then played for the Brewers, and now he's back with the Pirates. Uhhhh, missed a step there, guy.
i like ron darling the person, the interview, and the studio desk guy...but him calling a game can lead to some really stupid stuff coming out of his mouth.
If you think these announcers are bad ,the ones doing the Mets vs Dodgers (Ron Darling ,Cal Ripken and someone else)
are worse they did the wildcard game I never knew Joe Jackson and Derrick Fowler played for the Cubs this year you
would think there would be research by them.
Soler's OPS in the NLDS? 3.750.
...and HRs are good.
Theo: "So, let's see...should we put Soler on the post-season roster? Ummmm, yeah, I mean what the hell."
Wow -- if he can bring that focus and plate discipline next year -- yowza! Seems like Manny has really helped him.
1st team hit hit 6HR in a game in the postseason. woo.