Don't Quit Your Day Job, Carlos

From a link on the new blog by Paul DePodesta (really), here's Carlos Zambrano helping out "career minor leaguer Ron Stilanovich" and his Hardball video series.

Lesson #19: Taking One For the Team

Comments

I thought this was brilliant. There's a whole series up on YouTube featuring various big leaguers. Carlos's may be the best.

Yeah, someone posted this link on here a few weeks ago. I thought all of them were hilarious. Especially "hobo ambush"!

Wow. That's amazing.

At first, I thought it was for real. Then I'm like, why's he coming out of a port-a-john?

Love the Z. Good stuff.

Wait, that's not real?

Fantastico!

I saw this a few months ago. I can't remember where I saw the link, but after I watched it, I added it to my favorites list as fast as I could. Hilarious stuff.

Hilarious! Love the ending where he hopes the check clears. Now if we could only get someone in the Cubs front office to start a blog just like Paul...

Or better yet, get Paul in the Cubs front office.

completely, 3/44

Thanks Rip Van Winkle!

But - its still REALLY funny.

Then I guess Theriot got to the majors by watching this video countless times...

Heh. Nice vid.

I just showed this to a co-worker. He read the thread and his first question was, "What's 3/44?"

Maybe it's time for us to provide a glossary for newbies. We have a rich lexicon, including gems like "Cubbery", "...in my pants" and "Johann's Mom". :-)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

This is part community and part fraternity. So, when you are a newbie, you hang around and learn by osmosis. it's part of the rite of passage.

Don't listen to Chad, I'll eventually add some of our memes to the FAQ page, just been a little slow on updating that.

that's crap. you were not in a fraternity.

I definitely was not in a fraternity...and we shall leave it at that.

sorority?

*golf clap*

well-played

This is where Real Neal would chime in about Rob having a monthly visitor.

wasn't the third guy up, the little righty...Reed Johnson?

New from Gordo this morning....

The Cubs appear poised to sign veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds soon after he clears waivers Wednesday.

...multiple Cubs sources said the team plans to pursue Edmonds, and one said Edmonds has told his agent to talk to no one before talking to the Cubs.

I don't have a problem taking a risk on a cheap lefty bat that may turn out to be dependable, but does it have to be Jim freaking Edmonds? I hate him so much. I really dislike him. It's going to be really, really hard for me to get behind this one, Jimbo.

In a word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Resist the urge to make a worthless change. I would sooner take Lofton over this guy. I'll take Pie's fielding and impatient bat over a possible clubhouse cancer and finished ballplayer. That reeks of a Dusty/current Reds mindset. Nooooooooo. You got me?

This one's the best of that series:

• so...

anyone else ready for the all-star break? =p

it's been a tough past couple weeks...except that reds series. i miss playing the reds. that was cool.

• To take my mind of this latest disaster...wow, I thought baseball money was crazy, but NBA money is now super-wacko crazy. Joakim Noah is 31 with bad knees and absolutely no offensive game. He can't make a layup. The Knicks just agreed to pay him $72M over 4 years. Holy crap.

• "if"?

• Thank you, Jason, for allowing me to get to bed at a decent hour. Very thoughtful.

It will be very interesting to see what Theo does at the deadline. Of course, if Jake doesn't get straightened out, it really doesn't matter. A lot of Jake's comments this year, and his posing for nudie pics in the ESPN magazine, rang some alarm bells -- after one great year (and it was amazingly great), his head has swelled tremendously. Jake, look up the word "hubris", then look in the mirror.

• ...and we're back from the 3rd rain delay.

• at least the cubs have a decent backup of...ummmm....well the minor league system has...uhhh...hmmm.

maybe adam warren can manage to throw less than 100 pitches in 5 innings? no?

well damn.

• Not to worry -- I'm sure Hammel will finish strong in the 2nd half of the season (~sad chuckle, reaches for Scotch bottle~).

• Hammel has had a rather challenging last month. I am hoping post-break that Hendrix gets pushed ahead of him. They'll be lucky to win a game in NY

• hey, alright...cubs losing by 9 and a 3rd rain delay. awesome.

• If baseball does not work out for Patton, I think he's got a future in Civil War re-enactments. He's got a solid Johnny-Reb look to him.

Eric S 7 hours 23 min ago view
  • David Ross - the mound awaits you.

Eric S 7 hours 30 min ago view
  • RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.

10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.

• Nimmo certainly does not want to see the Cubs leave town. His first MLB rbi last night and now his first HR.

At least Hammel is eating some innings ... this is the kind of game Peralta should be used if at all.

Eric S 7 hours 42 min ago view
  • OK, the hell with it.

It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.

Other than sweeping the Reds -- a bad team actively trying to lose -- this will make 8 losses in 9 games to good teams (Cards, Marlins, Mets). Not good at all.

• Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?

Eric S 8 hours 7 min ago view
  • And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.

No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.