Cubs Lay Lumber on D'backs at Riverview
Fernando Kelli collected three singles and a walk, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Gioskar Amaya drilled an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored three runs, Wladimir Galindo blasted a three-run HR, Marcus Mastrobuoni laced an RBI double, singled and scored, and walked, Abraham Rodriguez doubled and scored and drew a bases-loaded walk to force-in a run, Dalton Hurd singled twice, scored two runs, and knocked-in another, and Rochest Cruz rifled an RBI single and a triple and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 12-3 drubbing of the Diamondbacks in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs bashed-out 16 hits (ten singles, four doubles, a triple, and a HR) and drew five walks to propel the high-octane offense that was on display in the game.
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that hosted the D'backs consisted of elements of both the Cubs "A" team and the Cubs "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 3-4 (6-3, 1B, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB, PO)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 3B: 2-5 (6-3, 2B, E-6, 1B, K, 3 R, RBI, SB)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, K, BB, HR, R, 3 RBI)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 2-3 (1B, 2B, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
5. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (2B, P-6, BB, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, F-8, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, DH #2: 0-2 (E-6, F-7, R, RBI)
7b. Richard Nunez, PH-DH: 1-2 (5-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-3 (6-3, BB, 1B, L-9)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (1B, F-7, 5-3, K, RBI)
10. Rochest Cruz, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-3, 3B, 4-3, R, RBI)
11. Widimer Joaquin, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped 3rd & 4th times thru batting order
1. Eduarniel Nunez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/4 GO/AO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Manuel Espinoza: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Herson Perez: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS, 1 PO, 1 PB
1. Rochest Cruz - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to take extra base on RBI single
2. Carlos Pacheco - thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 6 hours 48 min ago (view)
plus, on road trips he's within limitations of carry on luggage size so he doesn't need a ticket. that adds up over time and that's how you end up signing guys like c.kimbrel.
Eric S 7 hours 15 min ago (view)
Good. He’s been a hell of a lot more productive in relief than some higher salaried guys in the Cubs pen.
QuietMan 8 hours 30 min ago (view)
Tim Collins opted to stay in the organization afterall. Pitched for ICubs today.
Hagsag 11 hours 14 min ago (view)
Barnette that is.
Hagsag 11 hours 14 min ago (view)
Any guess who will be leaving when Kimbrel arrives? It’s got to be Brach unless they drop Barnett’s.
Eric S 11 hours 46 min ago (view)
Nice job by Strop - fastball 94 and slider looking good.
crunch 11 hours 46 min ago (view)
cubs win, brews win, STL plays tonight.
night game vs ATL tomorrow. STL+MIL off day.
btw, the next 3 games vs ATL will be wrigley night games.
Eric S 12 hours 1 min ago (view)
It’s about time the Mets craptastic bullpen showed up for this series
Eric S 12 hours 7 min ago (view)
El Mago with the three run shot to right field!!!
Nice job by Hamels - 7 innning quality start and kept the game close.
Back to back three hit games by JHey also encouraging
crunch 12 hours 11 min ago (view)
baez makes career #100 count. unf.
Eric S 13 hours 45 min ago (view)
Cubs doing a nice job of elevating Alonzo’s player of the week candidacy. Freddie Freeman having a week/month too.
Eric S 13 hours 56 min ago (view)
Who can forget Joe reaching for and pulling an imaginary beard from the mound to signal for Schlitter? It was all good until a 97 mph sinker was slammed over outfield wall. Good times.
Eric S 13 hours 58 min ago (view)
Seems to me the Cubs/Jedstein would lean to acquiring an impact outfield bat vs infielder, all things being equal. A healthy and productive Zobrist would be nice as well.
Eric S 14 hours 7 min ago (view)
Caratini‘s regression to the mean weekend continues. Sigh
Thankfully Hamels comes through with a two out rbi single
Arizona Phil 15 hours 42 min ago (view)
Busy day for ex-Cub pitchers: Mariners call-up Matt Carasiti (ST NRI released by Cubs earlier this month), A's call-up ex-Cub Brian Schlitter (hasn't pitched in MLB since 2015), and Marlins outright ex-Cub Dan Straily (acquired along with Addison Russell and Billy McKinney from OAK in the Samardzija/Hammel trade in 2014, and then traded to HOU with Luis Valbuena for Dexter Fowler in 2015).
Eric S 17 hours 24 min ago (view)
Righty reliever Tony Barnette activated and Rowan Wick optioned to Iowa. Barnette has been pitching well of late in AAA.