Cubs Lay Lumber on D'backs at Riverview
Fernando Kelli collected three singles and a walk, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Gioskar Amaya drilled an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored three runs, Wladimir Galindo blasted a three-run HR, Marcus Mastrobuoni laced an RBI double, singled and scored, and walked, Abraham Rodriguez doubled and scored and drew a bases-loaded walk to force-in a run, Dalton Hurd singled twice, scored two runs, and knocked-in another, and Rochest Cruz rifled an RBI single and a triple and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the Diamondbacks in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs bashed-out 16 hits (ten singles, four doubles, a triple, and a HR) and drew five walks to propel the high-octane offense that was on display in the game.
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that hosted the D'backs consisted of elements of both the Cubs "A" team and the Cubs "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 2-5 (6-3, 2B, E-6, 1B, K, 3 R, RBI, SB)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, K, BB, HR, R, 3 RBI)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-3 (1B, 2B, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (2B, P-6, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, F-8, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, DH #2: 0-2 (E-6, F-7, R, RBI)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH-DH: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, L-9)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (1B, F-7, 5-3, K, RBI)
10. Rochest Cruz, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-3, 3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
11. Widimer Joaquin, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped 3rd & 4th times thru batting order
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Manuel Espinoza: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Herson Perez: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS, 1 PO, 1 PB
1. Rochest Cruz - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to take extra base on RBI single
2. Carlos Pacheco - thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 7 hours 31 min ago (view)
pen manages to string 2 good innings together...in a row!
the cubs are 8-2.
the cards are 2-3. the marlins are 2-1.
we're 1/6th of the way into this and who knows how much longer it will last...
crunch 7 hours 47 min ago (view)
"what i wouldn't give to have a man bun and a 99mph fastball" - JD on staumont
crunch 7 hours 52 min ago (view)
Eric S 8 hours 22 sec ago (view)
The Adjunct Professor was dealing tonite
crunch 8 hours 17 min ago (view)
a.mills is good for 140+ pitches, right?
*looks at pen* uh...right?
he was shakey through the first 2ip and stellar since.
Cubster 8 hours 18 min ago (view)
The Cardinals have to test negative for the next two days for the Cub-Cardinal series to happen this weekend (per Len Kasper)
crunch 10 hours 39 min ago (view)
game time delayed 30m
crunch 10 hours 47 min ago (view)
m.soroka (ATL) is having to be helped off the field unable to put weight on his right leg.
it looks like he really screwed something in his calf/foot area that's not specifically the ankle.
crunch 12 hours 38 min ago (view)
bryant(LF) / rizzo / baez / contreras / schwarber(DH) / bote(3rd) / heyward / hoerner / happ
crunch 13 hours 44 min ago (view)
"take off your mask while you eat/drink" indoor venues has been one of the stupidest missteps in this whole thing. i can safely say if i've been hearing this in covid briefings at work for months that government leaders have, too.
it's one of the most disasterous missteps we've taken during re-opening and there is little american appetite for ending it on a government or "personal responsibility" level.
crunch 13 hours 52 min ago (view)
the "field of dreams" game that absolutely no one asked for, wanted, or cared about (STL/CWS) has been cancelled.
Cubster 14 hours 46 min ago (view)
MSNBC: 13 members of the Cardinals organization are positive, 7 players, 6 staff.
Sportswriters saying that the Criteria for shutting down the season is 3-4 teams with uncontrolled spread.
Entire series between Tigers-Cards canceled.
Hanging by threads...
Charlie 14 hours 53 min ago (view)
Charlie 14 hours 56 min ago (view)
Dang. That map suggests he's right on the border of being blocked, even though MLB says he's not according to his zip. We'll see about the IP address. Thanks!
Charlie 15 hours 1 min ago (view)
They should absolutely know better BUT let's all remember that there are other authorities responsible for allowing those venues to open.
Cubster 15 hours 14 min ago (view)
Cards-Tigers tonight is cancelled and supposedly tomorrow's game is iffy.