Don't Quit Your Day Job, Carlos

From a link on the new blog by Paul DePodesta (really), here's Carlos Zambrano helping out "career minor leaguer Ron Stilanovich" and his Hardball video series.

Lesson #19: Taking One For the Team

Comments

I thought this was brilliant. There's a whole series up on YouTube featuring various big leaguers. Carlos's may be the best.

Yeah, someone posted this link on here a few weeks ago. I thought all of them were hilarious. Especially "hobo ambush"!

Wow. That's amazing.

At first, I thought it was for real. Then I'm like, why's he coming out of a port-a-john?

Love the Z. Good stuff.

Wait, that's not real?

Fantastico!

I saw this a few months ago. I can't remember where I saw the link, but after I watched it, I added it to my favorites list as fast as I could. Hilarious stuff.

Hilarious! Love the ending where he hopes the check clears. Now if we could only get someone in the Cubs front office to start a blog just like Paul...

Or better yet, get Paul in the Cubs front office.

completely, 3/44

Thanks Rip Van Winkle!

But - its still REALLY funny.

Then I guess Theriot got to the majors by watching this video countless times...

Heh. Nice vid.

I just showed this to a co-worker. He read the thread and his first question was, "What's 3/44?"

Maybe it's time for us to provide a glossary for newbies. We have a rich lexicon, including gems like "Cubbery", "...in my pants" and "Johann's Mom". :-)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

This is part community and part fraternity. So, when you are a newbie, you hang around and learn by osmosis. it's part of the rite of passage.

Don't listen to Chad, I'll eventually add some of our memes to the FAQ page, just been a little slow on updating that.

that's crap. you were not in a fraternity.

I definitely was not in a fraternity...and we shall leave it at that.

sorority?

*golf clap*

well-played

This is where Real Neal would chime in about Rob having a monthly visitor.

wasn't the third guy up, the little righty...Reed Johnson?

New from Gordo this morning....

The Cubs appear poised to sign veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds soon after he clears waivers Wednesday.

...multiple Cubs sources said the team plans to pursue Edmonds, and one said Edmonds has told his agent to talk to no one before talking to the Cubs.

I don't have a problem taking a risk on a cheap lefty bat that may turn out to be dependable, but does it have to be Jim freaking Edmonds? I hate him so much. I really dislike him. It's going to be really, really hard for me to get behind this one, Jimbo.

In a word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Resist the urge to make a worthless change. I would sooner take Lofton over this guy. I'll take Pie's fielding and impatient bat over a possible clubhouse cancer and finished ballplayer. That reeks of a Dusty/current Reds mindset. Nooooooooo. You got me?

This one's the best of that series:

• it's been a while since joe's over-managed a game...it's gotta feel good for him to be back in the saddle making people's scorecards look like their pens blew up.

crunch 34 min 54 sec ago view
  • Fuck a bench spot on the playoff roster, Coghlan is competing to bat cleanup.

John Beasley 2 hours 50 min ago view
  • barely any...especially for an evening game. place looks 1/2 full at best to start the game.

• Listening on the radio. Are there any fans in the stands at all?

Brick 3 hours 21 min ago view
  • "An MRI taken Monday on the right side of Jorge Soler showed no major damage."

• rare air though if he can keep it under 2. Sounds like Maddon already made up his mind though and Hendricks seems like the sort that would want to earn it. Guessing he gets a quick hook if he's still under 2 after 5 innings.

Fwiw, he can give up 1 ER in 5 innings (or more) and still be under 2. If he gives up 2 ER, he would need throw 9 IP to keep it under 2. 1 ER in 4 IP would give him an ERA of exactly 2.

In terms of WAR, it's still Scherzer by a lot (6.4), then Cueto (5.6), Lester (5.5), Kershaw (5.5), Roark (5.4), and then Hendricks (5.1)

• Boring lineup tonight in terms of guys trying to reach milestones -- no KB (40 HR), Addy (100 RBI) or JHey (can he keep it going?), and Lackey isn't really going for anything, plus the team has already reached 100 wins. I get the "rest" thing, although they will have 4 days off after Sunday, but....bleh.

• Agree -- I think you want to keep him on a regular schedule.

• Ramos torn ACL

jacos 7 hours 8 min ago view
  • Sure, its not about his record.

jacos 7 hours 10 min ago view
  • Do you start him Sunday or not?

@jonmorosi Pitchers w/ sub-2.00 ERA in year of 185+ IP this century: Pedro ’00, Clemens ’05, Kershaw ’13/’14, Arrieta ’15, Greinke ’15, Hendricks ’16.

• Yeah -- that would be rough for him. But, Monty is getting people out, he's a lefty and he has experience working out of the bullpen. Hammel? None of the above.

• even if he's not starting, abandoning hammel would be a bit of a 'screw you.' i think it might be -monty +hammel, but it's speculation.

either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.

• Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

- 4 starters, Chapman, Rondon, Strop, CJ, Wood, Grimm, Monty. No dice for Cahill or Smith.
    - 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?

• Cubs 3B Jason Vosler made two really bad throws on consecutive AB in the 8th. Fortunately the game was no longer in doubt at the time

The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.

Arizona Phil 11 hours 13 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Despite the HR, Donnie Dewees is really more of a slash hitter (the HR was an opposite-field line-drive) who can accumulate lots of doubles & triples. He's also a good bunter and can get on base that way, too. Although he was thrown out trying to steal in the game, he's actually a good base-stealer and baserunner.

Defensively he has plus-range and tracks fly balls OK, so he can play CF, but he has a rag arm that requires the middle infielders to go out further into CF to make relays.

Arizona Phil 11 hours 14 min ago view